Search

visiting son

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
visiting son

I will be meeting my son in florance in late november and staying through mid december. We would like to travel and see the surrounding areas, but my son has been there for several months studying abroad and has taken many trips on his 3 day weekends---->
He wrote--->I am going to be visiting Ireland on my own already with some friends. I basically have all of my weekends palnned out for the rest of my trip. Besides Ireland, I will also be going to places such as Barcelona, Spain and London, England. Here in Italy I will also be going to Rome and Venice. I hear there isnt much in Venice and that you can see everything in one day.
---->Since his itinerary includes the above, which things should we plan to see again together and can you suggest new places we shouldn't miss? Also looking for hotel accomodations that are comfortable but not extremely pricy.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 12:45 PM

some suggestions:
What your son has heard about Venice is not shared by many travelers on this forum.

Sme weekends in London and Rome will definitely not come close to covering those cities, and perhaps your son will consider going to those places again.

Please define what you mean by hotels not being extremely pricey. What price per night per room did you hav ein mind.

Perhaps you could consider some day trips or short stay trips without your son, as the way you report it, he's not too encouraging about making repeat visits with you.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 01:02 PM

christieelee,

If you have never been to Italy before and your son is unwilling to revisit Rome and Venice with you, I strongly suggest you plan a little time for forays on your own to these two magnificent, beautiful cities! Please don't miss them.

For together time, would he be bored with Assisi and/or other Umbrian--or Tuscan--hill towns?
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 01:16 PM

To me, Venice deserves much more than a day, and I'd suggest going to Siena--an easy daytrip from Florence.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 01:38 PM

Oh my christieelee, excuse me for saying this, but it doesn't sound like your son wants to spend time traveling with you once you arrive in Italy. Have you and he discussed your coming to Italy to spend time with him before making your plans? It sounds as though he wants his independence and space, typical of some university students.

You say "I will be meeting my son in Florence" and then you say "we would like to travel and see the surrounding areas" etc. Are you going to Italy by yourself or are you and your husband going to Italy together?

Personally I would plan this trip to Italy with the thought of visiting the areas in Italy that you (or you and your husband) want to see and let your son know which night you will be staying in Florence and can see him.

You ask "which things should we plan to see again together and can you suggest new places we shouldn't miss".

From what I have read, and I do hope I am wrong, it does not sound like your son is interested in visiting other places in Italy with you.

I would plan a wonderful trip to Italy and if your son can join you in any of those places that will be beautiful and if he can't I would enjoy them without him. Young people do not always live up to our expectations unfortunatly. Best wishes to you!!
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 01:58 PM
ira

Hi Christie,

Good advice from loveitaly.

Your son, dutiful as he might be, isn't going to be spending a lot of time with you.

He will have his classes, his friends and his own itnerary.

He is completely wrong about Venice.

You might want to consider the B&B Peterson www.bedinflorence.it

My wife and I spent 11 nights there and highly recommend it.

Old Oct 9th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much for all of the information. My son has been my only travel partner for years since I divorced and we always have a great time together-he really is a wonderful kid...he just doesn't plan very well and trying to plan from his brief remarks is quite impossible...so i decided to ask here and am so glad I did...I will definitly plan time in Florance, Venice and Rome-as far as hotels, I have looked at a few that were recommended and the price has been about 300-400 a night...a little high for a place to sleep knowing i will be out seeing the sights most of the time...My goal is to spend a little time in many places knowing i can always return but not so long that my teenage son gets weary.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 09:52 PM

Hotel prices......300-400/night? Are you speaking of dollars? That is outrageous.

Venice is very expensive, but we were able to find a hotel near St. Marks for around $200...which, at the time, I thought was too steep.

Do some googling....like.."hotels..(wherever)..

He is wrong about Venice, but what do kids know?

As to the rest of it...LovesItaly has some good advice. This may be presumptive of me, but maybe you should plan some time in Italy for YOURSELF.

He, obviously, has his itinerary. You could do your thing and meet up whenever he is free, or interested in your itinerary.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 01:47 AM

I've just been checking hotels in Florence for a Feb or March trip and have found many, many far below the prices yu give.

Try this site

http://www.florenceby.com/
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 02:58 AM
ira

Hi Christie,

For hotel searches in Italy, look at www.venere.com.

What's your hotel budget?

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 03:26 AM

I like EuroCheapo.com for inexpensive hotels. Pay less, stay longer and go more often is my motto.

Old Oct 12th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all..I have found several lovely hotels thanks to your web sites suggested here...I have planned to be in Florance for a week before my son is done with the semester so i can see it all on my own...After that we are heading to Rome and Pompei and...??? I have a total of 18 days scheduled and I am still working on the rest...Thanks to all who gave me guidance!
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 10:38 PM

Best wishes to you christieelee. I truly hope that you enjoy your time in beautiful Italy and I certainly hope that you and your son have some fun times together. Take good care.