Italy trip with 2 teens for Aug. 2013...seeking advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm not quite sure how this works as I haven't posted a question before; however, I have read a lot of the topics from others and have the Rick Steves book. I am looking for any advice on planning a trip to Italy with our family of 4 (including 2 teens, girl 13 and boy 16). We are looking at going in August, 2013 for about 8-9 days. I know August isn't the best time but that's what fits our schedule. My husband and kids have not been to Italy before and the last time I went was in 1989 with a backpack and youth hosteling so this is very different for me. My thoughts are to fly into Venice (3 nights), train to Naples (2-3 nights), train to Rome (3 nights) and fly out of Rome. I really want the kids to see Venice and Rome and they really want to go to Pompeii so I definitely want to fit that in. I was thinking that if we stayed in Naples, we could day trip to Pompeii. Does anyone have any other suggestions such as staying in Sorrento instead of Naples or would we be better to stay longer in Rome and daytrip to Pompeii from there? Also, for 3 night stays, should I look at hotels or apartments? Would guided tours to such as the Forum/Coliseum be advisable?
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 08:55 AM

While I absolutely love Sorrento, I think in your case - essentially a first trip, and only 8-9 days, you should stick to Venice and Rome and if you want do a day trip to Pompeii. Lots of people do that. That way also you can decide after you get there if you really want to do the day trip. If everyone loves Rome and doesn't want to then you can just stay there and skip Pompeii. Otherwise, it's easy enough to get the train tickets the day before. Another possible day trip from Rome is Orvieto (for a taste of a smaller city, hilltop location). With only two bases (Venice and Rome) you could also do a possible day trip from Venice (such as Padua or Verona). This gives you maximum flexibility and the possibility of seeing up to four places.

I would go with hotels - you aren't even staying a week in each location and there is a lot to be said for having a staff to ask questions of, etc. I generally have been able to find very decent hotels for the same cost as decent apartments. On such a short trip you probably are not going to be spend tons of time in the hotel/apt/room anyway.
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 08:55 AM

IMHO to many places in too few days. If you have 3 full days (4 nights) in each of 3 places you would have to be in the gorund 12 days.

Your calculations are off - or you are counting the same day 2 or 3 times.
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 09:03 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Is Pompeii all you want to see in the Naples/Sorrento area? If so, I think I would just do a day trip from as it would be a long day of travel from Venice to Naples/Sorrento (5 1/2 hours on the train to Naples and another 75 minutes to Sorrento). From Venice, you would have to change trains in either Bologna or Rome although there are a few trains during the day that don't require a change (times might not work out for you though).

If you do want to stay in the area, Sorrento has a more small town feel since your other cities are so much bigger, it might be a nice change.

It will be very hot in August so make sure you get something with AC. You need to state your budget if you want suggestions for places to stay.

For guided tours, most sites allow you to book a tour with them (cheapest) or buy admission tickets and rent their audio guides. You can also download Rick Steves walking tours for many sites, free on ITunes. You can book outside tours/guides which are usually more expensive.

If there is any way, I would add more days to the trip if you haven't already booked flights. Does your 8-9 days include your flight days? Three nights in Rome doesn't give you three days.

Day 1 - Venice
Day 2 - Venice
Day 3 - Venice
Day 4 - Naples (mostly travel all day)
Day 5 - Naples
Day 6 - Naples
Day 7 - Rome (plus travel from Naples so not a full day)
Day 8 - Rome
Day 9 - Depart

Getting to and from transport, traveling, checking in and out of hotels takes time. You will not have as much time as you think with only 8-9 days. I think most people on this board would say limit your stays to 2 places in that amount of time.
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

I haven't yet booked flights but I am not including my flight days. The 8-9 days is # of full days there.
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 09:15 AM

Very short time frame. Pompei is easy to reach from rome: 1 hour of high speed train + 15' of local train "circumvesuviana". The Circumvesuviana gets to Sorrento as well, so you can stay in either place (http://www.eavcampania.it/web/).
Personally, I love Naples (and the coast from Sorrento to Amalfi, including the magical Ravello).
High speed train from Venice to Naples will take roughly 5 hours.
Recap:
- you can do your itinerary, but you are going to squeeze really many things in a few days (and invest a lot of time in transportation
- Staying in Rome, with a day trip to Naples sounds less attractive, but may be more reasonable
- If you decide to skip naples, you may consider a stop over in Florence (it's on the Venice-Rome line). Get off the train, leave your lugages at the station deposit, enjoy the town, continue to Rome.

Hope this helps. If you would like some additional ideas, you can visit my travel blog www.delightfullyitaly.com
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 09:22 AM

I agree with keeping it to two bases, doing 3/4 nights Venice and 4/5 nights Rome, depending on the amount of time you actually have. Our kids lobbied to go to Pompeii when we went to Italy and we did a day trip from Rome. It worked out really well. It's a long day to be sure, but it was one of the best of our trip!
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 09:23 AM

I agree---Venice and Rome with a day trip to Pompeii.