On a Sunday in Paris

Jan 15th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

On a Sunday in Paris

What can we do on a Sunday in Paris? Are all stores always closed? As well as museums? Is there anything else to do other than people watch?
Jan 15th, 2005, 03:52 PM

no, all stores are not closed -- mainly the large dept. stores, and possibly some food supermarkets. Of course there are some smaller shops that will close that day, but I don't think that should be of major importance. No, museums are not closed, that's a big day for people to visit museums.

I don't think of Sunday as limiting activities in any way except shopping in dept stores and some restaurants are not open, but that's not a major problem in the central area.
Jan 15th, 2005, 07:18 PM

I had a fantastic Sunday morning on January 2nd. The Musee d' Orsay, Musee Rodin, and Invalides were all open. And I was lucky that it was the first Sunday of the new month: got in for free at both the Orsay and the Rodin. Invalides there are no free Sundays.

Also for shops check the shops under the Louvre. It's called the Carousel du Louvre. The souvenir shops across from the Louvre on rue de Rivoli are always open too.
Jan 15th, 2005, 11:55 PM

The Marais is very busy on Sundays, and all the shops in the area are open. The Marché Biologique (organic farmers market) on boulevard Raspail is fun on Sunday mornings, and of course all the museums are open.
Jan 16th, 2005, 12:41 AM

if you fancy parrots and other pets have a look at thr bird market on ile de la cite,sundays mornings only.we also saw a brides and groom in front of notre dame that morning.to my knowledge all museums are open
Jan 16th, 2005, 03:20 AM

Lots to do on Sunday; visit Rodin museum, d'orsay, Louvre, Picasso, Versailles and strolling around St Germain des Pres.

Le Marais can be too crowded on a Sunday, people jostling each other on the sidewalk and trying to share room with the cars. Not ideal for a leisurely time.

Jan 16th, 2005, 03:59 AM

nice to go to Place Monge market and then down Rue Mouffetard. lots of musicians. great fun.
Jan 16th, 2005, 04:53 AM
ira

Dear JC,

You have answers to your first posting at http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34552858

To find all of your posts, click on your name.

Jan 16th, 2005, 05:12 AM

Skaf "stole" my idea. Pl. Monge market on Sunday is our favorite. And everything is pretty open. You may have to search out a place for dinner--and you might make a reservation the day before for that.
Jan 16th, 2005, 06:01 AM

I have walked through the city up to Sacre Couer. Its a peaceful walk (though long and sometimes uphill) you really can see Paris. Also, another favorite is to walk to Marais and see all the sites. Great Middle Eastern places to eat. Then walk over to Place de Vosage (nearby) to hear the musicians playing. It;s like hearing a concert. My sister enjoyed that also when I took her. Then there are the museums. They are free the 1st Sunday of each month. Walk through Jardin de Luxembourg or else Tuillerries Gardens.
Jan 16th, 2005, 06:14 AM

How about sight seeing such as eiffel tower, invalides, arc de triumph etc.?
Isn't it better to do sight seeing on sunday than a week day because of no crowds in train etc?
Jan 16th, 2005, 06:22 AM

I believe the museums are open Sunday, shorter hours, and closed on various weekdays. On the first Sunday of the month, free entry is at D'Orsay and the Louvre- use that Carousel entrance mentioned to avoid long lines, it is around the side. And you will walk past the shops and end up at the open area around the inverted glass pyramid. Each time, I have only waited maybe 5 minutes.
Since Rodin is much easier to cover in one day, I would not use a free Sunday admission there. By the way, entrance to the Rodin sculpture gardens only is 1 euro. That and lunch at their marvelous cafe is a very worthwhile repasse.

Search this Thread