Istanbul Side Trips

Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Istanbul Side Trips

My teenage sons and I have booked 6 nights at the Istanbul Four Season in August 2007. I'm thinking we could divert some of this time to a day trip or overnight elsewhere, and still not feel rushed. Epheseus? Aphrodisias? Other? Most appreciative of any suggestions.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 06:01 PM
Neopolitan

By all means take the regular ferry along the Bosphorus. It's an all day deal, going to just before it runs into the Black Sea and you can stop at Anadolu Kavagi(?) and have a wonderful seafood lunch, hike up the hill for views and the old ruins, then return. Do NOT take one of the more luxurious boats -- it's all about rubbing elbows with the locals on the big ferry.

Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 06:46 PM

I think that a trip to Ephesus would be fabulous but considering that you are going in August-I might rethink that with the heat. My own family spent a week in Istanbul and you really can keep yourselves occupied for 6 nights.Ephesus is really not a daytrip as you have to go down to Izmir by plane or Kadasai(sp?) where all the cruise ships come in and then over.I agree with Neopolitan with taking the regular ferry-fabulous sightseeing and people watching. If you take the time to walk around the older section of Istanbul and mingle with the real people of Istanbul you will really enjoy the city.The Turkish people are delightful and very friendly. The food is amazing and the sights like Aye Sophia with hearing the "call" nightly is magical.Tell us what sort of things you and your sons enjoy and perhaps we can help you on daytrips?
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 08:27 AM

If you are willing to take several days, you might check my report on our drive down the Aegean coast to Assos, Foca, Sirince and Efes......click my name to search for it...from fall 2005
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 09:08 AM

Well, I think Ephesus is a must. Yes- it will be a long day from Istanbul, but well worth it.

I'm going to be realistic....I LOVE Istanbul, and my hubby and I could hang around for days.....but dealing with teens is another story. We were there last March with our 13 and 14 year old sons...and, after 3 days....they were done!! Okay - to be fair, it was the 2nd trip for my younger son.

How "firm" is your stay in Istanbul? Can you break it up and go somewhere else for a few days?

If so....there are LOTS of options! Turkey is a fabulouse place...for all ages!
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 10:34 AM
Neopolitan

Please tell us you're also going to Cappadocia so the teenage sons can hot-air balloon, hike through the underground cities and see some amazingly interesting caves.

Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for lovely replies. It may be that we are unorthodox travelers. When the travel agents say stuff like "3 nights will be PLENTY in Beijing" (or similar), I figure I may never return and need to hang out longer to get a better feel for the place. More is more kind of thing.

This past summer, we traveled to Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, and Venice for 4 nights each. One of our best trips ever! So I guess I'd say we are art, museum, antiquities, and food folks with an urban preference. No dad, so it may also be that cities and fewer destinations are easier...

Our summer 2007 itinerary includes 6 nights in each of Madrid, Florence, and Istanbul. It's a return engagement to Madrid for me and to Florence for all 3 of us. My 16 year old thinks Florence is the world's greatest city. Can you blame him? Istanbul is the icing on our cake. Did I mention unorthodox?