is Hotel Albion good choice for Paris

Old Feb 20th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is Hotel Albion good choice for Paris

I'm looking at the Hotel Albion for my Paris trip. there weren't many tripadvisor reviews. It is a block away from the SaintGeorges metro station. Is this a safe area?
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 09:33 PM

Hi Ballbuster,
I assume you are talking about Hotel France Albion. I've also considered it for my next trip (ended up choosing another hotel because this time I'd like to stay on the 17th arrondissement). I think the area is safe and quite nice. It's not the most popular area with tourists, which for me makes it even better. The lovely Musée de la Vie Romantique is nearby. There are some good food shops on rue des Martyrs and also Denise Acabo's wonderful chocolate shop, on 30 rue Fontaine.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 09:40 PM

Is this the one in the eighthth on Rue Penthievre? If so, it is WONDERFUl. My mother has been going there for years before I was born, and I've always stayed there. The area is not tourist-central, for better or for worse, but it is quiet, "charming," and only a 20 minute walk to the Tuileries/Seine. The hotel rooms are lovely; each is themed as either "youth," "maturity," "poetry," "music," or "dance" (randon, whichever you're in) with pictures on the wall accordingly. Our room had a television, there is an elevator, and a tiny garden (though a wonderful warm breakfast of tea/coffee, juice, bread, jam, and pastry is also served in the room). We NEVER have seen any other Americans/tourists of any kind; it's always been French people from out of town.

Oh, and they have delicious candies at the front desk. ;-). My old nanny (when we lived in Paris) works there now.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 09:46 PM

No, I think ballbuster was referring to a different hotel - Hotel France Albion, on 11 rue Notre Dame de Lorette. Thanks for your recommendation, though - I always enjoy reading about "new" hotels in Paris, especially those that are a bit removed from the most touristy areas.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 05:49 AM

yes, it's a safe area. I stayed in that exact location last summer -- well, maybe about two blocks from St Georges metro. If you go there, I can suggest some restaurants, but basically you can just walk around and find them nearby.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

yes, you are right Keren, Hotel France Albion. But that is now out of the question as it only has rooms with 1 double bed, I need two twin beds.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 05:46 AM

I've just booked a room at his hotel based on a New York Times article of the area? Does anyone else have comments about this hotel/area?
http://travel2.nytimes.com/mem/trave...51C0A9639C8B63
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 06:04 AM

Ballbuster:
You said they don't have twin beds.

Did you mean they don't have one available? The website quotes Twin rooms.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 06:09 AM

We've never visited Montmarte, but plan to get up there on our next trip. We love walking in Paris...usually 10-15 miles a day. But would it be ridiculous to walk to Sacre Coeur from this hotel?
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 09:09 AM

ballbuster might be saying all the twin rooms are booked up, not that there aren't any 'at all'.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 09:22 AM

Jeanne, I gather you mean can you walk to Sacre Coeur from near Notre-Dame-de-Lorette metro station? Sure, it's probably about 1 km from there to the Abbesses metro stop which is where a lot of folks get out to go to Sacre Coeur. It's kind of uphill, but not a bad walk at all. From there, you can decide if you want to walk all the way or take the funicular.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 10:33 PM

Hi universitylad,
There's only one very good comment about the hotel on www.tripadvisor.com, http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...de_France.html

It would be interesting to read your comment after you stay at the France Albion. The neighbourhood is great.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 09:44 AM

I'd like to hear your suggestions on restaurants in this area, Christina.

Or anyone else.

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 03:50 PM

I've noticed that this hotel is nearby the hotel in the 9th the recently had the devestating fire.

Does anyone know how many stories the Hotel France Albion is? Does it have multiple exits?
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 05:55 AM

sorry, universitylad, I didn't see your request before -- I'll think of a few places but don't have time right now.

As for your current question, the fact that both your hotel and the one with the tragic fire are in the 9th arrondisement isn't something I wouldn't focus on because there's no connection. That hotel was a 1* hotel behind Galleries Lafayette and was used by social services for temporary housing (many of those were African immigrants from Senegal, from what I read). The France Albion is a nice 2* hotel from what I've read and isn't really in the same immediate area, so no closer to it than you'd be to tons of other hotels, even 4* ones. I'm just saying both being in the 9th isn't important. It's probably about 6 blocks away.

There's nothing wrong with being concerned about safety, but I wouldn't tie these facts together. As for the size, I think it's one of those typical small French hotels in older buildings -- around 5-6 stories. You would have to ask them about the exits and other things (sprinklers, fire alarms, smoke detectors, etc.). I know it was recently renovated and even has AC, so they probably have done something.
Old May 9th, 2005, 03:32 PM

HOTEL FRANCE ALBION

Just arrived back from a week's stay at Hotel France Albion in Paris. I enjoyed the hotel. The reception was friendly and most spoke excellent English.

The hotel seemed recently renovated and my bathroom was roomy. A large bath/shower, sink, and toilet. We had BBC on the TV the first few nights which was helpful for the weather, but after that only the French stations came in. Rooms are airconditioned.

There is breakfast for 12 Euros, but I didn't try it. Rue des Martyrs is on the next street with a myriad of bakeries, produce, butcher shops, etc. The area seemed mainly residential and we saw very few tourists which we enjoyed. It's very close to Montmarte and it definately is possible to walk to Sacre Coeur, which we did, however, it is mostly up hill. It's very close to two metro lines. The St. Georges and Notre Dame de Lorette stops on the 12 line are each less than a block away an the Le Peletier stop on the 7 line is only two blocks away.

There seemed to a internet/business access area in the lobby, but I didn't use it and I'm not sure if there was a fee associated with it. There was a sign about WiFi in the rooms, but it seemed expensive. The also sell stamps at the desk. The elevator is a typical small European hotel elevator and was functional.

I'd definately stay here again.