Hotel in Sorrento

Search

Hotel in Sorrento

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2004, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel in Sorrento

I am looking to stay in Sorrento for 4 nights (right after Easter)with my wife and two children, ages 10 and 8. We are considering the Grand Hermitage and the Mediterraneo hotels. We are not planning to get a car. Can anyone share experiences with these hotel choices? Thanks very much!
Brad
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 04:31 AM

Since you won't have a car, one of your prime considerations must be the location.... just how central are the hotels to the area of Sorrento that most interestes you and to public transportation. Plug the hotel address into some on-line map sites.

Or perhaps you have already done that.

--Marv
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 10:06 AM

Good afternoon, lostpuget. Coinsidering that the Pza Tasso is the center part of Sorrento, here are the locations of the Hotels Grand Hermitage and Mediterraneo.
The MEDITERRANEO, via Crawford 85, Sant'Agnello, IT is located east of the Pza Tazzo off the Corso Italia about 1 mile. The GRAND HEERMITAGE
is located west of town up in the hills and approximately 1 mile from the
Pza Tasso.. Both can be located on Mapquest.com., and tripadvisor.com has reviews on both of these hotels. With
your children a hotel close to the Pza Tasso might be more practical...www.venere.it will have a complete list of hotels within Sorrento
surf thru these, then check the locations to see if any of them will fit your needs. We have used the BELLEVUE SYRENE, which is located about a block and a half from the Pza Tasso and on the bay with a most excellant view of Naples and Vesuvius
from the bay side rooms. Richard of LaGrange Park, Il.
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 10:38 AM

lostpuget,

We stayed at the Hotel Tramontano with our two kids ( ages 13 and 16) in the summer of 2003. The hotel is only a few blocks away from Piazza Tasso, less from the old part of Sorrento which is full of restaurants, pizzerias, gelaterias (!!) and shops.

The Tramontano has some very nice rooms with huge terraces overlooking the Bay of Naples. When we stayed there, a sea view room ran about $250/night. I'm sure it's gone up, but I have no idea how much.

There's a small pool which is great for broiling afternoons, as well as a strip of beach ( but pretty typical of beaches in the area it's crowded and not that nice) just below the garden.

I would highly recommend this hotel for a very pleasant stay in Sorrento.
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Melissajoy

lostpuget, we stayed in Sorrento in June. I wish we had stayed in either Positano or Praiano instead, which are nicer. Of all the towns we saw in Italy, I found Sorrento to be the tackiest. I was travelling with my husband and son, 22 years old; daughters, 18 and 17 years.

Praiano is tiny and laid-back with a terrific seafood restaurant on the tiny beach..."Bar Trattoria Armandino"...fresh seafood, good prices. My teens said they wished we could have spent a couple nights in Praiano.

Positano is much bigger than Praiano, more to do there, and Positano is way more beautiful than Sorrento.

Those were our impressions.

Old Nov 14th, 2004, 01:21 PM

There's no doubt that Positano is much more beautiful, and yes, less tacky than Sorrento, but I still think of it as mostly a honeymoon/couples destination. It's extremely romantic, but probably not that practical for families with young children. Unless you based at a hotel near the beach, you'd have a lot of up and downhill climbing to do back and forth to town.

Sorrento is certainly not as magical, but it does have better transportation options to much of the coast, Pompeii, and Capri. Also it offers a wider range of hotels and restaurants in every price category.

Good luck with your choice!
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

I love this forum! So much information and opinions. If I were traveling with my wife only, we would not stay in Sorrento. But, with the young children, we are looking for convenience. From what I've read, Sorrento will be great for transport to Pompei, Capri, and the amalfi coast during our short visit. Also, these two hotels look to have a nice "end of the day" experience as well. Thanks to everyone!
Brad
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 06:36 AM

Lostpuget- I will be in Sorrento just a few days before you with my husband and 3 teenage girls. We have rooms at the Hotel Bristol. They are within walking distance of the main square and the hotel has gotten very favorble reviews on Tripadvisor.com www.acampora.it/bristol/