Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Expected taxi cost from Termini Station to Hotel Alimandi near Vatican

Expected taxi cost from Termini Station to Hotel Alimandi near Vatican

Dec 23rd, 2005, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Expected taxi cost from Termini Station to Hotel Alimandi near Vatican

Hello,

Four of us will be arriving at the Termini Station on Wednesday afternoon and will need to take a taxi to the Hotel Alimandi.

What should I expect as a fare for this trip. Anyone with comments is appreciated. We will all have only one small luggage.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Dec 23rd, 2005, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Also,

would taking public transportation be an option and would it be safe. I will be with my wife daughters of 14 & 4.

Thank you.
Dec 23rd, 2005, 08:30 PM

Elmo, I suggest you e-mail the hotel at [email protected] and ask their opinion about what you should expect to pay for taxi fare for the 4.5 mile taxi ride.

On my first trip to Rome, we paid too much (20 euros) for a hair-raising cab ride from the Termini to our hotel, which was half mile away as the crow flies, but heaven-only-knows how far as our driver took us. We had caught the cab in the approved taxi rank in front of the station and asked what the fare would be, but we didn't know how far away our hotel was or what fare we should expect.

Being gouged by a cab driver is just not the way you want your Rome visit to begin.

Personally, I wouldn't try public transit on the trip from the Termini to your hotel, toting luggage and possible tired from a trip. It's too nerve-racking, especially with the risk of pick-pockets on high-volume public transit to a destination you're not familiar with.

Have a wonderful time! Rome is still my favorite city in the world!
Dec 24th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Mary_Fran.
Dec 24th, 2005, 12:50 PM

the mintue you step out of the station you will be beset by numerous cabs. Just walk on by to the taxi line on the right - trip should run 10-12e
+ small bag fee figure max 20e if you want to tip but its not required.
Dec 24th, 2005, 05:17 PM

I think public transit is pretty easy on this route from Termini. You could buy the ticket for 16 Euros for unlimited transit for one week, if you are going to be there long enough and if you plan to visit other sites. I understand the concern about pickpockets. I wouldn't do this unless you are willing to use a moneybelt under your clothes. I know cabs have a lot to be said for them in terms of ease and convenience, but the metro in Rome is not bad.
Dec 25th, 2005, 07:05 AM

If you take metro A or a bus, you'll have to do a little walking, and you'll have to be a little savy about where to get off. You'll need a street map, Streetwise Rome is excellent. The subways/busses tend to be very crowded, so it may not be best for a 4 year old and luggage.

I took this approach, and it was very adventuresome. The metro is easier than the buses, but it's destinations are limited.

Search this Thread