Italian Destination for Christmas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2021, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a group of 6 (my parents, my husband and myself, and 2 of my kids ages 14 and 18) that are currently booked for Sorrento over Christmas. Our plan was to have a relaxing time enjoying Italy and the scenery. We would like to do some easy hikes, see Ravello, Pompeii etc. However, I've received feedback that we may not enjoy our time in Sorrento/AC over Christmas and we should consider other destinations in Italy.

We have traveled quite a bit around Italy but never down south to Naples/Sorrento/AC area. I would love to get some feedback from this forum if this is a mistake and whether or not we should consider booking somewhere else in Italy. We are flying into Rome so we have some flexibility on where we go.

Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in Italy, and the most festive place I've visited during the Christmas season was Milan. Special art exhibits and concerts, trams decorated with Christmas lights, and traditional musicians in Piazza del Duomo. We were there for the Feast of the Immaculate Conception (8th of December, a national holiday) and the Feast of Sant'Ambrogio (December 9th, a local holiday). All the stops are pulled out for these days. We even got to see the Last Supper free, and without having to make an almost-impossible reservation, on the Feast of Sant'Ambrogio. (We just had to line up very early in the morning.)

Italy doesn't go all out with lights and decorations as the US does. And the festivities don't begin as far in advance as they do in the US. But the holidays are prolonged to January 6th, which is the Feast of Epiphany.

I've never been to Sorrento over Christmas, but if your interest is hiking and scenery, I don't see why that would be a problem. There's always a risk of rainy, foggy weather, but that's true anywhere in Italy in the winter, and the further north you are, the greater the risk is. The only advantage I can see to a different location is that if you visit a city there are more indoor options, but for hiking, the further south you are, the better your chances.

Ferries are on reduced winter schedules in December, and there's always a risk of choppy seas, which prevent ferries from running altogether.

Last edited by bvlenci; Oct 23rd, 2021 at 11:44 AM.
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 12:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Context Travel offers excellent cultural tours in Italy, and it has a webpage on just this subject. You might even find a holiday-themed class or tour that suits your group's interests.

https://www.contexttravel.com/blog/a...stmas-in-italy
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 06:32 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Our landlord in Sorrento told us to return again at Christmas as there is a large Christmas parade.