Is Vienna a GO or PASS??!

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 03:33 PM
lee

Is Vienna a GO or PASS??!

I have already planned a trip to France and Italy and was thinking of adding Vienna for 4 days but it seems that many people think of it as boring. IS that true?

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 04:10 PM
Michael

That depends on your tastes. Vienna has many interesting museums, interesting architecture, nice surroundings. Does that sound boring?

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Bob Brown

How is your taste in music? There are probably more talented muscians per square kilometer than many other cities. I enjoy Vienna for that reason.
I know I can stir up an argument with this comment: Vienna lacks the pizazz of Paris, but it I find it to be a much more orderly place, and full of the history of the Hapsburg Monarchy.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 05:40 PM
ttt

It's a GO!!!

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 02:32 PM
Krista

Absolute GO!!!! Would move to Vienna in a heart beat. There is a wonderful mix of old (classical music, the Vienna Riding School, the Boys choir) with the modern (T.G.I. Fridays), it'll win your heart. As for lacking the pizazz of Paris...yes, Vienna was much quietier than Paris but no pizazz...you obviously didn't go to any of the Salsa clubs with locals. Vienna was a very comforting city.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 02:46 PM
Snoopy

"Travel" and "boring" are mutually exclusive with me. However . . . some cities / places are more exciting than others. I've been to Vienna twice, the first time in mid-January and it was snowing and fun and Schoenbrun Palace was interesting. The second time was in the summer and it was crowded and St Stephen's Cathedral was croweded and extremely pigeon poop covered . . .

I'd give Vienna a "thumbs sideways".

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 02:51 PM
Coachboy

I'd rather go to Vienna than Paris, so I guess I'm in the minority.

The food is great, coffee house culture unique and wonderful, great, UNCROWDED museums, history, music etc...

It's also relatively small and easy to navigate.

CoachBoy

PS. I do speak German...maybe one reason I prefer it to Paris.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 03:47 PM
bettyk

I'm with Coachboy. I much prefer Vienna to many of the larger cities in Europe. As with anyplace, it certainly helps you appreciate the city if you know a little about the history of the Austrian Empire and its culture. Vienna has many facets (music, theater, architecture, etc.) but 4 days should give you a good overview. I would also suggest that you take the tram out to Grinzing or one of the other nearby wine growing areas, and visit a heuriger.

If you take the time to get to know her, Vienna is a fascinating city.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 04:28 PM
Rebecka

Yes, Vienna might be boring if you don't like humdrum things like classical music, architecture, history, art and delectable sweets of various kinds. ;-)

If you do go, make sure to try out some the charming cafes, such as the famous Demel's, and maybe a heuriger or two. For music lovers there is, of course, the Opera House and the composer museums of such immortals as Mozart (Figaro House) and Strauss Jr. And don't miss Schonbrunn Castle or the Hofburg. The Imperial Crypt is also a fascinating visit with a dozen or so Habsburg emperors and empresses entombed in what often looks like giant soup tureens. And there is, of course, so much more to see.

Add me to the small list of those who prefer Vienna over Paris, which was often terribly expensive and none too friendly to this solo traveler.

Yes, lee, Vienna is a definite GO!

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 04:47 PM
kam

I'm the minority, but I found something lacking in Vienna. Also found it extremely organized with many "rules". I love the chaos of Rome or Paris, but that's just me.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 05:52 PM
Ann

I didn't give Vienna the time it deserved. Didn't realize how large of a city it was and only was there for 2 days. Now I want to go back! It is confusing at first (at least to me) but seems like a wonderful city.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 10:46 AM
CharlieB

Recently returned from a suprise anniversary trip to Vienna. It is my wife's favorite city. My second - after St. Petersburg. Vienna is much less crowded in the summer than Florence, Rome or Paris and much less pidgeon-poop than Venice or Trafalger Square. A definite GO - Hope you enjoy it as much as my wife and I.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 01:30 PM
Keith

I spent 3 days in Vienna a few years ago. Would have liked to have been there a cuople of days longer.

Keith

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 01:38 PM
rick

I went this summer and loved it. Three full days was a must. The parks and gardens were great along with the palaces. Less crowded than I imagined and easy to walk everywhere. Great beer was a plus.