HOTELS IN ISTANBUL

Search

HOTELS IN ISTANBUL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HOTELS IN ISTANBUL

Has anyone stayed at the new Central Palace Hotel in Istanbul and the the Marmara Hotel in Istanbul? If so, do you recommend it and what are your comments? Thanks.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 05:10 AM

Toby, I know the The Marmara Hotel, its very central at Taksim Square, upscale 5 star hotel.

Recommendation would vary depending on what you are looking for. This hotel has international standarts and one of the good ones at this category...
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 05:40 AM
hsv

I have not stayed at the Marmara, but know it since it is in one of the most prominent locations right on Taxim Square in Istanbul.
It claims to be 5 star, from my immpression (public areas only), it is rather 4 star.
If rates are about the same, I would prefer the Istanbul Hyatt, Istanbul Hilton and Ceylan Intercontinental over the Marmara.
Then there are the city's two top spots, the Kempinski Ciragan Palace and the Four Seasons (of all these mentioned only the Four Seasons is in Old Town on the other side of the Golden Horn, whereas the others all are in close proximity to Taxim Square, only the Kempinski being a bit further away down by the shore). The Marmara certainly does not play in the same league as the latter two.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 06:45 AM

Toby,
I would suggest you choose your hotel in relation to your 'affairs' in Istanbul. If it is tourism, then take a hotel on the historic peninsula, which is where you'll find Topkapi, Blue Mosque, Suleymaniye Mosque, Aya Sophia, the Bazar, the Spice or Egyptian bazar and so on.
If it is business, then maybe the Taksim region is better.
With some exageration as to the scale of the city and the distances, staying in Taksim for tourism is like visiting Manhattan and staying in New Jersey or Queens.
If you really want to feel how the Sultans lived, then go for Ciragan Palace. It's perfection.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 05:21 PM

We were in Istanbul July 2001 and just loved the place! The Marmara hotel was used by the Orient Cruise Line for their 'medium price hotel' We stayed in the 5* Swisshotel near Taksim Square and loved the location. There are many great places to walk around this area, 'tram street' as we called it, where there are shops and cafes etc along each side of the tram line and it was a wonderful area to wander. We also walked to the Grand Bazaar from here. The public transport is good and the taxis are cheap. People were very friendly on the whole, remember not to buy any water from the vendors on the street! It is a most exciting city! Have a great time.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 01:24 PM

DebM why ? remember not to buy any water from the vendors on the street!... did not get the point !

Glad to hear your other commnets,

Thanks
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 02:25 PM

So the story goes.... some vendors fill the water bottles themselves with 'tap' water and it is not the spring water as you would expect. So we didn't want to risk it so we bought all of our water from little supermarkets - cheaper that way too. While on the subject of food, well kind of, we had the BEST chicken kebab in the Grand Bazaar, cooked with a real charcoal grill - absolutely delish!! There were great little places to eat in the side streets - food was very enjoyable.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 06:56 PM

Agree w/ previous poster stay near where you want to be as the traffic is stupendous. Most sights, Topakapi, Blue Mosque, etc are in old city. We stayed at a hotel run by the Touring Club of Turkey, a beautiful group of toenhouses up against the walls of Topkapi. Best restaurant Pendeli upstairs in the Spice Bazaar.
AndrewDavid
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 07:58 AM

I hihly recommend the Marmara hotel and if you send me your dates I may be able to offer you better rates.
Nejat incedogan
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Hi Nejat:

I am planning to arrive mid June in Istanbul. What are the rates you have for the Marmara for a sea view room? Are you a travel agent located in Istanbul? Are you fomiliar with the new Central Palace Hotel? Regards.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 06:49 AM

I think I had replied you message under another heading for central hotel.
rgdfs
Nejat
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 04:51 AM

Derar Tobby

The central hotel is 150 Usd.
M armara is 180 Usd per twin

inclusive taxes and open buffedt American style.
regards
Nejat
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 05:25 PM

back from 5-day istanbul/3-day cappadocia trip.
stayed 3 nights in hotel seven hills (50 feet away from the four seasons) in sultanhamet. it was o.k. for the $100 price. location is excellent for sultanhamet visits (aya sofia, topaki palace, blue mosque, etc.). mind you being right behind the blue mosque and not so far from aya sofia, you should be heavier sleeper to escape the early morning prayer calls.

lavish ourselves 2 nights at ciragan palance (hotel kempinski). reputed to the best in istanbul. after staying, couldn't agree more. one of the best hotels i've ever been to. if you can afford it, get one of the river view rooms. "park view" isn't really a view of the park -- the park's elevated so even the top floor park view (only 5 floors) won't give you an aerial view of the park. plus, there's a busy road along the park view side. and so you'll hear the traffic inspite of the heavy glass doors.

tip: go to the website www.kempinski.com, get their web rates. call the hotel directly, get them to beat the web rate and skillfully negotiate some extras thrown in (i.e., breakfast).