more time in istanbul OR cappadocia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am trying to purchase intra-turkey flights between kayseri/cappadocia and istanbul. we have the option of spending an extra day in either cappadocia or going back to istanbul earlier. do you think i should allot more time to cappadocia or istanbul?

my fear is that after relaxing in cappadocia, istanbul will seem like an assault of the senses and the feeling of peace will disappear...perhaps this has just been my experience in other countries. for example: after spending a few glorious days in cusco and hiking the inca trail, returning to lima the night before my flight was quite depressing. do you know what i mean? will going to istanbul from cappadocia do that also?
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 08:46 PM

You are just filled with pre-conceived notions. I would suggest you simply enjoy each on its own terms.

You do not state how long you are planning to stay any where, so it is difficult to know where to spend the extra day.
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 02:34 AM

Allow at least 3 full days to Cappadocia and min. 3 days to Istanbul would be my recommendation....
Happy travelling,
Murat
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 03:55 AM

We didn't find Istanbul senses-assaulting at all. It may have been the great tea. We were 4 days in Istanbul and 3 days in Cappadocia. That seemed about right.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 10:07 AM

I stayed in Istanbul a few days, went to Cappadocia a few days, then returned to Istanbul. When I returned, I felt more relaxed because I was more familiar with the city and had done all of the touristy things I wanted to do on the first stay. That left me free to just relax and enjoy the city.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 10:32 AM

Like it was said, you are comparing countryside with bustling city.

Part of this will depend on what your plans are for Cappadocia.
I would start with Istanbul and finish with Cappadocia.

We spent only 2 days in C., we could have used a couple more. Istanbul, about 4 days, more would have been nice.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 11:48 AM

thanks everyone! you might be around about my unfair assumptions of one country based on my experience in a completely different country. my apologies i guess i just don't want to repeat mistakes if i don't have to. we will be staying 3 full days in cappadocia and 3.5 days in istanbul. we'll also be staying 3 days in izmir/ephesus as well. our trip isn't 'til september. can't wait!!!