Italy trip from Feb. 18 through Mar. 01

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My partner and I are travelling to Italy (flying to Rome and returning from Milan) on February 18th.
Any idea about what the weather is like? Any recommended itineraries?

I'm going to Italy for the first time but my wife has been there once before.
Recommendations about hotels, restaurants, sites etc are all welcome.

Thanks,
d
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 03:29 PM

Hi
without knowing what your interests are, what drew you to Italy in the first place, it is very difficult to know what to suggest to you.

Okay, here are 2 suggestions.

first, click at the top of this screen on Destinations and go to the fodors info on the cities you want to visit, or think you want to visit. That will give you basic sightseeing info, even suggestions for short visits.

Second, here is a very long
Helpful Information on Italy thread, which, if you plow through it, is a very thorough resource.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34443340

then perhaps come back with some more specific questions
good luck
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 04:39 PM

Would it be too rude to ask why you are travelling to Italy with your partner when you appear to have a wife already?
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 06:14 PM

Wives can be partners
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Which is the case here - wife & partner are the same person.

Guess I wasn't clear in my initial post. We are thinking about seeing Rome, Florence, Venice & then a day or two in Milan but the trip is rather short as we get to Rome on Feb. 18th morning and fly out of Milan on Mar. 1st. Is this too many cities to get a feel for the country in such a short amount of time?
In that case, we can always go back again, especially since I'm sure we'll really like the art, culture, food etc.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 06:00 AM
pg

We are doing a fast-paced first trip between Feb24-Mar9, getting into Milan and flying out of Rome. Not sure what your interests are, or if you like relaxed travel or like to be on-the-go to see the most of the best that you can in your trip.
We are using both train and rental car for our trip - train for inter-city travel , and car for driving in Tuscany/ Umbria. Here are some highlights:
- Milan (1 day), Venice (1.5d), Florence (1.5d), Florence/ Tuscany car trip (overnights in Lucca, Sienna, Pienza, Assisi, Orvieto - although covering some other small villages enroute), Pompei (1d), Naples or Capri (1d), Rome (3d)

This could be a start towards your itinerary, and depending upon your pace/ interests, you can add/ remove/ replace some from the above. It has taken me scores of hours of reasearch to prepare an itinerary for a country has so many fascinating sites.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 06:10 AM
ira

Hi znd,

For 10 days, I would do Venice and Florence (daytrip to Siena and daytrip to Lucca).

Can you fly into Venice and out of FLR or PSA (Pisa)?

Other folks will recommend Rome; Rome and Venice; Rome, Florence and Venice.

Old Jan 6th, 2005, 11:12 AM

I'm one that "pushes" Rome and Tuscany.While I love being "on the go" and diversity, I would not stay in more than 3 locations in that few days. What I like about Rome-Florence ,with a possible stay between them, is you can rent a car between the two larger cities and comfortably travel from one to the other. You can maximize your stay.