Search

3 days in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 days in Italy

Help!!! We are planning a trip through Europe and have about 3 days budgeted for Italy. I know, broad question, but--seasoned experts, what would YOU do if you only had 3 days in Italy? BW, we are more in to soaking up the vibe than touring the sites and all. I'm just very confused because everything sounds so wonderful. Ahhh!
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 10:10 PM

How are you planning to travel to and from Italy? Where else are you going and what else are you planning on doing? Have you been to Italy before?

With only three days, I woulnd't want to suggest much traveling once you actually arrive. Probably one location to savor and enjoy would be best. Perhaps Venice?
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 10:24 PM

Hi gadge, what vibes do you hope to soak up?

When are you traveling?

Yes, it is a very broad question.

Do you want 3 days on beautiful Capri, Rome with her culture and history and vibrant life style, Venice with her canals and mysterious beauty, Florence with its art and ease of walking everwhere, the Lake Area with the beauty of northern Italy, Sicily with its historical background of so many cultures, Cinque Terra or the Amalfi Coast with the beauty of being on the western coastline with buildings climbing up the hills while you sit and enjoy a seafood meal and beautiful wine, Tuscany or Umbria with their small towns and villages, olive trees, winding roads and a most wonderful feeling of being in another era.

I gently suggest that you perhaps go to your local library and check out a couple of travel books on Italy. After you decide what pulls at your heartstrings then I would anticipate that you will then know at least what area of beautiful Italy you want to spend three days in.

Three days is not a lot of time to get any feeling of Italy but when you decide which region appeals the most to you I would also suggest that you plan on just staying in that spot. Three days if you mean arriving, getting settled in and leaving the third day means that the third day will have hours lost leaving.

Of course we do not know if you talking about driving in by car, taking the train, flying in etc.

After you decide where in Italy you want to stay, advise your mode of travel, when you will be in Italy, perhaps your budget amount for hotels, how many NIGHTS you plan on spending in Italy I am sure you will receive lots of wonderful suggestions from Fodorites.

Now, if I had 3 days for Italy, right at this moment I would spend it in Rome. But next month I might think that I would spend it in Venice. In July I would probably say Capri. In September I would no doubt say Veneto.

Don't feel confused. All of Italy is wonderful. If you had a year you would not see every beautiful spot.

Post back when you decide where you actually want to go. And have fun with the dreaming and planning.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 01:48 AM

Beautifully put, Love Italy, I couldn't have said it better!
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Loveitaly, and all of you for your kind answers. The reason I ask this question is just BECAUSE I have been doing some initial research and all of these regions and places sound so lovely, and our time there is so short. I'm really trying to get some ideas on where to begin. To answer some of your thoughtful questions, we are traveling to Italy for the first time in late June, hopefully by train, and coming in from France, probably Nice. We will most likely be returning to L.A. from Italy, since those are in fact our last 3 days of the trip (the rest of it spent in France).
Oh, and by soaking up the vibe, I mean getting a feel for a place as opposed to chasing monuments and riding around on a bus.

I will indeed continue my research of italy (and France).

I appreciate your input, kind Fodorites. Thank you!
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 12:58 PM
rex

Coming into Italy from France, I'd see no reason to venture further than Lake Como. And fly home from Milan.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 01:13 PM

Hello gadge, I sure understand your confusion and wanting to get the experience of Italy!

I can guarantee you one thing. Once you are in Italy you will make sure you return! Italy becomes addictive!

I agree with Rex, now that we know more about your plans.

I think exploring Lake Como and flying home from Milan (Milpensa airport) is a wonderful suggestion for "dipping your toe" into Italy. I think this will offer you what you are seeking. And I would imagine after your time at Lake Como you will arrive home more rested and relaxed then a lot of travellers.

Enjoy every moment of your trip!

And give us a report of your experiences, that will be fun to read.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 05:13 AM
ira

topping