Search

Need help with Italian destination and house/apt rental

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with Italian destination and house/apt rental

Hello Fodorites:

My husband, Larry, and I are in our mid sixties and have recently discovered house rentals in Europe. Last fall, we rented an apartment in Bonnieux, Provence (Bastide Maréchal Denier or the Gendarmerie) for three weeks. We were helped enormously during our planning by many of you as well as folks at www.slowtrav.com. I thank all of you in advance for any help you may give us.

In France, we had a wonderful time and we were quite happy with our choice of staying in a picturesque village. This fall, we would like to rent a one, or perhaps two, bedroom apartment or house in Italy, where we have traveled to before, but never by staying in one place for a lengthy stay. We have traveled to the major cities as well as shortish trips to northern Tuscany, Umbria, the Lake District, the Dolomites, and the Amalfi coast. This time, we are trying to explore another region and are considering southern Tuscany, the Marches, or perhaps the Italian Riviera. My husband speaks French, Spanish, and Italian, and I am a student of French. I’ve been particularly attracted to the area around Montepulciano, but am pretty open at this point.

We are planning a 2 week vacation (perhaps 3 if we can work it out and the cost is not too prohibitive). With the dollar at an all-time low, value becomes even more important, and we are trying to find something that is not overly expensive In France, we enjoyed being in a village where we could walk to restaurants and stores, and would like to do so again this time. Although we love the country and might enjoy its serenity and beauty, we liked having dinner in a local restaurant and walking “home” without worrying about driving. Although we are not big drinkers, it is a shame to avoid alcohol in France or Italy. We would consider staying outside a village where we could walk or drive a short distance and easily park. We would like a village that is big enough to have several restaurants and stores and a house or apartment that is near enough to “attractions” for 2-3 weeks. We are comfortable with day trips of approximately an hour or so. In France, we enjoyed exploring the small villages, going to country markets, visiting small museums, taking walks in the countryside, etc. It is not hard to be stimulated and excited in France or Italy!

I know many of you travel to Italy quite regularly and I’d love some suggestions about regions that you think might be appropriate for us at this time. In addition, does anyone have specific apartments or houses that you would recommend in the areas mentioned above? I’m concerned that it might be late for planning such a trip and that might be a factor in choosing an area of Italy that is perhaps less visited.

Thanks,
Margret
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 03:53 PM

ttt
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:52 AM
rex

I'm a little surprised that ou have not received any responses yet -- but maybe it is harder to find than immediately meets the eye. I have enjoyed villa stays twice in France (same place - - in Montauroux, un he Var) and twice in Italy (Tuscany, once, in the middle of nowhere and once on Lake Garda about 4 miles from the town of Garda)...

...and none of my choices were within walking distances of any restaurants.

But looking for a property ig nough for a sizable group (mine were 6, 16, 14 and 7) - - and looking for an apartment for two is such a different thing that my experiences are mot likely irrelevant.

That said - - I would like to propose to your our destination of choice for summer of 2008: Sicily.

Now, if you are sure you want to go to Tuscany, il Marche or the Riviera, I won't tell you you are making the rong dcision - - but I can tell you we have had plenty of self-catering places to consider in Sicily (we are a group of 8, this time) - - and a pleasant surp[rise has been that we found several choices with options to stay less than the usual 7-niht Saturday stay.

One of our rentals is through www.solosicily.com - - it happens to be IN Palermo... so NOT the small town you are seeking, but there are lots of properties on their web site. Our agent ther was Gioacchino Sortino and he has treated me very well.

We actually have four different stays of two or three nights, and in three out of four of those, we ARE using apartments made for two - - the one town that might fit yor description is Caltabellotta (a town with five esturants in it) - - about 30 minutes up into the hils above Sciacca. We are renting that from Konny Fischer at www.siciliapartments.de

You can see more about Caltabellota at ww.caltabellotta.com

I hope this helps - - and if not - - at least it tops you again.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 05:20 AM

I had the same thought as you about staying in a small town or village to avoid driving dark and winding roads at night after dinner. Here's a link to the place we stayed at in Pienza. It's an old house converted into apartments and it's right in town. Very quiet.

There are 2 supermarkets very close, within walking distance, although I drove to them since I didn't want to carry heavy bags back.

Parking is limited and you can't park right outside the villa but you're given a parking permit to park anywhere else in town. I found parking every night within 5 minutes of searching and only 2-3 minutes walk back to the apartment.

There's a communal washer (no dryer) and it runs on a slow cycle (2-3 hours for a wash). There's a garden with tables to sit in if you want an aperitif before going to dinner.

Best of luck finding a place. I know I looked at lots of places before choosing this one.

http://www.intuscany.net/apartments/...conditions.htm
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 06:33 AM

Just to show you something, in Le Marche, 2 km from the small hill town of Cupramontana, would it be something like that you are looking for? Region OK?. House style OK? Environment OK? Price OK?
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 06:40 AM

This is a highly recommended apartment in Montepulciano if you decide on Tuscany. Check SlowTravel reviews. I haven't stayed there yet but will be for our next trip.

http://www.appartamentialpoggiolo.it/
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Baldrick, but there were no links on your message. The Marches area sounds interesting and less explored. Thanks Rex for your suggestion of using Sicily as a base. We will certainly use that in our explorations, though I'd like to settle this relatively soon. Adrienne, are there many restaurants in Pienza? Thanks to everyone for suggestions and I'd love more since I'm concerned that we mi8ght be late for fall reservations.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:19 AM

There was a very recent discussion of your question on this board--do a search using "Poggiolo Apts/ " - and you will find useful information on the Poggiolo apartments in Montepulciano. I have not stayed in them but have stayed and can recommend the apartments at www.politian.com . They are also in Montepulciano and we will return this September. Good luck. Paul
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:37 AM

Go to the web site www.theitalyhouse.com
This house is owned by my brother-in-law. It is in Paterno in the central part of the country. Fabulous view, easy transportation on train to Rome. Take a look at it.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 03:58 PM

Please look at this website www.ilcolombaiolo.com We stayed at this agriturismo which is right outside Pienza, for a week in May and loved it. The location is great for day-touring, and the views from the apartment are gorgeous. It was spotlessly clean, and the owners, who live on premises, were so gracious and helpful. Southern Tuscany is very beautiful, and I can't wait to return there. Will definitely stay at this same location. Have a wonderful trip.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 06:34 PM

There are 5 restaurants in Pienza that I can think of right away but there may be more. There one we wanted to eat at but didn't reserve and they were booked our last night in Pienza - Rosellini. I think it was Latte di Luna that I wasn't thrilled with (it's the restaurant at the far end of town from the main square).

If you stay in Pienza I would suggest at least one dinner or lunch at Il Tinaio in San Quirico which is about 10 to 12 minutes from Pienza. They had some of the best food of the trip; we ate lunch there twice. It's near the church on the left as you go up the hill.

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 09:44 PM

Sorry justretired.
Here comes the link.
http://www.lagirandola.eu/EN_Bed&Bre...partement.html