Search

trip to italy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trip to italy

we r planning a trip to italy in the first week of june for 10days....need help in places to see...hotels....!
thanks...!
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 07:13 PM

I don't know if this is yor first trip to Italy or what you interests are. For most people on their first trip and with 10 days I suggest Rome, Florence, and Venice; the "big 3". It whets your appetite for Italy, is easy to do, and contains many of the major sites you've seen or heard about. All three contain MANY wonderful historic sites, churches, wonderful art, etc.
[email protected]
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

thanks for replying..yes this our first trip to italy and there r so mnay places to see...am a little confused..i just want to see the best.and not miss out on nething..will check out the places that u suggested.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 03:07 AM

What are options to travel by train between these cities? Is it a beautiful ride or it is better flying?
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 03:18 AM

Remember that June 2 is a public holiday in Italy - like a Sunday with shops and banks closed and public transport running less frequently.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Doble_Vergasser

It is hard for us to help you with such a vaguely worded inquiry.

You will probably arive by air at a major Italian city. That city might be worth a few days (or it might not).

Flying into one city and out of another saves both time and money (called 'open jaw').

With only ten days, two cities with some daytrips is probably a not isane/ not too hectic trip.

What do you want to see in Italy? Do in Italy?

Old Mar 12th, 2006, 08:16 AM
MaureenB

If you want to see the 'big three' cities, with sidetrips, you can easily get around on the Eurostar (train). Maybe fly into Rome and out of Venice, or vice versa. See Florence in between. Do a side trip to Cinque Terre on your way to Florence.

Old Mar 12th, 2006, 02:30 PM

I am not into "planning" my trip to Italy as of yet, but wonder if it is better to go through a travel agent if you do not want a round trip via air. Thanks much.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 02:47 PM
ira

Hi P,

>...i just want to see the best.and not miss out on nething.....

That will take about 4 months.

Most first-time visitors divide there time among Rome, Florence and Venice.

Old Mar 12th, 2006, 03:59 PM

We too have only 10 days; after looking at the guidebooks a bit, we decided to split between Venice (3 nights) and Rome (7 nights) because there is so much to see in Rome and we wanted to get out of the city on a couple of days to see something less urban (Orvieto, Ostia Antica, in our case). Florence would be closer (even a possible day trip), but we don't want to be overwhelmed, so we'll see Florence when we do Tuscany on a later trip. If all you want is a "survey," obviously you can do all three, but you'll lose more sightseeing time with the extra train ride and the checking in and out of hotels. We're also in our late 40's travelling with 2 teens, so maybe we're not as portable as we used to be!
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 06:52 AM

My wife started this thread. She has picked the destination and let me do all the planning. The original plan was to cover Venice, Florence, day trip to tuscany, and Rome. But reading the posts it looks like Florence and specially tuscany are huge to be covered in an overnight stay.
So we have decided to cover only Venice and Rome and give them 5 days each so that we are not in "survey mode" as one traveler aptly put it. Does it make sense to give the 2 cities 5 days each?
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 06:54 AM

Yes, 5 days each is a good idea, or go with 6 Rome/4 Venice.

Old Mar 16th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Neopolitan

OK, I'll be the dissenter. I think it makes the most sense to go between Rome and Venice by train (but hopefully you will fly into one and home from the other of those two). Since the trains go through Florence, I'd get off for a night or possibly two. While you can't fully see Florence in that time, it will make a nice little break and allow you to see enough to make you want to come back. We did this with friends who had never been to Italy. We arrived in Florence by train from Rome at about 10 in the morning. We had a nice hotel just over a block from the train station and everything else was in walking distance. We did a walk in the rest of the morning, had a great lunch on Piazza Signori, visited the Duomo, the Baptistry, St. Croce, and the Accademia to see The David in the afternoon. We had a lovely evening stroll across the Ponte Vecchio and a nice dinner. In the morning we thought we'd do the Uffizi, but the girls actually chose to move on to Venice. You could easily spend all the next morning here before going on to Venice.
This is nicer than a day trip some where and in my opinion worth the stop. It could still leave you with 5 nights in Rome and 4 in Venice.

Old Mar 16th, 2006, 08:26 AM

I also agree to spend a bit more time in ROme. Venice is lovely, but Rome is overflowing with things to see and do. I think 3 full days in Venice is enough time to cover a lot of Venice and the rest should be spent in Rome.

You might also consider spending an overnight on the road between the 2 cities. One of the smaller hill towns is a nice change of pace from the larger cities.

Also, does the 10 days include travel time? Also what is your hotel budget? As far as palces to see, you should check the fodors destination info and maybe a guide book. From there you can ask questions about specific places, tours or other ideas.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 12:11 PM

Ok. Our itninerary starts from Jun2 till 11. So its actually 9 days. While we do like to see museums, we dont spend a lot of time in them.So keeping that in mind what is the recommendation?
3,4,5 in venice
6,7 Florence
8,9,10,11 in Rome
fly back on 11th
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 12:25 PM

Looks like a terrific plan. Variations would depend upon your own special interests. Assuming jet lag for your first day in Venice, you might want to add a day there & give Florence only an overnight this trip. But, it really depends on how much appeal, in relative terms, Venice and Florence have for you all. Really, your plan looks good.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 04:43 PM

Neopolitan, Can you tell me what was that hotel you stayed in Florence? Close to the train station sounds nice.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Neopolitan

It was called the Hotel Albani. We had two spectacular rooms that had JUST been refurbished exquisitely and were huge and elegantly furnished. WE couldn't have been happier. To be honest, though we got a great deal booking months ahead and I understand that the prices nearly doubled since then. We booked it through a Summit Hotels site. We paid something like $150 per room per night in 2000. I'd be amazed if it isn't easily double that now.

Old Mar 16th, 2006, 08:09 PM

For my money, I'd pick Florence and Venice rather than Rome. Every time I've been to Rome I can't wait to get out of there. Florence is MUCH more pedestrian-friendly, so full of culture, and from there you can easily book a day trip or two out to the Tuscan hills. Florence is beautiful and pleasant to the senses. Rome is crowded, dirty, too cosmopolitan.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 04:11 AM
ira

Hi cc,

Your plan is fine.

I would prefer to split the time between Venice and Florence.

From Venice you can visit Padua or Verona, if you get bored.

From Florence you can visit Bologna, Siena, Lucca and Orvieto as daytrips, if you wish.

Have a nice visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -