Reload this Page >

Wedding in England--what to expect

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 07:49 AM
sar

Hello everyone--just a quick question. I am attending a wedding in England this july.I am just wondering what sort of traditions a typical english wedding has. Any help would be wonderful.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 09:23 AM
been

Buiy a hat for starters! And be prepared to hear lots of speeches and drink lots of champagne!

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 11:21 AM
xxx

Weddings traditionally are at noon; afterward, there is a seated luncheon, called a "edding breakfast".

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Alec

Please give us more info. Is it going to be a church/religious ceremony or a civil one?

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 12:46 PM
recent

Yes, it will depend on things like church versus civil etc. There is a lot of variation but:<BR>If it is a formal church wedding then the men especially the chief men, groom, best man, bride's and groom's fathers will wear morning dress.<BR>However it's quite common nowadays for the men to wear lounge suits.<BR>Women take the opportunity to dress up to the nines with a frivolous hat.<BR>If it's a church wedding, there will be ushers, friends or male relations of the groom who will see you to your seat.<BR>The relations of the couple will wear a small bunch of flowers or a single flower in their buttonhole (men) or pinned to their dress (women). The ceremony is quite a solemn one and in Anglican churches there is certainly no &quot;you may kiss the bride&quot;, very vulgar IMHO.<BR>After the ceremony comes the wedding breakfast where the bride, groom, best man, chief bridesmaid and parents sit on the top table. Speeches are made usually by the bride's dad or an old family friend in praise of the bride and he proposes a toast to the bride and groom. The groom makes a speech traditionally starting with &quot;my wife and I......&quot; and gets the traditional laugh. He thanks the parents and all the guests for coming and proposes a toast to the bridesmaids. Because it is very trad. and pre-women's lib. the best man replies on behalf of the bridesmaids. His is the most important speech because he has to embarrass the groom and has to try to be funny and slightly bawdy but not enough to shock the aged aunties in the audience.<BR>There is a huge elaborate rich fruit cake. Nowadays one layer will be a light sponge for people who don't like rich fruit cake. The bride and groom cut the cake together. The proceedings usually end with a dance and towards the end the couple leave for the honeymoon hoping that the guests have not managed to put confettii etc. in their luggage. If the guests manage to get the car they'll tie things to it and write messages on it etc. It is essential that the livlier guests don't get to know where the wedding night is to be spent!

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 01:17 AM
Meg

In short - watch the video of &quot;Four Weddings and a Funeral&quot; before you go.<BR><BR>Have fun!

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 06:08 AM
sylvia

Telegrams no longer exist but in former times the best man used to read them out at the reception. They could sometimes be extremely bawdy!

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 12:56 AM
david west

Drunk women in mad hats!<BR><BR>At least that's true in my family....

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 05:35 AM
piho

Around 10pm, the middle/older-aged folks at the wedding reception will take to the dance floor, much to the amusement of all others.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 05:56 AM
david west

At least one female guest will spend the entire evening in tears.<BR><BR>

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 01:25 PM
yep, its true

...crying &quot;It should have been me!&quot;

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 02:37 PM
ha

Lord ..I hope this stays on top..it is becoming very funny

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 03:37 PM
hijinx

One of the bridesmaids will inevitably hitch up their purple taffeta meringue dress to have a shag up against the wall in the gents.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 08:09 PM
alan

Went to a civil wedding up north and the comment &quot;Message: Drunk women in mad hats&quot; applied. Lots of drinking before, quick wedding, big dinner in the afternoon, then more drinking. Wedding cake was basically a fruitcake! <BR><BR>Great fun was had by all, and the best man (bride's brother in this case) gave the best 'toast' I've ever heard (punchline: &quot;You're dog's dead!&quot.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 10:07 PM
md

Is the bride on the right in England?

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 12:54 AM
what

&gt;Wedding cake was basically a &gt;fruitcake! <BR><BR>Of course it was. Bride's cake is traditionally a very rich fruit cake. As somebody said, nowadays one layer might be a lighter sponge cake. That sort of rich cake keeps for a long time. Traditionally the top tier would be kept for the christening of the first child. Pre-contraception and if no pre-marital mouchoir-pouchoir had taken place, the christening would have taken place about a year after the wedding.<BR><BR>

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 02:51 AM
david west

Dad's dancing!!!!<BR><BR>Always a treat<BR><BR>Also: an elderly male relative will be much too friendly to the bridesmaids<BR><BR>If the groom has invited members of any sports team there will be mooning.<BR><BR>The DJ will play the birdie song<BR><BR>

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 05:36 AM
martha python

What is the birdie song?

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 05:50 AM
LouiseUK

It's a nice little tune from 1981, similar to Agadoo, Hi Ho a Silver Lining and YMCA, ie one that is guaranteed to get everyone up on the dance floor. Basically, you flap your arms about like a birdie, grab your partners arms, swing them about and laugh a lot! Best performed by drunk women in silly hats, and men that are gagging for a fight! <BR><BR>Here is a link, go to the bottom of the page, turn your volume up loud and click on the birdie song link! Enjoy!<BR><BR>http://www.cybermidi.com/select/index.php?offset=150

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 07:47 AM
quite

&gt;Also: an elderly male relative will be &gt;much too friendly to the bridesmaids<BR><BR>Yes, it is essential to have an embarrassing uncle present or a blousy old aunt. If you haven't got one you'll have to hire one.<BR>On the whole, the proceedings start from very decorous and serious (the ceremony), through slightly more lively (the reception/wedding breakfst) ending with riotous (the evening &quot;do&quot where people are invited who weren't invited to the first two, i.e. the couple's livelier friends, relations and colleagues.<BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -