Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is Siena a nightmare before Il Palio (the horse race)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving for London in 2 weeks and then heading for Italy on August 8th--so I need help confirming our plans (it's so soon).

August 8th until the 12th: Our plan is to go to the Italian Countryside Hotel Sette Querce in San Casciano dei Bagni. The NY Times and CN Traveler gave it wonderful reviews.

August 12th until the 15th: Our plan is to visit Siena. We are a little nervous about traffic and people becuase of the timing. The race is on August 16th. Should we go here first?

August 15th until the 19th: We are planning to stay somewhere in Florence. We're not sure where yet.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 07:00 AM

It's been quite a few years since we went to the Palio, but my experience was that, yes, the town is a bit of a zoo in the days preceding the race, especially the day before when they run the practice races. It takes a few days to get the Campo set up (they have to haul in dirt to make the track, etc.), and the vehicular and pedestrian traffic is pretty intense.

The race itself is worth it, though. Fabulous experience!
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 07:45 AM

It will be a zoo. I would consider public transport into Siena.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 08:04 AM

IMHO the days preceding the Palio are
the most charming - wandering through
the backstreets watching the different
districts set up for their big dinners
is very interesting. The banners are
wonderful and you really get into a
medieval mood (well, sorta).

As for the traffic in Siena it's always
a zoo trying to park anywhere near the
town so just accept that as part of the
package.

As for the heat...........
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. It sounds like quite an experience. If we can actually get a room for the 16th we might do it. Everywhere is totally booked and we could only get something for the 15th. Does anyone know if Palazzo Ravizza is close to Il Palio?
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 08:47 AM

Hi -

We were just in Siena on 7/1, the day before the 7/2 race. We had no problem driving right to the southern porta (Santa Caterina parking) and walking up to the city. It was slightly crowded but wonderful, the Campo was all prepared for the next day's race!.

Go, and enjoy! Have fun!

John
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 09:04 AM

We were in Siena the day before the Palio in July (July 2?). We didn't even realize it was going to be the next day, although we did see all the different flags up everywhere. It wasn't incredibly crowded, in my opinion, at least not as crowded as San G was on the same day.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 09:17 AM

Jun04,

We were there the same day last....funy we didn't see you.

I highly reccomend going. We really felt a part of the event.

My wife bought a scarf with a contrada's (neighborhood) colors). In my primitive Italian, we asked the shopkeeper to point out the location of "our" contrada on a map.

We headed for our contrada and joined right. We took part in a rally...watched the"locals" march into the square (loudly singing)as they headed to find out which horse would be theirs in the Palio.

WE really felt a part of the energy and excitement byt "attaching " ourselves to a contrada.

THis is a pic of some of the people as they march towards ths square.
http://www.pbase.com/image/22802886
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 03:14 PM

Was in Siena for the August Palio last year. One of a kind experience. Stayed at Palazzo Ravizza which is inside the walls and a very short walk from the campo. Wonderful hotel. If you want a rather detailed description of the Palio (I was only there that day and night) search for my trip report.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Palazzo Ravizza is where we were thinking of staying. Did you love it? Does anyone have places they loved in Siena?
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 01:08 PM

We will be in FLorence from 8/15-8/18 this year. I looked at getting tickets for a viewing place (do not want to be in the middle of it all with all the crowds and heat). All sold out.
But our hotel said they can get us tickets to view it.
Is it too crazy to go for the day?? We get to Florence at 1130 on the 15th. Will do Museums on the 17th. FLight out of FLorence on the 18th at 7am....
So the 16th is the day to wander around Florence.........or got to Palio.
Would we take a train or a bus?

Old Aug 4th, 2004, 03:29 PM

We visited Siena the day before the Palio and the day after.The day prior was fun crazy, the day after was really great .The front page of all the newspapers gets plastered up everywhere !And the winning horse is paraded throught the streets with people from the winning contrada all dressed up.The year we saw this (2003) many of the marchers in the parade had baby pacifiers hanging on their necks !

but, in your specific case, you do not have alot of time in Florence and the train is at least 3 hrs RT . for me, this would be too frantic of a pace.

Have fun in Florence!!
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 04:49 PM

Going to Siena either before or after or during the race is one thing; actually SEEING it is entirely different. I know because I've been fortunate enough to do so.

Seats around the "course" can bee VERY hard, if not impossible, to come by. The locals and their neighborhood rivalries are loathe to give up viewing spots to anyone, outsiders or not.

Furthermore, the race doesn't last all that long.

I agree it is a unique experience but it is a lot more enjoyable if you actually get to watch it.

If it is Siena vs. Florence or more particularly, Florence vs. the Palio, I'd stay in Florence.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 06:04 PM

I agree with others that being in Siena before the race is enchanting. The contrada marching through the streets singing loudly is a vivid memory. We had the good luck to have climbed the tower in the Museum of the Duomo (I believe the signs point toward "panorama) as one of the trial races was being held. We were thrilled with our bird's eye view.
The Palazzo Ravizza was wonderful. Ask for a room with a garden view, especially if you are early risers. You will see sunrise over the Tuscan hills.