Notices

Where to Buy Palio Flags

Old Jul 31st, 2004, 06:53 AM
DAJ
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to Buy Palio Flags

I recall reading on this forum that a fodorite purchased replica Palio flags as a souvenir, however, after numerous search attempt I cannot relocate.

Does anyone know where to find representative flags of the various regions, other than Siena. I plan on a day trip to Orvieto from Rome and wonder if I may be able to see any here.

Thanks.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 11:49 AM

The Palio flags represent the different neighborhoods of Siena, not regions of Italy. I'm guessing it would be hard to buy these flags outside of Siena, but I could be wrong. I've never seen them sold in any other town.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 02:21 AM
DAJ
Original Poster

Thank you Jean,

You could very well be correct. For some reason, perhaps because of it commemorating the warring of factions, this was regional. I guess in those days, neighborhoods were regional enough. You are probably very correct in guessing that they may only be available in Siena, but I thought they may not be. Thanks.

Any one else.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 06:31 AM

Jean is right: The Palio flags are actually called "bandiere delle contrade" or "flags of the contradas," a contrada being one of 17 (I think) neighborhoods in Siena. The Sienese take their contrade very seriously: shortly after a child is born, he or she is officially "inducted" into the contrada at a ceremony with a band and men in costume waving and spinning the contrada flag. I know, because I happened on one of these ceremonies once in Siena.

I would doubt very much that the flags would be available anywhere except in Siena.