italy transportation and hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2003, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI. I was hoping someone could help me with a few questions before I finalize my honeymoon plans.
1. Any 4 star hotel recommnedations in Rome near the Spanish Steps
2. Should I prebuy my train tickets from Rome to Naples, I'm going in Sept. which I thought is a busy time
3. Private driver or ferry from Naples to Sorrento? Does anyone have names of drivers they recommend?
4. 4 star hotel recommnedations for sorrento?
5. Transportation recommendations for day trips from sorrento to pompeii, ischia, capri, positano?
Thanks everyone for your input!
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 07:28 AM

I only stay in cheap hotels so can't help there. For the train from Roma to Napoli, there are stopping trains every hour as well as Intercity and Eurostar trains. Trains will be busy around weekends (the month doesn't matter) but there will never be a need to book this journey in advance. From Napoli to Sorrento, just get on a train - they run every half hour or so. From Sorrento, get a train to Pompei, a boat to Ischia or Capri, and a bus to Positano.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 06:35 PM

Hi amyat,

We just returned from Sorrento. My first choice of a 4-star hotel there would be the Bellevue Syrene, which is about a 10-minute walk from Piazza Tasso, the main square. The hotel has wonderful service, and some beautiful rooms with terraces overlooking the Bay of Naples. The hotel elevator takes you down to the hotel's private beach, which is a strip of grainy stand with chairs, umbrellas available for an extra charge. My second 4-star choice would be the Hotel Tramontano, set in a beautiful garden with a nice pool, but I did not find the service there nearly as good as at Bellevue Syrene. The Tramontano is just down the block from Bellevue, and also has rooms with terraces and water views. Three restaurants to recommend: Taverna, Taverna Due, and Caruso, all within walking distance of the above-mentioned hotels.

This was our second trip to the coast, and we used the same driver as the first time, Giovanni Gargiulo, who can be reached on his cell at:3387306575. He is based in Sorrento, and available for pickup at Naples, and/or daytrips to Pompeii, Positano, etc. We can't recommend him enough, and were lucky to find his name on this very forum! He is a character-- Archie Bunker gone Italian.

We also spent a few days again in Rome,this time around the corner from the Pantheon at the Hotel Pantheon, a lovely 4-star that dates from the 7th century. Last time, we stayed at the Hotel Eden, which is close to the Spanish Steps, but we much preferred the location of this hotel since it was within walking distance of many of Rome's major sights. Another hotel which is often recommended on this forum is the 3-star Albergo Del Senato, which is just around the corner from the Hotel Pantheon. It looked very nice, and has terraces overlooking the Pantheon rotunda.

Have a great time!
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 07:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Another vote for the Bellevue Syrene in Sorrento. Say hello from me to the hotel's resident cat/mascot Poppea.
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 01:55 PM

At the top of Via Veneto, about 4 or 5 blocks from the top of the Spanish Steps, is the Rome Marriott. A quick check on marriott.com lists rates as E350 per night and up (E350 = about $400). As a 4-star hotel, it is what you expect a 4-star European hotel to be, only with some of the creature comforts expected in an American chain.

The Via Veneto has a lot of 4- and 5-star hotels on it, all of which are about 10-15 minutes to the top of the Spanish Steps by foot. Be prepared to pay through the nose no matter where you stay on Via Veneto.
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 03:02 PM

Take a look at the Hotel dei Borgognoni. It is on Via Bufalo and is just about a 5 minute walk to the bottom of the Spanish Steps. It is in a good location and we walked everyplace. Rooms are smallish, but they are modern and well set up. Front desk staff is friendly and helpful. We stayed there the first few days of June.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 04:05 AM
ira

Hi amy

Unless you will be traveling on a weekend, you should be able to buy your train tickets in Rome with no trouble.

Go to http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34436921
for recommendations on drivers from Naples to Sorrento
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 04:21 PM

Hello,
I can't help you with the hotel in Rome, but that is the area I always choose to stay in and it is a great place.
Last November and December I took my eighth trip to Italy. I took the train from Rome to Naples, but I had made reservations so I could let the private driver I had booked know when to pick me up to take me to Sorrento. I booked with Sorrento Limo. The website is www.sorrentolimo.com. I had read excellent recommendations about this company on another Italy board and also on this one. It is an excellent company. I was met right at the end of the train. Gennaro Ruocco is the owner, and he is an excellent driver and a great person to know. I highly recommend this company. He will answer any questions you have if you email him from his website.
When you are in Sorrento you will find tours to many places around the town including boats to Capri and probably Ischia. I had Sorrento Limo take me to Pompeii with a stop at Mt. Vesuvius. Yes, I made it to the top, but not on my own or with Gennaro. He had to let me out at the hut where the walking path starts. An adventure I might relate later.
You mention Positano. I stopped and looked down on the town when Gennaro was taking me on the Amalfi Drive. I am sure if you wanted to walk down into the town, he would wait for you. The Amalfi Drive is one of the world's most beautiful drives. And Gennaro can tell you many things on the drive.
I hope this has given you some ideas to help answer your questions.
Sincerely,
Joan