Apartments In Rome

Sep 8th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Buzzy

Apartments In Rome

Apart from Venere cna anyone suggest a reputable agency for booking apartments in Rome? I have been reading some reviews of apartments and some people have made some very negative comments about being relocated on arrival or not met at the appartment etc. I was wondering if there were any agencies that people have found that seem to me more professional. Thanks

Sep 8th, 2007, 01:28 PM

hi, we had an excellent experience with Roman Reference www.romanreference.com
Sep 8th, 2007, 01:33 PM
J62

www.slowtrav.com has a lot of reviews and links. It's a great place to look for apartments all over.
Sep 8th, 2007, 02:48 PM

Hi Buzzy. I agree about the negatives for the agencies. I decided to steer clear of them. For my research, I used Fodors.com, Rick Steves.com, venere.com, tripadvisor.com, & slowtrav.com. So, for our Nov '07 trip, I think (hope) I found some good ones.

1. residencebarberini.com - this is the one we selected for our trip because we like to stay in different areas for each trip - this is near Via Veneto. There is a front desk staff, which is nice. Good photos on tripadvisor.

2. dolceroma.com - private owner with several apartments thruout the city. They get great reviews. Prices are good. We plan to stay in the larger Colloseo area apt. next year; was booked for this year's trip.

3. navonasuitesrome.com - stayed there last year. Can't beat the location; furnishings spartan, phone requires pre-pay, 2nd bed area in foyer and/or kitchen, owners very nice, very clean, daily cleaning including dishes, next to numerous bus stops, great ancient tiny street.

4. residenzagiubbonari.com - campo dei fiori; good reviews; only complaint was floor had dark dust layer (possibly from local pollution thru open windows since rest of apt. very clean?).

5. Domus International - their email to me had 3 website addresses - www.domusintl.com, www.rome-apartments.it, www.domusinternational.eu; this is a small agency with limited # of apts., but found great reviews on it unlike the other agencies. We will probably try them for one trip.

Due to my micro-managing our lodging, I think I checked every hotel & apartment (over 50!). The above are the best I found. Hope the info is helpful.

Have a great trip, Julie
Sep 8th, 2007, 07:00 PM

bookmaking.
Sep 8th, 2007, 07:22 PM

Any apartment experience is only going to be as good as the owner or the representative who is going to meet you. While Julie has done good homework (although I'm confused by the 50 comment, many of us have checked hundreds), it's worth noting that many of those same apartments may also be listed with agencies. So if that same owner is meeting you, it really makes no difference.

I've rented twice from SleepsinItaly, and in both cases I was delighted with the service. Although I found my last apartment there, it can actually be booked directly with the owner -- who is the one who met me.

And about being relocated, I'm not making excuses for anyone, but it can happen to anyone. Rent from the most wonderful owner and if a pipe breaks the day before you arrive -- what's going to happen?
Sep 8th, 2007, 07:27 PM

I agree with Patrick. When you rent an apartment, there is never a guarantee that something won't happen (as he mentions, a broken pipe or something else that can't be fixed in two minutes), and if that happens, they will have to move you. I have just booked an apartment through sleepintaly for the 4th time and have had great service from them and never any problems.
Sep 8th, 2007, 07:43 PM

I don't doubt that the "broken pipe" scenario does happen, but what is the probablility that it happens time and again??? I can't count the times that I have read in Slow trav and other forums people( diffrent people, different locations) complaining that they got to Italy to be told that the day before " "a pipe had broken" in the apt. they had reserved. Wow! That must be a contagious disease in Italy. Sorry, those stories do make me very leery of renting. When everything works out, great , but when it doesn't they already have your money.
Sep 8th, 2007, 07:50 PM

Well, with sleepintaly, they do have a deposit (I think 10%?), but you pay the rest in cash when you arrive.
Sep 9th, 2007, 02:56 AM

hi, Buzzy,

we used www.romeaccom.com. we paid a ?30% deposit up front and the rest in cash on arrival, so if there'd been a leaky pipe, etc., w could have refued to pay til it was fixed.

in fact, the owner's daughter who greeted us could not have been nicer, the apartment was exactly the same as on the photos on the web-site, and everything was great.

this was a replacement apartment for the one we'd originally booked as the owner had withdrawn it due to family problems. the agency offered us one replacement that we didn't like, and then the one was stayed at, which we did. they were very helpful and professional. I'd use them again.

regards, ann
Sep 9th, 2007, 02:57 AM
Buzzy

Thanks for your replies. I am working my way through all the info. Thank you so much for typing all this info in. It really is so useful to all of us in the Fodors community.

Sep 9th, 2007, 03:33 AM
Buzzy

Anyone tried this agency Romecityapartments.com??

Sep 9th, 2007, 03:55 AM

We had a very good experience with realrome.com. the apartments are a little more basic (and therefore less expensive) than those offered by some of the other agencies.
Sep 9th, 2007, 05:22 AM

My review on a Roma Apt. thru Sleep in Italy

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/vr/review.asp?n=2988
Sep 9th, 2007, 05:47 AM

Someone above asked "how often can a pipe break? How many 200 and 300 year old buildings have you lived it? Oddly enough during our last stay in Rome, there was some major confusion upstairs one day. It seems a pipe did break -- but fortunately it did not affect our apartment. That did serve as a reminder however, that in these old buildings anything can happen.

By the way this is the apartment we LOVED next to the Pantheon, this summer:

www.sleepinitaly.com/files/apt_minerva.html
Sep 9th, 2007, 09:09 AM

It seems to be that the term 'broken pipe' is loosely applied to any sort of plumbing problem.

Last year both NeoPatrick and I stayed in the same apartment booked through sleepinitaly, though obviously not at the same time, before anyone wonders!

http://www.sleepinitaly.com/files/apt_rondanini.html

We both had minor problems with the plumbing while we there, and were told it is because the pipes in these old buildings are indeed old, and because these buildings are built above ancient Rome (this particular apartment was above Nero's baths), the drainage is not always what it should be. The trouble I had was the toilet not filling after flushing, and when I twiddled with the valve it wouldn't stop filling! There was also an 'aroma' arising from the shower drain... Sleepinitaly had it fixed promptly while we were out for the day.

Another poster here had booked this apartment a couple of weeks before me, and was shunted off into inferior accommodation because a pipe had broken, or so we were told when we arrived and asked about the plumbing.

I know of someone else who stayed there after me, and they had no problems.

So I would recommend sleepinitaly because I had a good experience with them and found them very helpful to deal with. When an apartment I was interested in wasn't available, I emailed them with my requirements, and they sent me a list of all available apartments for my dates, which made things much easier as I wasn't getting excited about apartments which were already booked.

An English couple who rent what look to be lovely apartments in Rome - having spoken to them I will certainly consider renting from them in the future - is...

http://www.aplaceinrome.com/index.shtml

Sep 9th, 2007, 09:17 AM

I found there to be quite few apartments available on vrbo.com. Most arent through an agency but as everyone has said the apartment will only be as good as its owner.
I rented through vaticansunshine.it and leave next week. Communication with the owner has been great. Will see when I get there!
Sep 9th, 2007, 09:27 AM

Patrick, do you think that apt Minerva would be comfortable for a family of 4? It seems they must have a sofa bed, or bring in cots. It doesn't seem to say on the website, as far as i could tell.

thanks,
dina
Sep 9th, 2007, 09:36 AM

It says for 3 to 4. Someone else asked me that, and I had to admit that I never noticed if the living room sofa was a sofa bed -- I'm guessing it is.

It is quite spacious, and one good thing is that you don't go through the bedroom to get to the bathroom.

By the way, sleepinitaly couldn't confirm that there was a separate shower and when I questioned them I got the story that many apartments have only hand held showers in tubs and no shower curtains in Italy -- something that I knew. But someone here reported that there was a separate shower, and indeed there is -- a fairly roomy one by European standards in fact, so we never used that big tub or its hand held shower.

By the way, to rent that apartment direct or to ask any specific questions you can contact the owner:

[email protected]