Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Proper clothing for females visiting Turkey?

Old May 11th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Can't locate info on what's not going to offend...except no knees showing.
Any other suggestions? Legit ones, that is!!
Old May 11th, 2009, 04:46 AM

You'll find many of the local young ladies in outfits that wouldn't be out of place in NY or London.

BUT as a visitor coveer your knees & shoulders
Old May 11th, 2009, 04:56 AM

We visited two years ago. In Istanbul, my daughter and I wore capris or skirts or light summer dresses ( yes, sleeveless- it was almost 100 degrees!). NO shorts, NO minis, no revealing clothing. We also brought long summer scarves with us, which we draped over our shoulders when visiting mosques. There are attendants outside the mosques who will give you scarves to wear inside if you don't have any with you.

In the resort towns and for a visit to Ephesus where it was well over 100 degrees (!), we did wear our usual hot weather clothes- shorts and tank tops.
Old May 11th, 2009, 05:19 AM

Turkey is a fascinating mix of modern and traditional. Did you know that women in Turkey got the right over a decade before women got the right to vote in France?

It depends on where you are and what you're doing. Large sections of the European side of Istanbul will feel like any European Mediterranean city - you'll see trendy fashions (good shopping! - Go to the mall Kanyon and the one nearby - MetroCity I think), sleeveless tops, knee length and even mini skirts and skyscraper heels. Likewise, in the resort towns you'll see a wide range of dress, including what you'd expect to see in a European Mediterranean resort town.

In other areas of Turkey, somewhat more modest clothing is likely appropriate: capris instead of shorts, short or 3/4 sleeve shirts, etc. Low vneck tshirts and tank tops probably are inappropriate.

Also, as others have noted, when visiting mosques, be prepared to cover bare arms and shoulders with a shawl.

One other piece of clothing advice - wear sensible shoes? I don't know how Turkish women manage to move so surefootedly in skyscraper heels on uneven and even broken pavement in cities like Istanbul and Ankara, but I nearly wiped out several times in my loafers. Take care and have fun!
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:03 AM

There have been several references to scarves for bare arms and shoulders, but don't forget a scarf to cover your head in a mosque as a sign of respect.
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. Very helpful!