5 days in italy. PLEASE HELP !!!

Old Sep 29th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 days in italy. PLEASE HELP !!!

hi there - i got only 5 days in italy. landing in venice 13th and flying back from rome on 19th. thought of spending 13th,14th in venice and leaving for rome on 15th morning. Really wanted to spend 1 day in Amalfi coastline (where ever i can go directly from venice). Got no rental car. Which places are a MUST in venice and Rome. Where should i go to Amalfi coastline.
Many Many Thanks for helping me out cause i am tired of scratching my head !!!
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 12:24 PM

I don't have much of anything practical to offer here, but you are definitely striving for too many places in too little time. You'd basically have one day in each location, with one day in transit between each of them.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 12:32 PM

As an experienced troll, you should consider scratching another, less obvious part of your anatomy.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 12:37 PM

with such little time forget the idea of going to Amalfi. However, if you really want to see it, I would go from Rome not from Venice. I don't know if you want to do it as a day trip or spend a night there.
If you just want to do it as a day trip you really HAVE to leave very early from Rome, take and Eurostar to Naples. From Naples Piazza Garibaldi, there are local trains going to VIETRI SUL MARE-AMALFI, The ride takes about 1 hour from Naples.
Or you can take the circumvesuviana from Naples to Sorrento and from there take a Sita bus to any of the Amalfi Coast towns.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

i was checking the distance from venice to rome (4.50 hrs) and from venice to Spoleto (5.50 hrs) via EuroRail. So, thought of going directly from venice - stay overnight and next day take a train to rome (1 hr at the most). But is Spoleto worth a visit ??? Assisi takes 2 hrs from Rome and 6 hrs from venice. So i ruled that out. What do u suggest...
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 02:01 PM

Hi
since this is your first-ever posting, you should listen to the sensible advice.
Alternatively, add in Assisi, Spoleto, Amalfi, and anywhere else you can think of.
2 or 3 hours in each place would be a good sampling.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 05:34 PM

At this point, as you haven't made up your mind yet, rather than going to Spoleto, I would spend a day in Florence. There is a direct train from Venice, it takes about 3 hours by Eurostar, no changes, and then from Florence go to Rome also with a Eurostar (it takes about 1 1/1 hours). FLorence has a richer artistic heritage, IMO
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

sorry for the late response... hey - thanks for all your responses. I guess i shall take a stop at florence for 1 day. I was kinda avoiding florence cause we are not a lot into art. But looks like florence will be the best bet. Also, it would be a great help if anyone could help me with the "MUST SEE" in venice and Rome. I collected info on florence. But for venice and Rome - i am still not able to prioritize.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 06:16 AM

Are your flights already set? Because you could easily spend all the time in Rome and see a lot, not wasting time in trains. I'm going there next week for 11 days between Rome, Florence and Venice and for me it's not enough. Imagine five days!!!! That's the time I'll be in Rome alone. Anyway, good luck!
Although I haven't been there, here are the "must see" places in my opinion:
Venice-St Mark's Basilica and square, Doge's Palace, maybe a gondola ride? and just wandering the streets and canals.
Rome-St Peter's Basilica, Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel, Colisseum, Forum, and some walkable sights like Trevi Fountain and Piazza Navona, and of course a stop for gelato and pizza. If you have time, Galleria Borghese, an important museum but note that you have to book entry in advance and they give two hours to see it. You can reserve tickets at http://www.ticketeria.it/ticketeria/borghese-eng.asp

Have a great trip!!!
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

thanks... my ticks have been booked to land in venice and depart from rome. I wish we got find more time to travel. But with my hubby's business, cant take off at a stretch lot of days. Last year we went ot switzerland for 5 days (7 days including travel). Prior to that, went to london-paris. Thats how we are making our trips. Your "must see" is very helpful. THANKS ... You too have a great trip !!!
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 06:54 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I suggest 2 days in Venice, 1 day take the train to Rome (5 hour trip), 2 days in Rome. That's about all you will reasonably have time for.