Istanbul/Cappadocia Travel Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, Looking for some advice on a potential travel itinerary to Turkey.
Flying into Istanbul on a Monday. Planning to spend Monday-Thursday in the “old city”. Currently looking for a place to stay, so any comments would be helpful. There are three females and one male.
On Thursday we are planning to fly to Cappadocia. All of the ‘reasonable’ flights seems to be from SAW rather than IST. Is this a huge issue in terms of getting to SAW (which seems to be quite a bit further away). Can this be done through public transit?
We plan to spend the night at a cave hotel and go back to Istanbul staying in the new city from Friday to Monday. We are currently looking at an accommodation through VRBO. Has anyone done this in Istanbul.
Old May 28th, 2013, 03:53 PM

One night in Cap is hardly worth the trip. Suggest staying in Istanbul and maybe do a shorter day trip...a Bosphorus ferry cruise stopping at several places along the way with a two hour stop in Andolu Kavagi. Thus giving you a feeel for what small-town Turkey is like.
Old May 28th, 2013, 05:26 PM

We stayed at Hotel niles In Istanbul. would highly recommend it. In the garment district.short walk to blue mosque etc. I wouldn't go to cappadochia unless you can spend 2 or preferably 3 nights. You are probably better off to stay in Istanbul if you only have a week.lots of things to see and do in Istanbul
Old May 28th, 2013, 06:13 PM

Question for leuk2: I've read that tourists are harrassed by touts outside the hotels in the Sultanahmet area. Was that true when you stayed at Hotel Niles?
Old May 28th, 2013, 07:05 PM

We stayed the Tan Hotel in Stanbul and it is recommended. Cappadocia is certainly worth a trip. It is one of the most interesting palces we have visited.
Old May 28th, 2013, 11:14 PM

I have stayed in The Orient before & it was great. We stayed in the suites out the back. I also didnt get hassled at all. Agree with everyone else - you should spend at least a few days/nights in Cappadocia. As for flying out of SAW - the only problem is the buses to & from the airport. Depending on the time of your flight, you can hit some pretty bad Istanbul traffic!!!
Old May 30th, 2013, 07:31 PM

We were not harassed by anybody in Istanbul. Hotel niles is not in the Sultanaahmet district, but is pretty close.There was never anybody outside Hotel Niles. Staff were absolutely wonderful. Probably the best service we have had at any hotel in Europe. The Garment district is quiet. It's a short ( 1 block-Uphill walk) to the main street which has the tram, but a short walk also to the Sultanamet distict. Maybe 10 minutes. Would I stay there again? Yes. I am not any way connected to the hotel, but I think this is the best deal in Istanbul. Check out the reviews on tripadvisor.
Old May 30th, 2013, 07:45 PM

BigAl...love you profile pic of Einstein. Your airliner tips were marvelous. The OP is stating one night in Cap..that's why all of the responses and mine suggest more. One helluva shlep for one night. E=mc squared!
Old May 31st, 2013, 07:44 AM

Thank you Mr. Tower.Did you know Mick Jagger stole his now trademarked tongue from Einstein?