Help with planning a trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2004, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are planning our first trip to Italy in the spring of 2005. We would rather not go on a tour. Can anyone recommend websites, books, etc. that I could use to plan the trip? We would like to visit Rome north to Milan.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 04:10 AM

For a start, you can look at the Destination Guides for the cities and regions of Italy here on fodors.com, then zero in on the areas that interest you.

Every major (and many minor) cities in Italy have Web sites in English with lots of information.

For hotels and restaurants, you may want to buy one or more guidebooks; most bookstores will let you browse before you choose the one that appeals to you most.

And if you have specific questions, you can always come here and post them.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 05:14 AM

Hi
this thread
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34443340

has all kinds of accumulated information for travel in Italy.

I've got e-files on Rome, Florence and Venice--if you'd like to see one or more, email me at
[email protected]

As for guidebooks, you need to go to a bookstore and browse. Pick one topic that interests you, perhaps the Vatican Museums in Rome, or the Duomo in Milan, and look up that same topic in several guidebooks. You will likely find the kind of information, the approach, and the style of writing that strikes your fancy.

If you are watching your budget, Gustafson's books "Great Sleeps in Italy" and "Cheap Eats in Italy" (the latter might have been re-titled to Great Eats) are reliable resources.

The Streetwise series of maps are carried by Amazon and many chain bookstores. They are easy to use, they should cover 99% of what you want to see, they are easily foldable, and they are laminated for water resistance.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 05:15 AM

You may also want to visit frommers.com - saves you looking at or buying their italy book.

To get som ideas you may want to also look at the photos in some brochures from tours to italy - I find it sometimes helps me to look at the pictures - I then get into the "I have to see that" mode - which will make the skeleton of the trip - then you can fill in the blanks.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 06:22 AM

Go to slowtrav.com and click on Italy and then Planning and plan to spend at least 2 hours reading tons of good info.