UPSCALE HOTEL ISTANBUL

Search

UPSCALE HOTEL ISTANBUL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2007, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPSCALE HOTEL ISTANBUL

Can someone please recommend a really good hotel in Istanbul for a first visit? My sister's husband is from there and says Sultahnamet area is not good, yet Four seasons and Ritz Carlton are both in that area. He says Taksim area is good.Don't want to pay 5 star prices, but want some degree of luxury. Thanks
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 06:16 AM

I hate to disagree with your brother-in-law but I stayed at the Four Seasons and thought it was an excellent hotel in a great location in the Old City. I did not like the Taksim area at all. If you want to stay in the "new city" you might want to look in the Beyoglu area, not near Taksim Square but rather closer to the Pera Palace hotel area.

Your first decision really should be whether you want to stay in the old city or new city. There have been a few discussions of the pros and cons of both here so try to find them with a search. I stayed a few days at the Four Seasons before heading south on a car trip. When we returned to Istanbul I stayed in Beyoglu at the Marmara Pera. That location was fantastic for shopping but the hotel is more of a clean modern business type place rather than a luxury lodging so I am not sure it would fit your needs.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 07:23 AM

The Ritz-Carlton is nowhere near Sultanahmet. It is a short walk from the Dolmabahce Palace on the other side of the Golden Horn.

You could try the Hyatt, which is "up the hill" from the Ritz-Carlton.

Thin
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 08:08 AM

There is a long post by a person named ThinGorjus that I would recommend that you read when planning the trip. I am not sure if your brothr-in-law would approve but it is screamingly funny. Do a search on his name and you will find it..
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 08:12 AM

Never mind, I cannot find it because I have spelled his name wrong....worth searching for, though.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 08:15 AM

Isn't marginal_margiela in fact thingorjus?
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 08:20 AM

I thought Marginal was Miss Ziegfield! Hmmm. Anyway that Thingorjus post seems to have vanished.
Not sure it would have been all that helpful to the OP here but it was humorous!

KoreaPrincess...tell us what kind of prices are in your range...maybe that will get some more useful answers. The Four Seasons was about $400 US which is certainly very high. Marmara Pera cost me about $200 for a sea view room. It was certainly comfortable but not in the Four Seasons league.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 08:42 AM

Could you please post your budget? That will help in making suggestions. Also, what are your interests while in Istanbul? Do you prefer to be within walking distance of the major sights or in an area with very lively nightlife and shops?
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 09:40 AM

I am the great Thingorjus. I will look for my post and pull it up, if you wish.

I also used to be Balenciaga and Polly Magoo.

This what happens when you are banned 19 times and have to keep coming up with clever screen names.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Sorry to be so vague! Thanks eks for your reply. TG or Polly M. or whomever you are, I think you are hilarious and I just replied to your restaurant reviews. I think maybe price of $200-300 usd is a good budget. I think I would like old city and charming, vs. new modern (which unfortunately my sis might go for). I am well traveled, and my sister normally doesn't want to go anywhere. I begged her to take our mom to Europe for her 80th, she refused, and I had a fabulous time with mom. Mom recently passed away, and I think it shook my sister, and so she asked me to take her to Europe. We were doing Italy only, and then she decided she wanted to go to Istanbul to meet her husband's relatives. Though I've been to Turkey before, I've never been to Istanbul, so I'm excited. I am a shopper, she's not. I love gourmet food, she has never forgiven me for feeding her carpaccio! However, I think we'll both like the bazaar and museums, etc. I'm sure with the thousands of hotels in Istanbul, I'll find something we both like. At least I've now got a list of restaurants! Thanks all