Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam Layover - Need Detailed Directions to Centraal Station

Apr 23rd, 2008, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I have a seven hour layover in Amsterdam on our way back from Greece. We will have a backpack with us but do not wish to carry it into the city as we are touring the Anne Frank House and backpacks are not allowed. I am looking for someone to provide me detailed directions from the time we get off our plane to finding the luggage lockers to finding the train to get to Centraal Station. I know this topic has been discussed several times, but I'm looking for specific details:

1. When I get off the plane and exit the gate into the airport, where do I find the luggage lockers?

2. Do the luggage lockers take credit cards?

3. After I store the backpack in a locker, where do I go to find the train to Centraal Station?

4. Where do I buy a ticket for the train?

5. Can I use a credit card to buy the train ticket?

6. What train do I get on?

7. Are there any issues I need to know about returning to the airport on the way back?

8. I read on Trip Advisor a post from a couple of years ago that if for example, my plane comes in to the D terminal and my next plane leaves out of the B terminal, that I have to store my luggage in a locker in the D terminal, go back through security for the D terminal to get the luggage, then leave the D terminal and go back through security for the B terminal? Does this sound accurate?

Sorry for all the questions, but my thought is that if I know in advance what to do, it will greatly speed up my process, giving us more time in Amsterdam.
Apr 23rd, 2008, 01:46 PM

The luggage room which also has self-service luggage lockers is clearly signed at Schiphol.

As to the train station, you proceed to the area of the terminal known as Schiphol Plaza...there are signs everywhere which point you toward the rail station.

The ticket windows and the machines for tickets are on the main level. I am not sure if your CC will work in the machines but you can easily buy tickets at the window.

there are three-four trains per hour to Centraal Station...you can easily see the final destination of any train on the electronic SIGNS overhanging the platforms. Yours should say Amsterdam CS...make certain you get on one of those and not on a train which terminates near the RAI.

The trip in takes 15-20 minutes.
Apr 23rd, 2008, 02:00 PM

I think it would be easier to store your luggage in a locker at the airport than have to worry about it a Centraal(what if you get there and they are all in use?). My understanding of the aiport storage is lockers are for short term (up to 7 days) and the left luggage facility is for longer (up to a month?). There are multiple areas that have lockers at the airport. I would try to store near your departure area in case you are running late for some reason. There is also a tour service that operates out of the airport, that has tours available based on your layover time. Take a look at the airport website for more specifics.
Apr 23rd, 2008, 05:01 PM

www.schiphol.nl has English and also terminal map...
Apr 23rd, 2008, 05:44 PM

Based on my recent experience your American credit card will not work in the kiosks. Make sure you take a number (as you would at the deli counter) when you enter the ticket area. They post the numbers on a screen above the ticket sellers and take them in order.
Apr 23rd, 2008, 06:26 PM

gomiki, you sure they do that at Schiphol? I don't remember that, I just recall the choice of 'International' or 'Domestic' ticket windows, and lines at all of them. I always just get in a line.

I have tried using the kiosks, I think it required coins. Usually other people using them that you can watch to see what to do. I also think it had an English option.
Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:20 PM

Train ticket machines do NOT accept CCs. Anybodies CCs, Dutch was are no more use than a foreign one. They do accept debit(ATM) cards with a 4 figure PIN. I don't know if they accept US cards.
Go to the ticket desk and pay a small surcharge and buy them there to be sure.
All the "terminals" are connected you can just walk through from one to another - it is really just one big building divided into terminals for clarity.
The Schiphol site is very clear and easy to understand. Schiphol itself is also very easy to understand and well signposted.
If you are flying back to the US remember to allow a lot of time for security when you return to Schiphol - you will have to go through an individual interview. That means if the 7 hour layover is touch down to take off you really only have something like 4 hours in Amsterdam.