40 "Somthing" First Trip To Italy

Old Dec 10th, 2004, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
40 "Somthing" First Trip To Italy

Hi! We are a couple, early 40's celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary this year by taking a trip to Italy.
Just wanted to run our itenerary by someone experienced and see if it sounded ok. Also advise on which rail to use.
The trip is the latter part of April for 8 nights. We will arrive in Naples for 2 nights, Rome 3 nights, Florence 2 nights and Venice 1 night before flying out. I have room reservations everywhere but Naples. I know we don't want to stay in Naples, but where?? We are looking for something fairly modest. (150EUR) The big question is should we stay in Sorento or Capri? And I don't have a clear understanding of transportation in that area. We would like to see Pompeii, and I love the idea of seeing Capri.
The other question regarding rail. We are planning to travel by train between cities. Thought that would be the least complicated way to get around. Any advice??
Thanks!
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 05:05 AM
ira

Hi teeda,

Happy anniversary.

You are shorting the most romanitc part of your trip - Venice.

I suggest saving Naples and the area for another visit and adding the time to Venice.

This also shortens your travel time as you can fly into Rome.

It also saves you from having to wonder about transportation, as you can take the train from Rome to Florence to Venice.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 05:08 AM

My wife and I have been to Italy several times. We travel using the trains most of the time. I have found taking Eurostar and travelling 2nd class is more than acceptable. The ES trains are fast and arrive\depart on time. 2nd class has assigned seats and the prices are reasonable. The distances between cities you are visiting are such that your travel times will be 1 1/2 hours to 3 hours. You can visit WWW.TRENITALIA.COM to see times and fares.

We have always just shown up at the "stazione" plenty of time in advance to get tickets. It is also possible to purchase all your tickets ahead of time if you feel more comfortable doing so.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 05:18 AM

Do you have a particular reason for 2 nights in Naples and only 1 in Venice? If not, I suggest, as ira did, that you reverse that.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 05:52 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I would stay in either Sorrento or Naples because both have easy train/ferry connections to Capri and Pompeii. If you haven't booked flights yet I would suggest you drop a city from your trip or you will be seeing the inside of trains and train stations instead of Italy.

Your trip looks something like this:
Day 1 depart US

Day 2 arrive Naples (you did allow for overnight flight?)
Visit Pompeii - overnight Sorrento?Naples?

Day 3 Ferry To Capri and back to Naples/Sorrento.

Day 4 Train to Rome (travel time 4-6 hours including getting to and from stations- checking in/out hotels.

Day 5 Rome

Day 6 Rome

Day 7 travel to Florence (4hours travel/hotel etc)

Day 8 Florence

Day 9 train to Venice (4-5 hours travel/hotel etc.)

Day 10 fly home

Try www.venere.com or www.sorrentoinfo.com for hotels in Sorrento.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 06:01 AM

Do you have air reservations at this point? If so, I assume you are flying into Naples and out of Venice. I think you may need to make some choices. As it is you are spending so little time in each area. This is just a suggestion but, if your plane is already locked in, you may want to do one of two things:

1. Leave Naples immediately for Rome and spend 3 nights, Florence 2 nights and Venice 3 nights. This will mean changing your hotel reservations but that shouldn't present a problem.

2. Stay in the Naples region for 2 nights, Rome 3 nights and Venice 3 nights.

Eight days is too little to cover three great but spread-out locations.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 06:38 AM

Here's another vote for Ira's suggestion that you skip Naples this trip and extend Venice. If you're only in your 40s, you'll have plenty of time for future trips to Italy -- which I guarantee you'll want to do after your first taste!

Rome, Florence, and Venice will give you the high points, and then you can have lots of fun planning your return to other wonderful places, which Italy has in abundance. For example, think ahead for a 25th anniversary trip to the Amalfi Coast, a very romantic spot, and have time there to savor Capri, Pompeii, and the other beautiful places south of Rome.

You really want to have time to relax and enjoy the Italian "dolce vita" -- not be so constantly on the go that you are exhausted just getting from one place to another.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 08:31 AM

Agree that, if you haven't already locked in flights, you should consider dropping Naples till another time. Your time frame seems to me far better suited to the "big 3." Also, the Amalfi Coast would show to better advantage, in my opinion, when the weather will be better and more things open than you would find in early April.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 08:38 AM

I will concur with the rest that Naples would be best put off til a later trip.

IMHO 8 nights is a pretty short trip and I would personally limit my cities to two ideally, 3 at the very most. Travel takes up more time than just the train trip.

I would split up my time between Rome and Florence as these are two cities I really enjoy. I know that most folks really want to visit Venice but I am not a fan and did not find it to be romantic, just overcrowded and expensive. Just my personal opinion. I have a brother that loves it there. To each his own.

It sounds like you may already have air confirmed but if you do not and you really want to see Venice I would suggest an open jaw ticket Venice to Rome or vice versa. It will maximize your time in Italy.

Enjoy!
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 11:49 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Personally I would only choose 2 cities for an 8 day trip. Your 1st and last day are basically eaten up with airport arrival/departure. And then each time you change cities you lose a ~1/2 day (check out of hotel, get to station, take train ride, get to new hotel). I think you are underestimating distances and the logistics of the intinerary you propose.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 12:11 PM

IMO, you would enjoy your anniversary trip more if you would limit it to two cities/areas: Rome-Venice, Rome-Florence, Rome-Sorrento/Naples, whatever. Decide where you want to go most of all. and then take the time to really see your chosen cities,saving other places for another trip. Bella Italia is about immersing yourself, which you cannot do if you try to do too much. (Happy Anniversary!)
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 12:11 AM

I agree that Rome, Florence, and Venice would be best for a first trip, especially when you only have 8 days. Also consider narrowing it down to only 2 cities: for a wedding anniversary, I'd suggest Rome and Venice, 4 nights each.

The location of your hotels is very important...make sure they are centrally located near interesting sites, good restaurants, walkable neighborhoods.

Have a wonderful and romantic trip!