Reload this Page >

Clothing needed for hiking in Murren in mid September

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 03:20 PM
Troy

I will be spending three days in Zermatt and four days in Murren in mid September. I plan to hike daily. I am not sure what type of clothing I will need this time of year. Will I need light weight thermals at least for the early morning? Any idea about what the highs and lows are for this time of year? Your recommendations are much appreciated. Thanks.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 04:24 PM
s

Troy,<BR><BR>I've hiked both the Oberland and the Zermatt area, but always in January or March (after my legs gave up on skiing). <BR><BR>Yet even in the depth of winter, I didn't wear thermals. I usually wore a cotton t-shirt, a cotton turtleneck, a cardigan, and a raincoat with zip-out liner. But by the middle of the hike, I had taken off the cardigan and the zip-out liner. Sometimes I also took off the t-shirt and continued only with the turtleneck and raincoat liner.<BR><BR>So my advice is to be sure you can strip off your layers as you warm up. I think you'd be ok with a t-shirt and raincoat w/zip-out liner. Or maybe a t-shirt, polartek vest, and rainproof shell.<BR><BR>Sorry I can't help w/ temps for this time of year. Someone used to post information about a site with historic weather conditions in Europe, but I forget exactly what it was (weatherunderground???) You may be able to find it if you do a text search here.<BR><BR>Good luck.<BR><BR>s

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 06:00 PM
Bob Brown

Having been in both of the areas you mention in September more than once, I think you need to be prepared for anything! For example, one day in Zermatt in the 3rd week of September we started out with the Matterhorn bathed in sunlight. Our objective was the end station on the Gornergrat line. By the time we got there it was snowing and Monte Rosa was barely visible. The Matterhorn had long since become shrouded in clouds.<BR> <BR>The fog and snow were dense enough that I opted to take the train back because I could not find the trail.<BR> <BR>In the Berner Oberland, I have been caught in sleet storms as well as snow flurries. <BR>My standard equipment starts with my Goretex rain suit, consisting of a parka and trousers.<BR>I also have along a polyester sweater that is rather warm and a Polarfleece 200 pullover. I also find that Goretex gloves are essential, and of course I have my head covered with a cap so I can pull my hood up, but still be able to see from under my jacket hood.<BR> <BR>On the other hand, I have hiked when most of the people had on shorts and shortsleeved shirts while the sun was up. I will normally start out on such a day with my convertable trousers (zip off legs) and a short sleeved shirt, but it is not uncommon to pull on the Polarfleece in the shade. <BR><BR>If you are staying overnight at a mountain hut, then you may need something else, depending on how cold natured you are and what you brought along to sleep in -- like a sleeping bag.<BR><BR>Some of what I take along does depend on the weather forecast, and where I am going. If there is a mountain hotel or a shelter hut along the route, I may leave out the sweater on a sunny day, but that is at times a little risky.<BR><BR>If the weather was any later than September, I think I would want something more, particularly if I was going to be above 9,000 feet and exposed to the wind. <BR>

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 06:34 PM
amy

Yup, layers. All kinds. Was there late June/early July. Was extremely variable.<BR><BR>I would say the rule of the mountains holds--cool mornings, warm-hot noon, cold night. Generally would start hike with CoolMax tee with overshirt, maybe light jacket, full convertible pants. By noon, had zipped off legs and was down to sports bra.<BR><BR>Yet one day had to buy super heavy polartec sweatshirt in Murren to keep warm. My featherweight polartec couldn't do it, no matter how many layers I threw on my body.<BR><BR>Light (unlined) Goretex jacket/pants always a good idea.<BR><BR>Ditto for stocking cap/gloves--those super cheapy kind that you can stuff inside a shoe. <BR><BR>Do want to mention that a lot of us who hike try to avoid cotton, though. It's the old thermal safety problem--when wet, it has no heat-retaining properties. A downpour could mean death. A merely sweat-soaked cotton shirt at altitude can also be dangerous.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:40 PM
Georgine

The previous posters are correct. In mid-September/2001, we experienced all four seasons within 24 hours.<BR><BR>Freezing rain, sleet and finally snow in Murren, followed by sunshine in the low 70's in Wengen the next day---warm enough to lie out in bathing suits and get a good tan.<BR><BR>The higher the altitude, you even get a significant change of temp while hiking between full sun and shade areas.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 04:36 AM
swisscheese

Hey Troy...My wife and I have hiked all over CH, we usually go in early to mid Sept. As an example, I will tell you about our clothing for the hike to the Hornlihutte (3260 m)in Zermatt last year (Sept 16). We go as light as possible for strenuous hiking. Polypro long underwear, top and bottom, midweight. Sock liners and Smartwools trekking socks. Next, fleece windstopper vest and a fleece jacket with a goretex shell over all. We don't like goretex pants and don't find them necessary so we wear a thermal training pant which is lighter and more comfortable. Fleece cap, fleece gloves. Walking sticks. We didn't need the goretex shells or the fleece jackets until we had gone above about 3000m, then we had sleet off and on the rest of the way up. Also quite a bit of snow on the trail. The hut is closed at this time of year, but the hike is still worthwhile with incredible views. To close, what you wear depends a lot on where you are hiking, how high you go and how active a hiker you are. If you are the type that hikes a little, then stops or hikes very slowly, you will need more clothes.