Irish Wedding

Jun 22nd, 2003, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Irish Wedding

We are a family of four traveling from the US to northern Ireland in July. By coincidence, my wife's cousin, whom she has met only once about 12 years ago, is getting married while we are in the area. Is the practice for Catholic weddings in Ireland the same as in the US -- i.e., the church ceremony is open to anyone, but only invited guests may attend the reception afterwards? Also, do children usually attend the church ceremony? the reception? We do not want to impose upon the bride and groom at the expense of other friends or closer relatives, but would like to experience some of the festivities if possible. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Mike
Jun 22nd, 2003, 12:44 PM
ice

In general anyone can go to the church but you have to be invited to the reception. Have a good time here best wishes Ice
Jun 22nd, 2003, 05:40 PM
ira

Hi Jake,

Have you let your cousin know you will be there at the time of her wedding?

I'd be surprised if she didn't invite you.
Jun 22nd, 2003, 06:13 PM

I've been to a number of weddings in Northern Ireland (and I recently moved here), and had never seen anyone show up for the ceremony who wasn't invited to the reception. Of course, that's not to say it doesn't happen.

That said, there are different levels of invitation. You can be invited to the ceremony and reception, or invited to the "do". That's after the meal, when the music starts. Usually, that's when friends from work, more distant relatives, friends of guests, etc. make their appearance.

That's basically the best part of the wedding, and I would think you'd be invited to that if they know you will be in town. Usually it's a cash bar, so there's really no cost to have you come to the disco.

Also, the dress is a little less formal for this part of the reception. Don't have to do the suit/dress thing.

Have fun. Weddings here are always a blast.
Jun 22nd, 2003, 08:03 PM

One thing you might check on is the dress "code" for weddings there.... the wedding party we saw in Kenmare had the men in suits and the women in hats to the very last one. It was quite the charming scene.
Jun 23rd, 2003, 05:36 AM

We passed by two weddings during our trip to Ireland last summer, and I noticed the hats, too! Every woman coming out of the churches was wearing one.
Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:08 AM

At the weddings I've been to (all in Northern Ireland and England, none in the Republic of Ireland), some women wear hats, but not all, or even the majority. Usually, most of the older women have hats, and just a few of the younger women.
Jun 23rd, 2003, 12:48 PM

My big fat Irish wedding. omg its Mrs. Bisel!!! ahh run for your life!!! its Rerun!