Siena in the days before the Palio

Old May 21st, 2006, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Siena in the days before the Palio

I will be staying in Siena from 6/28-7/1, using this as my base to explore the surrounding area.

I had assumed that I was missing the Palio, but upon reading further realized that there are trial races in the 3 days leading up to the big event on 7/2.

Has anyone been in Siena at this time? How should this affect my planning, i.e., in choice of location for a restaurant for lunch/dinner, or sight-seeing in the center of Siena? Just wanted to know what to expect (or is this a non-event in terms of my trip).

In fact, I was planning to spend at least one, and possibly two days outside of Siena to visit some surrounding towns and vineyards, etc. But if it is worth being in Siena for some of the pre-race festiviities, I will plan accordingly.

I'd love to hear from someone who knows a little more about this than I do. Thanks

Rhonda
Old May 21st, 2006, 02:02 PM

This is the official site for Il Palio; don't know if it will help or not.
Old May 21st, 2006, 02:02 PM

oops - here's the link
http://www.ilpalio.org/palioenglish.htm
Old May 21st, 2006, 02:05 PM

Rhonda
I'll be in Siena the same date as you, and I'm also wondering about this event! I'll also visit the surrounding areas.
which hotel are you staying?
Old May 21st, 2006, 02:09 PM

We were in Siena last year the day before the Palio. Siena was packed with people but there was a lot of excitement and fun. There were parades and everyone was wearing the flags of the district of their baptism. You are lucky to be there at that time, I think!
Old May 21st, 2006, 02:24 PM

We've been in Siena twice, once right after the Palio and everything was returned to normal and last year for 3 days before the final race. It is two different places. You will enjoy the time trials, as they have all the pagentry and excitement of the real race. All the contrada (neighborhoods) have their horse and it seems as if the whole contrada parade thru the streets behind their horse singing and chanting as they march into the campo. We absolutely loved it!!! We went to the first time trial at night, but couldn't get into the campo, it was packed. They also had another trial the very next morning at 9 am that wasn't so crowded so we were inside and had an excellent standing location at one of the turns. This is one custom of Europe that still is exactly as it was 200 years ago. It should not be missed, plus the contrada are out with their contrada scarves singing and dancing and eating and drinking having the time of their lives.
Old May 21st, 2006, 02:29 PM

More thoughts on the palio. The town just as this air about it. It's electric. It's like being in the town of the Superbowl the days before the big game. There will be lots of people, but I do trust that you have your hotel reservations made??

dave in pennsylvania
Old May 21st, 2006, 02:52 PM
RJD

A small negative note. I've been to Siena for a week at a time in April and May. Even at those times it's extremely crowded, hard to find a place to park and quite touristy. Be cautious if you're adverse to crowds. The Enoteca Nationale may be worth it though.
Old May 21st, 2006, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the descriptions...I am excited to see and experience this first hand. I appreciate all the first hand reports--

One more question, for those of you who have been there: Would all the events and activities around the campo influence your choice of where to have dinner? Would you want to be right there? or further away due to the crowds?

Based on your reports, I am inclined to alter my original plan a bit. I will spend one very full day traveling the Chianti Classico road (stopping in a few towns and wineries and San Gimignano), but instead of traveling out of Siena on the next day, I will stay around to see the sights of Siena (including one or more of the trials, if we can) for the others--

Italy Love, I am staying at the Palazzo Ravizza for one night and the Borgo Grondaie for two nights--where are you staying?

Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:52 PM

Last month we spent 2 nights at the Palazzo Ravissa and 4 nights at the Borgo Grondaie - enjoyed both hotels very much, would return.
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 03:25 PM

What room did you have at the Palazzo Ravizza? I have heard some people loved their rooms but my sense is they got rooms #11 or #14 or #5 while others did not like their rooms saying many thing sincluding that they were smaller, dingy or that the street side rooms were very noisy.
Any recommendations on which rooms are good? Palazzo has told me none of the ones I listed are available for my dates.
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 03:49 PM

My wife had an apartment near the Piazza del Campo when thet ran the race in August. She loved the whole thing, although she said it gets noisy from the various groups who parade around All Night blowing trumpets and beating on drums. She finally solved that problem with earplugs. It will be extremely crowded, my wife made it right to almost the front in the Campo and was able to get some great shots of the action.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 12:26 PM

We were in room #14, so I guess we were lucky, tho I had asked for a garden view room. I will say that it did make a difference for us, which is why I tend to plan these things way in advance. Can't speak for the other rooms, but the grounds and the breakfast room were lovely, as well as the location.