Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Istanbul Hotel Choice Down to 2 - I need help!

Nov 7th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Hello Fellow Fedorites,

I am again planning a surprise trip for my wife and I (without the three kids) to Europe. Our honeymoon took us to France and to Italy and our 10-year anniversary trip took us to Spain and Portugal. Next year will be the 15th anniversary and we are going to Turkey and Greece. I want it to be as wonderful as the first two and have greatly benefited from this site for my planning.

I have our hotel choice in Istanbul down to two choices - the Hotel Sari Konak and the Dersaadet Hotel. These are currenlty rated #2 and #3 on TripAdvisor and so it is not like I am discovering hidden gems, but I fear that at times the "reviews" on that site can be fixed.

Any personal experiences at either of these hotels would be most helpful. As always, thanks!
Nov 7th, 2007, 04:16 PM

I walked past the Sari Konak when I was in Sultanahmet. It looked like a decent place.

I, The Great and Powerful Thingorjus, stayed at the Ritz-Carlton, which I highly recommend, sweetie darling. This hotel is near the Dolmahbache Palace on the Bosphorus.

I really don't care for Sultanahmet as I think it is very touristy and tres tacky.

Two other options in Sultanahmet are the Empress Zoe and the Yesil Ev, which has the most enchanting garden with fairy lights.

The Four Seasons is very elegante and in a prime location, just steps from the Hagia Sophia.

Have you read my trip report on Istanbul?

The Great and Powerful Thingorjus
Nov 7th, 2007, 04:38 PM

Our friends stayed at Sari Konak and liked it very much. We stayed at Empress Zoe and really liked the hotel and the location. Sultanahmet is very convenient to everything and IMHO is the most preferable location.

Make sure you have a drink on the roof of the Seven Hills Hotel where you have the most fabulous views and photo ops of the Hagia Sofia and the Blue Mosque.
Nov 7th, 2007, 06:54 PM

Try to have dinner at Yesil Ev. The restaurant is in the hotel's outdoor garden, and enchanting at night. Yesil Ev is very close to either of the hotels that you're considering.

We stayed at The Seven Hills, and while I can't recommend the hotel due to ongoing plumbing issues (!), the rooftop restaurant offers really spectacular views- esp. beautiful at dusk.
Nov 8th, 2007, 03:13 AM

To answer your question; Sari Konak would fit to your expectations. Dersaadet is also good option however my no:1 would be Sari Konak
Happy Travelling,
Murat
Nov 8th, 2007, 03:30 AM

What we liked best about the Sari Konak was, after a long hot day of sightseeing, relaxing on their roof top terrace with a half bottle of cold white wine and watching ships pass by on the sea of Marmara or the sun set behind the Blue Mosque.
Nov 15th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Eze

Was in Dersaadet end of last september for a 3 nights stay. We enjoyed it vm.
Boutique hotel at an affordable rate and a very very very warm and professional team. No negative point.
We shall return next spring on our way to Syria ! Looks like a BB with a small terrace on the roof overlooking Marmara and Asian coast. Really nice !