Reload this Page >

Island Travel Methods

Search

Island Travel Methods

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:44 AM
Buffy

Island Travel Methods

What is the preferred method to travel from Athens to Mykanos, Mykanos to Santorini and Santorini to Athens? I'm comparing air travel vs. Hydrofoil and not sure which to do. Please let me know your thoughts and prefered company.<BR>Thanks!

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 02:10 PM
Sue

I've never done a hydrofoil, but have traveled by ferry and plane among the islands. If you've never been on one of those huge ferries, it is an experience and worth doing; however, it is time consuming. I'd recommend ferrying to Mykonos, then on to Santorini(arriving in Santorini by ferry is a sight to behold!!--breathtakingly beautiful!), and would fly back from Santorini to Athens. The hydrofoils are much faster than ferries, altho they are bumpier, and you are more or less confined to your seat, which was described to me as comparable to a movie theater seat. On the ferries you are free to walk all over the place, etc. <BR>Just my thoughts on it!<BR>

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 06:17 PM
bamboo

I traveled Athens to Mykonos via regular ferry, then hydrofoil from Mykonos to Santorini, then flew from Santorini to Athens. I recommend doing it that way because:<BR>1) ferry is slower but cheaper, so for short distances it was fine (be sure to get near the front of the line to get good seats - everyone scrambles to get a seat, esp ones w/a table), <BR>2) hydrofoil is faster and i found it smoother (it felt like we were flying across the top of the water) and cleaner, and the seats are much roomier and comfy, but it's more expensive than the ferry, so it is good for longer distances (so as to reduce the long travel time),<BR>3) flying is good for very far distances (santorini and athens is very far - we felt we'd be wasting too much time if we traveled by boat).

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 12:37 AM
Jean

What wld be the recommended mode of transportation from Santorini to Nafplio? Thnaks!

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 05:30 PM
bamboo

Jean, I'm not familiar with that island. I would compare prices and travel times for ferry, hydrofoil, and plane, then see which is most worth it. (Some people are more willing to pay more for faster travel, some are not. Some may want to experience both the ferry and the hydrofoil for variety. Etc, etc. You might also want to consider proximity of the harbor/airport from your hotel, to factor in any costs for transfers. Time schedules may play a role in your decision (do you need to leave in the morning, etc.))

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Jean

Currently, I've booked a return airticket from/to Athens. I thought the quickest way wld be to fly back to Athens and then take the bus to Nafplio, but am now wondering if I'm making a big loop and if there's a direct ferry (fast!) to Nafplio from Santorini. I'll be staying in Oia btw.My departure/arrival time is flexible, but I wld like to reach Nafplio by mid-day and see a bit of the town before it gets dark.

Old May 15th, 2002, 06:11 PM
Dee

How long is the ride by ferry (or hydrofoil) from Santorini to Athens?

Old May 16th, 2002, 07:06 AM
walt

http://www.gtp.gr/RoutesResults.asp?SchDay=0&SchMonth=0&SchYear=2002 &CompanyID=0,2&SortType=1,2&AroundDate=0&Origin=EG RSKY22SATJTR,59863,8&Destination=EGR1AP70PIRTZE,16 6,8<BR><BR>This link will take you to Santorini to Piraeus ferries. It looks like a 6 hour plus trip.<BR><BR>Try another page http://www.gtp.gr/RoutesForm.asp<BR><BR>on the same site to check out different destinations from Santorini. This is a great resource for ferries and hydrofoils in Greece.