Is the Marais closed on Saturdays?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in Paris on a Saturday in May and wanted to stay in the Marais to shop, walk, eat, etc. But I just read an article saying most restaurants and shops in the Marais are closed on Saturday. Is that true? If so, what neighborhood would be the best back-up plan?
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 01:01 PM

It was overly crowded on the Sat when we were there in late Sept of '06. Shops were open. Shops are also open on Sunday and the streets were overcrowded then also.

Perhaps the Jewsih owned shops are closed on Sat - but it sure didn't seem like many shops were closed - if any.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 01:50 PM

It's not true at all as far as I've noticed, at least not for shops in terms of it being pervasive. I'm sure there may be some that are closed on Saturday, but many are not. Quite a few restaurants are closed throughout Paris on Saturdays for lunch, that's pretty common, so that might be possible that some are closed there. Those are regular restaurants who may have a lot of clientele from business, for example. The Marais is a Parisian neighborhood, it's not synonymous with a Jewish quarter, although there may be some Jewish delis and restaurants in a part of it.

There is one shop I know that is closed on Sat and it has nothing to do with being Jewish -- I think it's because they are required to close one day, and they chose that day for some reason. Other shops are closed on Monday.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 02:16 PM
ira

Hi H,

>Is the Marais closed on Saturdays?

Only the Orthodox Jewish parts.

Old Jan 29th, 2008, 10:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Rue des Rosiers used to be completely dead on Saturday, but commerce finally conquered religion.