3 week Italy Itinerary - need input

Mar 2nd, 2006, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

3 week Italy Itinerary - need input

Hi,

My wife and I are planning a 3 week trip to Italy (primarily) and Switzerland for this August. We realize that August isn't the best time to travel, however it is the only time that we can go for a number of reasons and we will not have this much time to travel consecutively for the considerable future. We are 28 and like to be fairly active while traveling. I'd appreciate any feedback on the following itinerary. Should we stay anywhere longer or for a shorter time? Any comments are appreciated.

Day 1 - Arrive Rome - travel to Sorrento
D2 - Sorrento (primarily interested in relaxing at beach while in Sorrento and seeing Amalfi coast)
D3 - Sorrento
D4 - Sorrento (Pompei)
D5 - Sorrento to Rome
D6 - Rome
D7 - Rome
D8 - Rome
D9 - Rome
D10 - Rome to Florence
D11 - Florence
D12 - Florence
D13 - Tuscany (interested in renting a car and going to a inn / B&B and visting a winery)
D14 - Tuscany
D15 - Tuscany to Florence to Venice
D16 - Venice
D17 - Venice
D18 - Venice to Zurich
D19 - Zurich
D20 - Depart from Zurich

Thanks,
Joe
Mar 2nd, 2006, 03:25 PM

Joe,

I would NOT go anywhere near the Amalfi Coast in August. Take that time and add it to Tuscany (rural and will feel uncrowded) or the Dolomiti!

Buon viaggio!
Mar 2nd, 2006, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Dayle,

Thanks for your response. Would your thoughts change at all if you knew that we would be in Amalfi Aug 1 - 5? Or do the crowds start immediately in August?

Thanks,
JOe
Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:13 PM

Umm, the crowds actually start arriving in May in the Amalfi.

I am not personally a fan of the Amalfi. That said, I think a plan to both see Pompeii and spend 3 days in Sorrento relaxing is not going to land you in the worst of Amalfi traffic and crowds, even in August -- although others may rightly contradict me, because I've never actually been in August.

But it seems to me that Sorrento (where I have been) is capacious and instead of driving to Amalfi (extremely bad idea in August) you could take a boat along the Amalfi coast. You might get off at the town Amalfi to take a bus to Ravello to see the views.

Or from Sorrento you could take the train to Salerno. Take the bus back up the coast road (it's less crowded down there) until you get to the Ravello bus stop, and then take a bus up to Ravello to see the views.

Or -- if you are willing to splurge -- get up very early one weekday morning and hire a car to take you to the top of Positano. Walk down to the main part of town. Have a coffee. Take the public bus back to Sorrento -- or take the bus to Amalfi and catch the boat back.

Any of these might turn out to be long day trips, and you'll find yourself crawling at times because of traffic.

But for one day out of your 4 in Sorrento, you might think it worth it. And despite not liking Amalfi as much as others, I like Sorrento a lot, despite its being less picturesque and dramatic. The food is great.

You'll need to take parasols to Pompeii in August. There is no shade. The heat is brutal.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:50 PM

Hi Joe,

I've visited the Amalfi Coast twice, once years ago in March and this past Sept. The difference was not good at all. The crowds were a total turn off for me, especially trying to get up to Ravello. The buses were late or completely MIA. The crowds push and shove to get on the buses, then everyone has to stand there in the jam-packed stifling bus, pouring sweat while the driver takes a 20 minute ciggy break. Ugly.

Personally, I have been through Sorrento several times, but have not stayed there. From what I've seen, I wouldn't want to because it's larger and more "package tour" than I care for.

I stayed in Praiano both trips and love this tiny town. However, it is nothing like Positano, so if you want shopping and nightlife, Praiano is not for you.

If you really must go, staying in one of the towns that has good boat service is the best plan. Sorrento, Positano or Amalfi. You will probably need to make advance boat reservations. I like some of ness's suggestions. Avoid the buses.

If it were me, the only way I would go to the Amalfi Coast, including Capri, during the "season" would be to stay in a lovely villa with pool and not even try to go anywhere. Go with the relaxing idea and see Pompeii on your way back to Rome!

Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:50 AM
ira

Hi J,

The Amalfi Coast has been a tourist mecca since the time of the Ceasers.

It will be crowded, as will almost all of Italy.

Have you thought of going to the Dolomites or the Lakes regions?