Italy.....car or train?

Old Jan 28th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy.....car or train?

In the fall we are heading to Italy. Not sure if we will go in and out of Rome or Naples. We need a car for the first 2 weeks of our trip to Maratea and Monopoli and then we finish in Almafi area. Should we return the car before going to Almafi because everyone says not to drive there???? It would involve then a train to Almafi and then back by train. Not sure what is the best route to take. Golfer 18
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 08:32 AM

We drove into Positano a few years ago, and even though the roads are a little narrow and very curvy, it was a breathtaking drive. Just take it slow.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 08:43 AM

But there is absolutely no reason you need a car in the Amalfi - buses run thrice hourly or so along the dramatic coastal road - in season boats run between key towns and if doing day trips to places like Capri you can get direct boats in season or take the bus to Sorrento for many more all year - and from Sorrento a train takes you right to the gates of Pompeii

You could drive to Salerno, return the car, hop the bus to any Amalfi base and then returnto Salerno for direct trains to Rome - the train fare could well be cheaper than the fuel costs + the predatory autoroute tolls - not to mention you save some days of car rental.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 09:25 AM

The Amalfi coast road is really bad in July and August - due to huge numbers of touriss and buses. We have stayed in the area several times in May and driving was fine - not too crowded at all. The only thing is to be sure your hotel has parking - or finding a place to put the car can be a bear.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 09:39 AM

So doing a day trip say from Positano to Amalfi, once in Amalfi parking would be problematic? All the more reason to take bus or boat?
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 10:15 AM

Having driven the Amalfi coast a number of times in each direction I would not do it in July and August because of the crowded conditions that make for ultra slow going, but then I would not take the bus for the same reason. Other seasons, driving is no big deal - the road is somewhat narrow and winding but no more so than many other roads you most likely have driven. One major advantage of driving over taking the bus for me is that one can find places to pull off the road for picture taking. Also, if you are on a bus you will not have a view unless you are sitting on the side facing the water, so what is the point unless you only want to get from one place to another. As far as photos from the bus, you would have to be next to the outside window and the windows are too dirty in any case. Off season, I never have had a problem parking.

Palanque does make a good point about boats though. It gives you a completely diffent perspective of the coast.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Since this is the first time I have used this Forum, I am amazed and thankful for all your suggestions. To know that driving is not too bad in Sept/Oct is great........thank you. We will check out the cost for the extra days of a rental and also dropping the car off in Sorrento is a great idea........Golfer 18
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 11:00 AM

Golfer - one more thing though, If you are renting a standard shift you need to be comfortable starting on hills. The town of Amalfi has decent off season parking. There is also a very nice sandwich shop with outdoor tables in the square in front of the church.