Which two out of three spots to visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be visiting Turkey after a 21 day tour with students that will end in Athens. Unfortunately, I don't have as much time as I had hoped--only 6 days, 5 nights, before I have to be back in Athens to catch my flight home. So...I will narrow my visit to two of these three:
--Istanbul
--Cappadocia
--a coastal town; perhaps Olu Deniz or Antalya

Maybe leaving Ephesus off the list is a crime, but I will have seen a lot of ancient ruins already on the tour. I need to see Istanbul, of course, and love exploring cities, but I would also love a couple of days by the water in a smaller town. I usually say, "save something for the next trip," but I may not be back to Turkey for some time. Is Cappadocia something that I just should not miss? I should say that the student tour will end with a 3 day cruise of the Greek Islands, so I will have had some of that seaside experience--but with 18 teenagers!

Thank you for offering your opinions or suggestions.

Old Mar 30th, 2008, 05:47 PM

I think Cappadocia is something that's not to be missed. The southern coast is nice - Antalya is a nice town and is pretty relaxing, but Cappadocia is more incredible than it seems in photos, and if you want to have some relaxing time (as a fellow teacher, I know you'll want to tune out after your trip!) sitting on the rooftop of your hotel looking at the fairy chimneys will do the trick. If you don't think you'll be back to Turkey, go to Cappadocia!!

Enjoy!
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 10:34 PM

Agree with jk1234. Cappadocia is such a unique and special place that it should not be missed. The photographs, brochures and even words do not reflect the magical attraction of the place. You will definitely not regret going to Cappadocia rather than going to a seaside resort.

Enjoy the experience
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 12:48 AM

Cappadocia is not to be missed, but so is Istanbul...

Istanbul: experiencing Constantinople after a stay in Athens might offer you some valuable perspectives on art history.
You also state you need to see Istanbul, and you love exploring cities.

I would attack the problem from another angle. I have lived in Istanbul for 1 year and visited Cappadocia extensively, for my job that is.
Reading your message, I presume you have a real interest in art history and would go beyond the bulk tourism sites.
Five days is just enough for Istanbul. Cappadocia could be done in 3 days, leaving 2 days for another smaller destination (Antalya?, Ephesos?,...).
Is this the last time in your life you'll be somewhere around Athens or Istanbul? Will you do this trip again next year or in 2 or 3 years time? Even if it's 5 years...
If so, then choose one destination and enjoy it thoroughly. You will be extremely disappointed if you 'ld have to rush through Istanbul and Cappadocia and see less than half the things worth seeing of every spot...
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 01:27 AM

Hi Pdersch;
As other posters stated, Istanbul & Cappadocia is a good combination for this time. I would not be so sure about ancient sites you have seen before visiting Turkey ;-)
Make Ephesus topic of another trip.
If your cruise passes Kusadasi than you are luck as Ephesus will be within 20 min. reach.
Happy travelling,

Murat
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Ah! It does port at Kusadasi--which I already saw on the last tour! Okay, then, I will see Ephesus that day, and I'll do Istanbul and Cappadocia on my own. Baldrick has great advice about perhaps seeing only one of them, but I fear I may not make it back to this part of the world anytime soon.

I can always count on "fodies" for great advice. Thanks!