Istanbul hotel decision

Search

Istanbul hotel decision

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Istanbul hotel decision

Going in December. Trying to make a decision. Which hotel is the one for me? Fehmibey, Tashkonak, Niles, Dersaadet, Apricot(checking to see if internet accessible), Sari Konak (need to find out where the breakfast is served in winter-wish it were on the roof terrace)Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 08:06 PM

None of those bloody hotels are for you. You don't want to stay in horrid Sultanahmet with mall people from Michigan and fat German women with an absolutely criminal dress sense. You want to stay at the Ritz-Carlton or the Ciragan Palace near the Dolmabahce Palace.

Trust me.

The Great and Powerful Thingorjus
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. How do you know I am NOT a mall person from Michigan or if I have a criminal dress sense?
I have limited time (only 5 days)and thought it would be good to be near the sights.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 07:30 AM

I love Marginal's posts, and usually agree with the advice, but not this time! We were very happy with the location of our hotel in Sultanahmet at The Seven Hills Hotel in July. Most of the major sightseeing areas were within a few blocks of our hotel, as were several good restaurants. The only person we saw with criminal dress sense was my husband, who still wears his camp shirts from a sleepaway on the Pennsylvania border.

Anyway, of the hotels you mention, I'd check out Sari Konak, Dersaadet, and Apricot. I'd also suggest looking into Yesil Ev, which was just around the corner from our hotel. It has a lovely garden restaurant, and the rooms inside while small, were nicely decorated.

Why aren't I recommending The Seven Hills? We reserved two rooms there, which were gorgeous, one with a wraparound terrace, but both were filled with a slightly noxious odor coming from the upstairs restaurant that seemed to worsen over the week we were there. The hotel was quite apologetic, but never could resolve it during out stay, and other guests complained of the same problem.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 09:09 AM

I also disagree with the recommendation to avoid the Sultanahmet area. It is very convenient to many of the sights you'll want to visit.
On my first visit I stayed at the Mavi Ev (blue house) B&B, nice mid-range hotel with a lovely roof top restaurant. The second time we stayed at the Four Seasons, fabulous and worth the splurge.
Just for the record, I assure you I meet none of the 'criteria' mentioned in the previous post....
Enjoy Istanbul, it is a wonderful city.