Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help! Istanbul Hotel choice- I'm confused!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2003, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So many wonderful choices. I understand that the Ciragan Palace is the ultimate Istanbul choice, especially if being out of the old city is not a problem for a visitor. I know there are 4 star chain hotels like the Intercontinental and the Hyatt as choices. Someone suggested the Eresin Crown Hotel and it looks great but seems to be in a different section of Istanbul than some of the previously mentioned hotels on some postings. We are 2 women, one cannot walk very far or long, on our first (and only?) 2 day trip to Istanbul.
As I always do in planning a trip, I am turning to Fodorites for guidance. We want to spend between $100 and $150 USD. Where should we stay?
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 08:51 PM

The hotels you mention are out of your price range. The less expensive rooms at the Cirigan Palace are a terrible disappointment, and not worth it.

Look at the websites for Mavi Ev, The Blue House Hotel.
http://www.bluehouse.com.tr/english/welcome.asp
. . . and Dersaadet Hotel
http://www.dersaadethotel.com/
Both of these are right in the heart of the city, and the rates are reasonable.

If you are not feeling particularly adventurous, however, the Park SA Hilton is your best bet. The location is perfect, and it has every amenity you could wish.
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 02:00 AM

Try the Yesil Ev - really the most beautiful in Sultanahmet. It may be just out of your price range, in which case you can try the Mavi Ev or the Ayasofya Pansiyonlari. These all have a great location, and lots of comfort. If one of you has a problem walking, you should really stay within 300 yards of the Ayasofia and take cabs anywhere else.
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 03:30 AM

The Celal Sultan is a friendly, secure hotel in the Sultanahmet area. It has a great view from the roof garden and in easy walking of Aya Sophia, the Bazaar, etc. We stayed there five days (May).
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 05:44 PM

My favorite "charming"/boutique hotel in Istanbul is the Valide Sultan (www.hotelvalidesultan.com/) just outside the gates of the Topkapi Palace in Sultanahmet (the "old city".) It has only 16 beautiful rooms w/TV, private baths, minibars, elevator, rooftop restaurant with indoor and outside terrace with views of Aya Sofia and the Sea of Marmara and Bosphorus, and the staff is FABULOUS--a family-owned and run place. Only about $70-$80/night for double in summer if you pay cash. Only 3 blocks from the Aya Sofia/Blue Mosque garden, Arasta Bazaar, tram line, etc. Tell them "Cheri" sent you.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 12:00 AM

Hi Bonlou,

Eresin Crown is at the Sultanahmet area. Their other hotel is far away at Topkapi and the hotel is also named Eresin Topkapi....

Crown is a de lux hotel and if you are able to get good rate within your budget I would say do not look any further. Otherwise hotels mentioned here are good choices and will make you happy to stay with them.
Have a wonderful time in Turkey