Mykonos to Santorini - ferry or plane?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First trip to Greece next summer: Would it be best to take the ferry from Mykonos to Santorini, or take a flight? I know it would be faster to fly but I'm a little nervous about small planes ... are they all "puddle jumper" type planes or are there large planes that go between islands?

Thanks!
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 03:10 PM

Hi,
I would take a ferry. When you fly from island to island, you have to fly first to Athens and then to the other island. If you do not get a deal on the plane fare, the money for the flights adds up.

Enjoy, Yipper
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 03:25 PM

Hi shortcake

This past summer there was one airline flying directly between Mykonos and Santorini. They used a very small plane i.e. an 18 seater.

The airline's website is:

http://www.skyexpress.gr/

As yipper has mentioned, the only other way to fly between the islands is via Athens. Olympic tend to use 42 or 72 seaters from Mykonos to Athens both turbo prop. Aegean in 2007 began using 737 jets on the same route.

By sea this summer, Hellenic Seaways operated the only direct Mykonos to Santorini service using one of their large high-speed catamarans. Hopefully they will continue with the service in 2008.

You can read the details here:

http://www.hellenicseaways.gr/index.asp?a_id=209

bill
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 03:49 PM

It's been many years but I took a ferry (not the fast one) from mykonos to santorini. I recall It was a looooooong ride, check the time. Many people were seasick, the bathrooms were ill equipped for so many ill....I'll let your imagination do the rest...The little planes are not as scary as that scene. I plan to make the trip again one day....by plane.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 07:21 PM

Jade, please say how many years it has been. Ferries may have been much smaller then..

Todays "Regular" ferries hold about 1000 - 2000 passengers -- they are like small liners. And summer is the calmest time of the year for ferry rides. In May & June and September over the past 8 years I have taken 7 extended trips to Greece, probably at least 40 ferries -- to Crete, Cyclades, Dodecanese, and in today's ferries, in summer, nothing likee you describe.

Before you spread a scare story like that, tell us what the year was, and the size of that unfortunate ferry. I'll bet it was something like than rusty tinpot Skopelitis (50 passengers) that goes to the Lesser cyclades.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. I think I might go for the high speed ferry then, because an 18 seat plane freaks me out - lol!
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 12:11 PM

FYI-The ONLY direct ferry between Santorini and Mykonos is the Hellenic Seaways Highspeed passenger-only catamaran, the Flying Cat #4. It's been many years since any 'regular' car ferry ran on that route. You can, however, catch a large car ferry (such as was described by travelerjan-Blue Star Ferry Co.) from Santorini to either Naxos or Paros where you can then switch to another ferry the rest of the way to Mykonos.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

I am guessing it's too early to book the ferry for next June? I went on the Hellenic Seaways website and entered my dates, and it said no departures available.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 07:52 AM

Take the ferry, but take the plane from Santorini to Athens. That is a long ride and it will be a bigger plane.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 08:43 AM

Yes, it's too early to book the ferry for next June. The schedules for next year aren't even fixed yet. Also, it's not necessary to book in advance for June, the ferries aren't full then. Wait until you're on Santorini and go into a travel agency there to buy your ticket a day or two in advance of your departure. That's all that's necessary.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Great - that makes me feel better. thanks!!
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 09:13 PM

Take the ferry. It's quicker than flying back to Athens. However, it's sort of like getting on a cattle car. you have to handle your own luggage and it gets wild as everyone tries to board. I did this a few weeks ago--takes about 3 hours. It's quite an adventure and a great way to arrive in Santorini. It's a beautiful island.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 10:02 PM

It's true, it can get a little chaotic at boarding time, but the nice thing about the Flying Cat #4 is that the seats are all assigned, so there's no problem finding one.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 12:13 PM

Shortcake, I agree that now is way too early (in fact impossible) to book a ferry for next June. I never book ferries in advance, just buy my ticket the day before, or a few days before in the case of highspeeds. I have heard of FlyingCat 4 occasionally being full even outside high season though. FlyingCat 4 is the only direct ferry connection between Mykonos and Santorini, so you may want to consider booking tickets as soon as you arrive in Greece, or even beforehand if you have firm hotel reservations.

For planning purposes, FlyingCat 4 has a no sailing day about every other Wednesday. You won't know which Wednesdays until their 2008 timetable is published early next spring, so bear that in mind when planning your transfer from Mykonos to Santorini.

Another thing to be aware of is June 14-16, 2008 is Pentacost weekend, when it is likely to be very busy on Mykonos. Ferries and planes will also be busy, to the islands at the beginning of the weekend, and back to the mainland on Monday.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 02:24 PM

Besides the no sailing every other Wednesday, does the FlyingCat 4 sail every day? I don't want to book hotels on Mykonos and Santorini with the risk that I cannot get from one island to the other on that particular day.
Thanks!
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 03:48 PM

I would definitely plan on taking some Dramamine or other anti-nausea pills with you if you are prone to sea sickness. I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but we had a very rough ride two years ago ( mid July) on the Flying Cat between Santorini and Mykonos.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 07:00 PM

MandR-

Other than the Wednesdays Heimdall has mentioned, the FlyingCat #4 sails every day between March 30 and October 31. Have a look at this website:

http://www.ferries.gr/hfd/

Directly under the Arrivals and Departures you'll see the "No Sailing" dates for 2007. When this schedule is updated for 2008 you'll see those "No Sailing" dates as well. The update won't be available until probably January or February, but keep checking. They WILL show up eventually.

In an earlier post I mentioned that you do have alternative routes for getting between Santorini and Mykonos by first going to Naxos or Paros, so regardless of space available on the FC#4 you can make your hotel reservations with confidence.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 09:52 PM

I should amend my statement about when the FC4 sails by saying that when there are national holidays, such as Greek Easter, it's likely that no ferries will be running.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 12:04 AM

The national holidays in 2008 you would be concerned with are: Easter - Apr 27, Labor Day - May 1, Pentacost - Jun 15, and Assumption Day - Aug 15. Easter includes Good Friday and Easter Monday, and Pentacost includes Holy Spirit Day, the Monday following Pentacost.

I don't know whether brotherleelove is correct that ferries are cancelled on those days, but ferries are very busy on the weekends around them, so advance booking is advised.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 12:16 AM

I should have said the 'days around holiday weekends'. For instance, on Pentacost weekend the ferries leaving Piraeus and Rafina will be very busy on the Friday, and those returning to the mainland very busy at the end of the weekend. This affects primarily islands within easy reach of Athens, eg Mykonos, Paros, Sifnos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -