Reload this Page >

Italy: Cab fare from train station

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Dori

I will be staying at the Marcus (via del clementino, 94) in Italy somewhat near the Spanish Steps. Could someone please tell me what the approximate cab fare would be from the train station to the hotel so I know if I'm being ripped off? Thanks!

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Grasshopper

Can't answer your specific question. However, in general, you will not get ripped off by an Italian Taxi driver as long as you take a licensed cab from a taxi queue. Never take a ride from one of the guys who approach you at a train station or airport. They will pretty much always rip you off.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 06:26 PM
Rex

I agree that a metered cab (95% are) offers you protection from fare squabbles. It will most likely be under 10 euro.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 06:52 PM
Kay

We caught a cab twice from Termini to our hotel near Campo dei Fiori, cost about 10 euro, including extra charges for luggage and small tip.<BR>Agree that you should ignore any cabbies who approach you, just follow the signs to Taxis and wait in the queue.<BR>It also helped us to have the hotel name and address written down on a piece of paper to show the cabbie.<BR>Kay

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 04:04 PM
up

up<BR>

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 04:53 PM
David

I was in Rome last month. I took cabs approximately eight times. All were licensed. There was not one that did not try to "rip me off." My advice is to be sure the meter is set to zero before you get in, carry exact change and only pay one euro extra for each piece of luggage.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 02:48 AM
Alice Twain

I do not knw whether things are different in Rome, but in Milano you have no extra fares for luggage: all you ahve to pay is the regular fare. Also, no tipping on taxis, unless your taxi driver really offers you extra help (for instance carrying a bag to the hotel door).<BR>Recognizin authorized taxis is easy. The cars are white and sometimes yelow (the oldest ones) and have the "taxi" sign on the roof of the car. All must carry a meter and a small plaque with a number. If you are afraid to be ripped off, write down this number and talk to your hotel's manager: che will call the Vigili urbani (city police, dealing with traffic and small scams like these) if needed, and they will be able to get to the driver's name through this number.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 04:49 PM
MML

My husband and I were in Italy 3 weeks ago and took a taxi from the Rome train station to our hotel located near the Spanish Steps and it cost us 10 Euro.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 05:25 PM
claire

We took taxis last August in Rome, Milan, Ancona and Verona (to & from train station only in Verona). The ONLY time we felt we were ripped off was taking the taxi from Termini to our hotel in Rome. Yes, we took care to use only a taxi with the proper markings from the official line in front of the station. And yes, we were charged extra for bags (4 total) AND because it was about 6:30 in the evening. But the charge still was outrageous to us and way far more than our hotel had estimated. We knew it was happening, but didn't know what to do about it. Fortunately, that was the only time...

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 07:47 PM

top<BR>

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Melissa

My friend Bruno told me to always ask up front, "Contra costa bagaglio incluso?" (How much with the bags?) As this can also add to your taxi charge.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 12:52 PM
jahoulih

Quanto costa? (Contra Costa is a county in California.)

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 02:00 AM
Alice Twain

Melissa:<BR><BR>How can the taxi driver gauge exactly how much will the ride cost before he starts out? You are not charged (on autorized taxis!) by the number of people and the number of bags the taxi will carry, you are charged by the time it will take you to go from your deprature place to your destination (plus small suplements on nights, sundays and festivities), and this time will change acording to the traffic conditions and several other variables. If a taxi driver gauges the price to be 10 euro, but than he finds a traffic jam and he is forced to charge you 13 euro, you may feel ripped off, but that's the price of the ride you have taken!<BR>Yet, if you take an unauthorized taxi, thngs change radically. Remember that the only cars allowed to work as taxis are the white ones (a few are still yellow, but they are dwindling out) with the sign "TAXI" on the roof, the meter and a metla plaque with an Id inside the cabin. Only these will charge you according the the above guidelines (if they do not, write down the Id and talk to the hotel manager or to a policeman: the owner and driver of the taxi will be fined and he may lose his licence and not be allowed to get another one). The illegal taxi drivers will charge you whatever they want and according to whatever are you expectaions: if you ask if there is an extra charge for the bags, he will charge you an extra. moreover, usually these people charges are at least 50% highier than what you should expect to pay on a regular taxi. A few weeks ago, here in Milano, I had to fight to convince a foreign tourist not to follow an illegal taxi driver who claimed that would have charged a 5 minutes ride just as much as I may expect to pay for a ride to my home that's three times longer! The driver even had the face to talk me off because I was talking nonsense, it is a pity that I do not drive and therefore know just too well how much does a taxi ride from the railway station to my home costs, since I happen to use taxis a lot at night when the subway is closed.<BR>Finally, these taxi drivers are already breaking the law, and it is not unlikely that they might break the law in more ways than just working as taxi drivers when they couldn't and charging you more than they should. They often add more scams to these, offering you stolen goods, or working one of the many scams for which Italy has grown a just fame (for instance, offering to sell you a camera for half its price, he will even show it to you, you pay, you get at the office, oepn the parcel and find a brick instead pof the camera you have seen).

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 04:55 AM
Tom

Hasn't Don already got good answers and reassurance? What would be the explanation for writing not one, but two multi-paragraph answers to this itsy-bitsy little question?<BR>

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 05:00 AM
Alice Twain

Tom:<BR><BR>1. My second answer was to Melissa.<BR>2. You are not required to read everything I write: I will not take offense.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 05:23 AM
Betsy

Here's the response we received from our hotel:<BR><BR>Dear Sirs,<BR><BR>we are pleased to inform you that a taxi from the airport to the Hotel<BR>should cost more less euro 40,00. Once you get into the taxi, look at the<BR>taximeter that must show you a fare of euro 4,00. Once you have reached the<BR>Hotel look again at the taximeter and add at that fare euro 1,03 per luggage<BR>and you will exactly know how much you have to pay.<BR>