Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris - Hotel Deux Continents , Hotel Moliere or Hotel de France Invalides?

Apr 15th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

I am taking a last minute trip to Paris at the end May (I'm very excited!) and have been searching for a triple room. I have made a bunch of inquiries and have a few proposals already. My first choices, which were booked were Hotel Clement, Hotel Bonaparte, Hotel Familia, Hotel Minerve, Grand Hotel des Balcons and Hotel St. Jacques. I've kind of narrowed my search to 5th, 6th, but found one in the 1st that looks interesting. I want an elevator and television with English channels, and the usual clean,etc.. I think I've narrowed it down to these hotels.

Hotel Deux Continents - on rue Jacob, 6th - great location, 200/night - I have read mixed reviews on this hotel on Trip Advisor and here. Some love it, some don't like it.

Hotel Moliere - on rue Moliere, 1st 195/night - I normally like left bank but stayed in this area and liked it, it seems like a good location near Louvre and Palais Royal.

Hotel de France Invalides - on Bd. de la Tour Maubourg 160/night - I like being close to St. Germain but this gets good reviews here.

I'm waiting to hear from Acte V (formerly Hotel Monge), Hotel Mahler (Marais), Hotel Delavigne, and Hotel Home Latin.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the 3 that I have received availability for, or the others? Is there one that I should avoid?

Thanks!
Apr 15th, 2010, 05:56 PM

I have been staying at the Hôtel de France - Invalides for years. Love the place. Love the staff. Love the price. It's not a luxury property, but they take very good care of me.
Apr 15th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply StCirq! Your posts about this hotel were why I included it! I usually stay closer to the Odeon or St. Germain metro because I like the shops and restaurants around there, so that was some of my hesitation because this isn't so close but I'm sure there are restaurants and shops nearby!
Apr 15th, 2010, 06:21 PM

cls2paris: Well, it's definitely not as busy a commercial area as St.-Germain, bu the Place Ecole Militaire has a bunch of cafés and all the nearby avenues are lined with restaurants and cafés and tea rooms and boulangeris, and so forth, and the rue Cler has all kinds of shops, and the rue Sainte-Dominique is nearby with all kinds of restaurants and antique stores and whatnot, so it's not exactly "quiet" in those parts.

I do like the area around Odéon a lot myself, but I am actually always a bit relieved to come back to the 7ème after a long day of hoofing it around Paris.
Apr 15th, 2010, 07:51 PM

I would add the Hotel du Danube to your list. The "comfort" rooms are 180 euro/night and those that are courtside have air conditioning. The Superior and Contemporary rooms are more and not all have air conditioning. I would skip the Standard room if reserving.

The du Danube is also on rue Jacob and is a lovely place that we have enjoyed.
Apr 15th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, basingstoke2! I checked their website and it was 240 for a triple. I did send an e-mail inquiry though just to see if the price is different.
Apr 16th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Apr 16th, 2010, 08:56 AM

You have chosen very good hotels.
To complete your choice, you can have a look at the Hotel des Carmes.
Apr 16th, 2010, 09:04 AM

I've stayed at DeuxContinents and had no complaints. We've stayedmany times at the Danube and love it and the staff. You could also try the Millesime, it's also on rue Jacob, which is the most convenient street to me
Apr 16th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, cachmemire. I sent an inquiry to Hotel des Carmes.

Avalon - I am waiting to hear from the Danube, the Millesime was a litte over budget for me, but thanks for the input.

I am now waiting for my travel companions to chime in on the final choices.

I appreciate all of the help!
Cindy
Apr 20th, 2010, 02:13 AM

You can also check this one in the 7th arrondissement:
Best Western tour Eiffel Invalides
http://www.h-invalides.com
Very comfortable and not so expensive.

Enjoy
Apr 20th, 2010, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, justf I'll keep that one in mind. We have decided to book Hotel Acte V (formerly Hotel Monge) in the 5th. I stayed there when it was Hotel Monge and liked the area. I appreciate all of the input.
Apr 21st, 2010, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

cachemire - I just booked the Hotel des Carmes for my 4 solo nights in Paris next month. I was hoping to stay in a different arr. for the second part of my stay (staying at Hotel Acte V for frist 5 days) but am having trouble finding available rooms in my price range at such a late date. So, thanks for this recommendation, the hotel looks great and I'll post a report about it!
May 31st, 2010, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Cachemire - the Hotel des Carmes was great! It was very basic but fit my needs perfectly. I had a single room with a double bed and small bathroom, it would have been too crowded with more than one person. I paid 89 euros per night. The location is great, about a block to a metro stop and there was a market in the square a couple of times during the week. Thanks for the recommendation!