Search

Italy trip advice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy trip advice

Hi,
My husband has a business trip to Naples this summer and we are planning to make a vacation out of the trip.
As this would be my first time in Italy, we were hoping for some suggestions for a 10 day trip (we don't have much time) of which 3 days will be spent in Naples.

1. Is it worth flying through Rome or Venice and spending a nite in one of those cities? if so, which one?
2. Is Capri worth visiting? If so, day trip or stay overnight? If overnight, where?
3. Is the Amalfi coast worth visiting? IF so, day trip or stay overnight? If overnight, where?
4. Is Pompeii worth visiting?
5. Any other suggestions?

With regards to budget, since my husband's flight is paid for and we have 2 nites in Naples covered, we do not mind splurging a bit.

Thanks again for your help!
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 03:19 PM

Rome and Venice are both worth visiting, but either deserves more than one night.

Capri, the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii are all worth visiting. Capri is best with an overnight, the Amalfi Coast practically requires it.

If the 10 days are 10 days on the ground, I suggest three in Rome, three in Naples (for business) and four on the Amalfi Coast, with day trips to Capri and Pompeii. Positano is particularly popular with those who like to splurge.
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 03:24 PM

I agree---good plan with a max of 3 destinations.
Here are some shots to get you excited.
http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=4481
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 03:43 PM

Certainly all of these places are "worth visiting," but we have no idea if they will be worth visiting to you. What do you like to do on vacation? What are your interests? Knowing a little about you will help us make better suggestions.
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 04:28 PM

Also it would help to know what amount you consider a "splurge" - and what you expect to get for it, considering it will be high season.
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 04:40 PM

It really depends on your interests. I've yet to feel Capri is worth visiting, and others think it is a "must see." I spent a week in Naples and Pompeii a few months -- and I'd been to both before, and I would go back again -- and other people avoid it like the plague.

Some people insist it is a "big mistake" to not go to Rome for your first trip to italy -- but I skipped Rome for my first trip , and so did bobthenavigator, (in fact, he went to Italy 8 times without thinking it was worth his time to go to Rome). Today? I live in italy and bobthenavigator is full of dogmas for other people about the "max" and "must" of their trips to Italy.

In the summer, Napoli and Pompeii will be broiling hot, and the coastal areas will be jammed with tourists, especially day tripping tourists. Traffic along the Amalfi drive will at times be at a standstill. If you are interested in italian art, history and food, Napoli is simply a fantastic destination, with many unique, incomprable sights, large (the Capodimonte museum) and small (the capella SanSevero and the Cloisters of Santa Chiara).

If you are more interested in shopping than cultural excursions, Rome is a fun day trip or overnight. If you are interested in pampering, you might prefer Ischia to Capri. Many people go to Venice for a day and find it romantic, others hate it but think they might have liked it had they spent more time there, getting away from the tourist crowds.
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

thank you so much for your suggestions everyone! i think we are going to fly into naples and spend 3 days there with a day trip to pompeii, head to the amalfi coast for 1 night, and then spend the rest of the time in rome.

with regards to splurging, we are willing to spend up to $800/nite if worth it (but for the rest of the trip would like to budget between $275 and 400/nite)...any suggestions on hotels will be much appreciated.

with regards to our interests, we are big foodies and love art. neither of us care for much shopping.
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 04:17 PM

$800/ nite???? I think most of us call that not having a budget

I could say "enjoy your trip," but I don't think you will need the good wishes.
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 04:32 PM

For most of us, all of the places you mention are definitely worth visiting. We love Capri but it is better to go and stay a few days so you can stay away from the day-trippers. In fact, I prefer Capri to the Amalfi Coast. With only 6 or 7 days, I think your plan to spend most of your time in Rome is a good one.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Hi all,
what is the best way to travel from Naples to Amalfi? Would love to get there cheaply...private cars are costing us over $300 round trip. Is the ferry a practical way to travel? Is it safe to take the buses? We are leaving next week at the height of tourist season and only have 1 night in Amalfi so would like to capitalize our time...

thanks!
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 07:35 AM

Safe as in vehicle acccident or safe as in crime?
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

i was thinking vehicle accident but crime did not even cross my mind...so both, i guess.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

i was thinking vehicle accident but crime did not even cross my mind...so both, i guess.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 08:03 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Are you departing from Naples or Naples airport?
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Naples
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 07:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would train from Naples to Salerno (some trains only 35 minutes) and onward to Amalfi by ferry (another 35 minutes plus connecting time) or bus (1:15 hours plus connecting time).

IMO the buses along the coast are safe, but they are going to be extremely crowded (especially between Amalfi and Sorrento).