Advice for 1st Time Italy Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning my first trip to Italy in September. My husband and I have never traveled before so this is all very new to us. I'd appreciate any input. So far, the only part of our trip that is set in stone is our flights.

We're flying into Milan and out of Rome - our total time in Italy will be 13 days/nights. We decided to fly into Milan and work our way to Rome in hopes of eliminating some travel time. We will leave Milan the same day we get there and head to Venice for 2-3 days. From Venice to Florence for 3 days. From Florence to Rome for 4 days.

I would like input on side trips from the major cities we'll be visiting. I've heard that CT is a "must-see" but not sure where it'd be best to fit that in?
Is a day trip or overnight trip to Capri possible from Rome?
From Florence I've heard Siena is great and Pisa is so-so.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 12:38 PM

I did these 3 cities last fall on a first trip to Italy. You have a bit more time than we did, so you may be able to squeeze in some time in Cinque Terre, but we decided that was best left to another trip.
I personally would spend a day or 2 in the Tuscan countryside to see all the quant towns and sample some wine (if you like wine). We liked seeing Seina & San Gimignano, and yes, Pisa was "so so" in my opinion.
It depends on what you are in to - Florence was raved about by everybody we talked to, but the main offering there was the art museums, so if you're not in to art, that can be a short trip there. I also thought the greatest part of ROme was the Colesseum, but I am not Catholic, so didn't care to spend a whole day at Vatican City....I would say to start, decide what sort of things are most important to you to see & do while there.
I just noticed that all your nights don't add up to 13 yet, so you probably could get in some CT time or Capri (we did not go there).
We loved Venice, so don't cut that one out .
We can try to help more, if you have some more specific questions....
Wat ever you plan, you will have a great trip!
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 01:01 PM

Itinerary really depends on your style of travelling and the preparation time you can devote to your trip. Often on a first trip to a new country some time might be loss in getting oriented and learning the locals ways. I am a believer of slow travel.That is why my first trip to Italy was limited to the big cities and I saved the others for the next ones. My personal suggestion for a 13 days would be:
Milano 1 day
Venizia 3 days
Firenze 3 days
Roma 6 days
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info so far - very helpful!

If we did decide to do a side trip to CT where would it be best fit in based on travel time/distance? After Florence and before Rome? Or would it make sense to travel from Milan to CT and then to Venice?
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 04:13 PM

Hello kyboo, you say this is your first trip to Italy and your husband and you have never travalled before?

Well no one would know it reading your post. I have known people that have travelled a lot of times and they could take some lessons from you!

A few questions. Where are you flying from i.e. the US? And what part of the US. How do you wish to travel while in Italy, by train, or will you be renting a car.

What, at this point, are the things that interest you most about Italy? The culture, sightseeing, churches, art, food and wine, spending some time just absorbing Italy and the Italians?

As far as I am concerned everything in Italy is a "must see", LOL, but what is wonderful about beautiful Italy is no matter how many times we are there we never are able to see everything. That is the bad news. The good news is; the reason everyone returns to Italy time and time again is to see more and more. And I am sure you and your husband will feel the same way. Italy is addictive for most people.

So if you could give us an idea per my questions listed above I know you will have a flood of helpful posts.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 04:48 PM

I second LuckyLuc's itinerary of 1 day in Milan, 3 in Venice, 3 in Florence, and 6 in Rome, although I'd probably add a day in Florence and subtract one from Rome. The big thing is the first day/night in Milan, rather than schlepping from Milan Malpensa to Milano Centrale train station [I'm assuming you'd be taking a train to Venice] to Venice, which will add an additional 4-5 hours to your traveling if you try to get to Venice the first day. You'll be fighting jet lag, trying to learn the Italian transportation system [which is not always an oxymoron 8-) ], and just trying to adapt to Italy in general. To add an additional 4-5 hours of schlepping can be overwhelming.

If you haven't yet made plane reservations, you could try flying into Venice directly and avoiding the schlep from MXP to Venice entirely. Assuming you can't do that, though, use the one day in Milan as a chance to overcome the jet lag, orient yourself to Italy, and take your trip in small bites.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 05:58 PM

I agree that if it fits your budget, just flying directly to Venice from Milan is efficient. However, I have done the fly into Milan, take train to Venice option, and it was painless.
You arrive at Milan's Malpensa airport, and after Customs, you follow the signs for the bus to the Centrale Station.
It will take anywhere from 40-90 minutes, depending on traffic. The bus lets you off right outside the train station. You go in, buy tickets with reserved seats. (Yes, tickets and reservations can be arranged on line before you even leave from home--you will pay a premium, but you will have your ticket and seat reserved.) A ticket without a reserved seat could mean that you might have to stand if there aren't enough seats. Make sure your ticket to Venice is for SL station (in Venice) and not for Mestre, which is the last town on the mainland before you cross the lagoon to get to Venice.

If you need one, the Centrale station has a tourist information office with English-speaking agents.

You look up at the overhead board to determine which track (binario) your train will be leaving from. Before you go to the track, be sure to stamp your ticket in the little orange stamping machines--everyone will be doing this.

Your seat reservation will be for a particular seat # in a particular car.
It is helpful to follow the diagram and board the correct car in the first place so you're not dragging your luggage the length of the train in order to find your correct seat. By the way, having manageable luggage is very important or you'll start to hate it very fast.

There is a large luggage rack at the end of each car, as well as smaller overhead racks. You might want to invest in a lightweight travel cable with a combination lock, so you can secure your bags to the rack should you not be seated near the rack.

The ride from Milan to Venice is pleasant and under 3 hours. There is something especially wonderful, even if you are tired, about arriving in Venice at the train station, you will step out of the station into a new world.

I have files on the cities you've mentioned (not CT)--if you'd like to see them, email me at
[email protected]
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Oma

Oh oh, I am envious!

My favourite destinations in Italy were Rome and Sicily. Siena is a must-see and Cinque Terre is beautiful (we stayed in Monterosso and hiked for 4 days between towns and up the hills) but yes, you might save it for its own trip. I'd give Rome at least 4 days personally, although I know others who did not like it there (the joy is that you can day-trip out if you hate it). We went to Easter mass at the Vatican and it was an incredible experience. The coliseum was also so powerful.

Don't miss Pompei if you can help it!

One other thing I would suggest: stop in Modena for an afternoon (we stopped on our way from Bologna to Parma) and visit a balsamic vinegar farm! We met an amazing lady named Carla there who took us on a tour of her farm and let us taste the most amazing balsamico I'll ever have.

Seeing the leaning tower of Pisa was interesting but I found nothing else there worth stopping for. I'd give it a half-day at most.

Sorry to go on and on, I just get so excited thinking about it.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 09:28 PM

What are your interests?
History? - spend more time in Rome and take side trips to Ostia Antica /Pompeii / Ercolano
Scenery by the coast? - Venice / CT
Scenery in the hills? - Tuscany/Umbria
Rennaisance art? Firenze and Roma.

Have fun deciding. Are you the kind of couple who likes quick glimpses of a lot of places (and have the energy to do so) or the kind of travellers who like to savour where they are and love to linger and absorb the atmosphere?

If you must do the cinque terre then:
milan - 1 day
venezia - 2 days
firenze - 2 days + 1 day trip to Siena
CT - 2 days
Rome - 5 days

Remember though that travel from one place to another will take atleast 1/2 a day (actual travel + getting to the hotel and checking in)

A daytrip to Capri seems to rushed and am not sure is feasible, however, an overnight is certainly possible. I however, would <b> not </b> recommend it.

If you decide to use this itinerary and travel by:
a. train then, the route from Firenze to La Spezia (the CT stop) will require a change at Pisa anyway and you can spend a couple of hours there.
b. car/bus then, stop in Lucca for a few hours (of course this will mean cutting down your time in Firenze, CT or Roma)

Now, if you decide to save CT for another trip then:
milan - 1 day
venezia - 3 days
firenze - 2 days
tuscan hill town(s) - 2 days
roma - 5 days

I would not recommend going to CT first because your train connections to Venice will be far more complicated and time consuming.

Old Mar 29th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Original Poster

This is so great - thank you all for the helpful posts! To answer some questions :

In Italy, we plan on traveling by train the entire time. Unless a car comes strongly recommended (like in Tuscany).

We are interested in seeing the arts and history of Italy (but don't want to do too many museums and churches), the coast, the hills/Tuscany, and it'd be great to do some wine tasting.

We are active and able to keep busy but also don't want to feel rushed the entire trip.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 04:55 AM

We did a daytrip to Capri and found it to be very enjoyable. No, you don't see the entire island, but the boat ride to Capri is pleasant, the port has interest, and you can easily fit in a Blue Grotto excursion into one day. But I just like being on a boat anytime.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 05:32 AM
ira

Hi kyboo,

Very good itinerary, but I don't think that it adds up to 13 days.

Here's my suggestion
Day 1 arr Milan train to Venice
Day 2 Venice
Day 3 Venice
Day 4 Venice
(Your 1st day will be travel)
Day 5 Train to Florence
Day 6 Florence
Day 7 Bus to Siena
Day 8 Florence
Day 9 Train to Rome
Day 10 Rome
Day 11 Visit Orvieto or Ostia Antica
Day 12 Rome
Day 13 Fly home

Have a great trip.

Old Mar 30th, 2005, 05:32 AM
ira

Hi kyboo,

Very good itinerary, but I don't think that it adds up to 13 days.

Here's my suggestion
Day 1 arr Milan train to Venice
Day 2 Venice
Day 3 Venice
Day 4 Venice
(Your 1st day will be travel)
Day 5 Train to Florence
Day 6 Florence
Day 7 Bus to Siena
Day 8 Florence
Day 9 Train to Rome
Day 10 Rome
Day 11 Visit Orvieto or Ostia Antica
Day 12 Rome
Day 13 Fly home

Have a great trip.

I recommend against the CT for this visit, unless you are committed hikers.

I suggest heading South for Capri and the Amlfi Coast on your next visit.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 07:38 AM

not to add confusion but I have to put in my two cents!
We spent our honeymoon in Italy, first time there. 2 wks. And we didn't even go near Rome! But with your flights and time frame my rec would be:
Into Milan, 1 night.
Train to Venice, 2-3 nights
Train to Florence, 1 night
Rent car and explore Tuscany, this was our favorite part. Wine tastings, small towns and wonderful food &amp; people. 3-4 nights.
If you hike and really want CTerre then
turn in your car in Pisa and train into the CT for a 2 nights.
Then train down to Rome for the remaining 3-4 nights.
Otherwise skip CT and drive all around Tuscany heading South for 5-6 days and turn in the car when you get to Rome!