Search

Ischia to Amalfi

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ischia to Amalfi

Hi

does anyone know if there is a direct way to get from Ischia to Amalfi without having to go back through Naples.
thanks

Theresa
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 11:53 AM

There could be direct Ischia-Amalfi boats but a sure way not to have to go back thru Naples would be to take the Ischia boats to Sorrento then hop a boat or a bus back along the Amalfi Coast.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Neopolitan

When we were in Ischia I asked everywhere this same question. Everyone said the same thing -- you have to go back to either Sorrento or Naples.
But I kept seeing day excursion boats in Ischia that went to Positano and Amalfi for the day. I stopped and talked with the salesperson for two of them and got the same reply. Sure. We could pay them a small fare and take the boat direct to either Positano or Amalfi and we could even take our luggage. I forget what we paid but it wasn't much.
The only problem was they weren't sure due to the weather if we would stop first at Positano or Amalfi. We ended up stopping at Positano first for about 2 hours. We left our luggage on the boat, had a nice lunch in Positano, then joined the boat again to go to Amalfi.

Old Sep 15th, 2006, 12:06 AM

<font color="BLUE">WWW.ischiaonline.com is very useful<font color="BLUE"></font></font>
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 01:16 AM

Hi Theresa - The company to contact is Capitan Morgan - which runs tour boats to Positano/Amalfi 3/4 days per week.

See their website for details:

http://www.capitanmorgan.it/index.php

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 04:43 AM
Neopolitan

Gerado, Ischiaonline is indeed very useful, but did you mean regarding this issue? There is nothing there about transport between Ischia and Amalfi that I'm aware of.

I don't believe Captain Morgan is the firm we took, but I could be wrong about that.

Old Sep 15th, 2006, 07:28 AM

Patrick - I believe Alilauro also run Ischia-Positano/Amalfi in high season - but their website says this service is now suspended.

They are still running the Ischia-Sorrento service.

http://www.lauroshipping.it/orari.htm

Steve
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

thanks all. Unfortunately, there are none of those day trips running so we will be going to naplea and amalfi from there.

theresa
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 12:43 PM

I have always gone to Ischia from Sorrento via ferry boat and it has never stopped in Naples.

Alternatively, there is a nice &quot;Green Mini Cruise&quot; offered through Sorrento Tours ([email protected]) that cost ~25 euros for a complete day of cruising from Sorrento to the islands of Ischia and Procida. Meals are also served on the boat (addtl fee). They also included a tour of Ischia all around the island on an air-conditioned bus that stopped in a local winery ristorante for lunch/snack too, ending at Sant'Angelo. I did that last summer and had a great time (and a great deal for a full day 8-6 pm).
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Neopolitan

Actually the boat we took was one of a number of &quot;mom and pop&quot; type operations doing day trips. It was not a regular bigger company like Alilauro. I would doubt very much that they would even have a website. They sold their tickets from a makeshift sort of stand along the docks -- there are a number of them.

Old Sep 16th, 2006, 12:41 AM

Theresa - Are you planning a day-trip - returning to Ischia - or just one way?

If just one way, the Ischia-Sorrento Alilauro hydrofoil looks your quickest bet (- dep: 17.20).

http://www.ischiaonline.it/page.php?...amp;sez=MOVIME

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 03:05 PM

We head to Ischia on Sunday, and I am also hoping to find a way from Ischia to Amalfi for a day trip only. If anyone else has more info, I would greatly appreciate it! (how long should it take? is there a bus that we could get to take us along the coast or since it is only a day trip, should we just enjoy time in Positano? any recommendations for great (and not the run-of-the-mill ceramics shopping in Positano?)
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 05:22 AM

Hi Crzy - I was in Ischia last September and the Capitan Morgan cruise to Positano/Amalfi was running 3/4 days per week. There may be others (- which you will see advertised locally).

I think that will be your best option. (The alternative is via Capri or Naples - more expensive and time-consuming ...)

For days of operation see their website:
http://www.capitanmorgan.it/index.php

I believe they usually go to both Positano and Amalfi. So you could probably get off at one, take the coastal bus and re-join the boat at the other, by arrangement.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 05:59 AM

Another firm running excursions from Ischia is www.rumoremarittima.it - if there aren't any trips to Amalfi, there should be trips to Capri from where other boats go to Amalfi. If you go via Capri, there is a left luggage office by the harbour. All trips in the area are dependent on the weather, so you should also have an alternative in mind in case excursion boats and fast craft are cancelled; bigger car ferries are almost always able to sail.