Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Istanbul Turkey advice - we're going to a wedding!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2014, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All:

Please help with advice - we'll be in Istanbul Turkey for 9 days in January and attending a wedding! Staying with Turkish families, no need for hotel / restaurant / rental car / itinerary as we will go with the flow. We've been there before, so checking tourist spots is not on the agenda for this trip. Haven't been to Istanbul for 4-5 years, so here goes

A. What gifts are cool, desirable, and hard to get in Turkey to bring from the USA? Nothing bulky or heavy.
- Gifts for young men ages 20-30, their parents ~50's, and one grandmother ~70's.
- Gifts for the wife-to-be-who-we-have-not-met. Mid-late 20's, she is a doctor.
We've tried asking but they said "just come - bring yourselves", but that is not essentially too helpful
Here's my plan:
Young men = electronics? Polo Ralph Lauren clothes? Other brand? NFL? MLB? College logo?
Parents of Bride and Groom = Moms - jewelry, Dads = I'm stumped
Grandmother = reading glasses, clothes, ?
Bride and Groom = money. dollars. housewares??

B. Wedding advice? Land mines? What to wear/do at the wedding/reception? Colors to avoid? What do people typically give at weddings, besides money? Do they have registries there like here?

Thanks in advance for all your help! We can't wait to go back to Istanbul!!!!!!
PS will post trip report
Old Dec 6th, 2014, 12:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Two questions first :

1. Income level of the families? High, Medium, Moderate?

2. Wedding venue.

With no indication re above,

afternoon wedding : wear cocktail dress (with wrap?) / dark suit

evening wedding/dinner : long dress with elegant wrap / dark suit (unless "black tie" specified in invitation.)

I like wearing a tuxedo, believing (possibly wrongly) that I look better in one, but prefer a more colorfull personally tied bowtie to let people differentiate me from the waiters.

Avoid wearing white or any color close to white.

Presents :

1. No need to bring presents to parents. However, If you are staying at parent's home, they could appreciate :

- a fine arts print if you think they would appreciate it, or
- an "airport" device for wireless connection between computers and TV if they are electronically inclined and like to watch foreign TV, with a netflix membership (and help in setting it up with a new IP and billing address in the United States). or
- scratch pads to place at backs of divans, cardboard scratch box, treats and catnip, if they have cats. or
- step counter, pulse, calory measuring device if they are dieting or exercising and like walking hiking (2 of them)

For granma : hush puppy slippers or Minnetonkas (if mostly stay at home) Fit Flop sandals (if active), Kem playing cards, if she frequently plays bridge, canasta or Americano.

Bride and Groom :
- Registry or
- Dollars. or
- A nice Kitchen Aid Robot would go well but depends if they already have one similar or getting something like it. Also difficult to carry. or

- nice watches ( Amazon has incredible numbers of nice looking watches at big discounts ) (you need to be careful though of what type and size of watch they would prefer)

Young men :

- Abercrombie and Fitch or similar sweat shirts, hoodies.

- Merrell or Nike walking sneakers.

- elastic, woven belts of different colors. (check Marshalls

- Nike or similar training pants and/or tops

Finally, I will give you our address and if they do not like any of the above, we are prepared to accept them from the goodness of our hearts, so that you do not need to carry them all the way back home.
Old Dec 7th, 2014, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

otherchelebi - thanks so much for the info and quick reply!!

Q1: Income level - middle/upper middle class.
Q2: Venue & time - No clue. will ask.

Gifting:
- 2 Fitbits.
- Airport Device + Netflix = great idea! Hadn't thought of it. They would really like that.
- I'll check Amazon for watches.
- thanks for the suggestions for Marshalls; belts, the Merrell/Nike idea for athletic shoes, and workout clothes. Hope to hit some pre/post Christmas sales.

Venue: Assuming evening. We'll avoid white/close-to-white dresses. Current thought is formal/long. DD is in a sorority, should have dresses to choose from. Me, I'll be shopping for a long dress. Men have it easy!

Communications - Planning to buy a SIM Card at the airport & unlock my phone while there. The apple charger just needs an adapter not a converter. Planning to use my iphone as a camera.

Grandma -retired schoolteacher - still a bundle of energy I hope. Her sight was not good the last time, I'm bringing a couple pairs of reading glasses for her. There should be plenty of Hush Puppy slipper choices at the mall this time of year.

I'd love to bring the Robot, but at around 26 pounds, probably not, the box would be bulky.

We are dog owners, and love animals. Last time we visited Istanbul we enjoyed bringing treats/leftovers to stray animals in the city, so I'll bring some lightweight catnip & dog supplies for "grandma" who dearly loves animals. Great idea!

Lastly, if they don't want the stuff you are certainly welcome to it! I don't want to lug it back
Old Dec 8th, 2014, 01:05 AM

We found gift giving very difficult in Istanbul, because the city is so sophisticated (I'm not certain that is the correct usage) and good shopping is so widespread. That said, we tried to bring things with us that we thought would be reflective of the United States and less available in Turkey.

Sports items were less successful than we expected because of the popularity if the NBA in Turkey, (put that in "Who Knew?" category.)Jewelry worked only because my wife makes that a hobby, and the choices were very personal. OTOH, items from the national parks, particularly a well mounted mineral collection from Yellowstone, were very much appreciated.
Old Dec 8th, 2014, 01:11 AM

If venue someplace like Ciragan Palace or one of the other 5 Star chain Hotels or an old Ottoman Mansion, it is likely that the ladies will be wearing the top of the fashion. Does not necessarily require that you wear designer but make sure that you have the Wow factor in your choice of color, cleavage and composition (accessories).
If your DH does not wear a tux, he should wear a navy or black Solid suit, not gray and never with stripes.

Here's a link to some pre-wedding ceremony photographs of my older daughter and some family and friends as they appeared in an Izmir magazine. This was a beach wedding at Alacati-Izmir.

http://www.dijimecmua.com/divamagazi...-erdogan-cana/
Old Dec 8th, 2014, 01:16 AM

I forgot,

Make sure you find out the grandmothers corrective lense measurements before you get her reading glasses, or get her just some special frames and allow them to have the prescription lenses placed.

It would be nice to have a nice looking neck piece and a special box for the glasses also.
Old Dec 8th, 2014, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Jeff801 -
- I remember NBA is really popular (we follow NCAA Bball, and there have been Turkish players at TX, KY and other schools) and Kobe advertises for the Airlines.
- Groom's Grandma would love National Park items - they have a small place up in the mountains and used to go hiking when Grandma was younger - great idea! Hadn't thought of that!! - - I've hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and have some souveniers from Phantom Ranch which would be really cool to share! YES!! I have a nice picture book of the Grand Canyon, travel planner for Yellowstone, and actually minerals from other parks. Grandma would love, she is so curious about the world.
- I'm going to also assess Gramdma's health/ability to travel as I'd like to have her here for a trip. She lost her husband this year, and had been caring for him the last several years as he was too ill to travel and she would not leave him. she hasn't been back to the US since the late 90's or early 2000's (maybe that would be a good gift too?!!)
- Groom's mom is more interested in a mall than national park. When they were in the US, we took mom of groom's family to several mid-Atlantic national & state parks. While mom tolerated them, the mall & big-box stores were a much bigger draw.
- Thank you for these great suggestions, and helping me plan my trip gift giving.

Otherchelebi -
- I was going to get some 2.5 & 3.0 reading glasses from WalMart or Costco (I use different strengths for reading, compared to the computer, for example). But a nice pair of elegant designer frames - another GREAT idea from you - she can get the prescription filled locally. I'm adding accessories for the glasses to the list too!
- Thanks for the photo link, and congratulations to your older daughter, what beautiful pictures, and a lovely pre-wedding photo shoot, seeing these lovely photos solidified my type of dress choice -solid color, long, either green, purple, or rose, with best jewelry.
- Given my "age" I'll be looking at "mother" dresses but nothing frumpy. Guys will wear solid black suits, or perhaps tux.
- Thank you very much for the advice, your helpfulness is appreciated!

I also asked about the venue, this was the response:

"The wedding will start at 7 p.m. on Saturday evening. It will be a very busy day. First, we will take her to the hairdresser. She will get ready for the evening. Then I don't know what we are going to do until the wedding ceremony. May be we can go to a restaurant all together or they may do something different.She can go home. Because In the evening we'll go to her house and take her from her family. Later everybody will be at the place where the ceremony will start. It is a nice place. I'll wear a long black dress. My mum bought a long dress. If you want, you and (daughter) can wear long dresses,too. Bride's family is very crowded. She has got 4 brothers and 4 sisters. She is the youngest one. Her eldest brother is 53 years old. "

So there we have it - venue - Istanbul, "a nice place". I just don't know...exactly where...

You are right about Istanbul being sophisticated, and everything is there, and multitude of shopping everything from the most luxurious malls to big box stores and small shops. However, I do remember they all loved Mexican food while visiting the US, so maybe toss some Old El Paso seasoning mixes & taco shells in the suitcase for a fun fiesta dinner a few nights before the wedding - something different. LOL.

If I get a chance to shop for myself, I want earrings, leather boots, and especially a Turkish Glass Mosaic Lamp, ceiling mounted (will rewire in US).
Old Dec 8th, 2014, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Apparently there's to be a traditional henna ceremony the night before the wedding, at the bride's aunt's house.
Old Dec 8th, 2014, 01:29 PM

You do not have to worry about what to wear for the henna ceremony. Be casual. They will provide everything.

It is an Anatolian village tradition which became popular in urban Turkey in recent years, and can be lots of fun. a bit like a Bachelorette Party but with grown ups. Do not be surprised if there is a male belly dancer and/or supposedly mature women do crazy things.

The traditional folk songs for the occasion are usually sad : about the bride leaving to go behind the mountains and such, but some are lively.
Old Dec 8th, 2014, 01:34 PM

Surprise them in case they have not thought of getting a recording of the most popuar song :

"Yuksek Yuksek Tepeler"

and download it from youtube or such and play it before they do on your IPhone, Ipad or MP3. Do not forget a small speaker for some volume.
Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 01:25 AM

That sounds like a great plan dear. On the same time I am also going to plan for local NYC events and I am also looking for similar suggestions, can you help me in finalizing venue from https://eventup.com/venues/new-york-ny/ site. Please help I really need it, and I wish you luck with your journey.