COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is May too cold for hiking in the Dolomites?

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 04:51 PM
Debra

I'm scheduled to arrive in Venice May 15 and depart from Milan May 27. I'd like to see Venice, the Dolomites, and the lakes (Como, Maggiore, Orta), but now I'm worried that it might be too cold to get out and walk in the mountains. If so, does anyone have an alternative itinerary, still beginning in Venice and ending in Milan? This is my first trip to Italy and I wanted to stay in a fairly small area (and avoid very large cities, like Rome). I'd appreciate any advice from those who know.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 06:38 PM
Diane

I don't think so. There will be some areas still snow covered, but you should find plenty of places to hike.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 12:32 AM
jen

People hike in the mountains all year round. Just bring warm clothes - boots, not sneakers (you may get muddy), a wind- and water repellent jacket with a fleece or sweater underneath, and a light hat & gloves just in case.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 03:11 AM
Martha

We were in the Dolomites at exactly the same time (May 28, 29 & 30 of 2002). The weather was wonderful, Spring-like and sunny. Temperatures were in 50-60's at least during the day. We wore light rain jackets while hiking, which were nice to have in the windy areas. Under the jackets we had shirts and travel vests. However, it was not cold by any means and most of the time we had the jackets tied around our waists. You will have a wonderful time in May. If you want more info, feel free to contact me. Martha

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 08:56 AM
Jacqueline Bond

What about this area in the last week of March?