Ireland trip report-short version

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just in case you can't handle...or I never finish long version!

just back...
our theme was ceol agus craic...and good music, drink, and fun were had by all. we hired a driver/guide thru discover ireland tours, driver was Paddy...they get the highest of reccomendations...I cannot believe how well everything went. (they can plan, but I planned this trip and selected sights/stays...Paddy added the jokes and local history). with a group...best way to go.

daily routine, up at 7am, breakfast at 8am, on the road by 9am back B&B 6-7pm...with a group of 10 we did great staying on schedule!

1-we started off in shannon then a drive thru the burren to cong and on to westport. we stayed at the olde railway inn..great location, walk to dining, pubs, church. Ate at JJ O'Malley's, good. enjoyed drinks at Matt Malloy's ...very crowded and rowdy on weekends...lots of hen and stag parties.

2-toured croagh patrick (just up to the statue), doo lough valley, aashley falls...rhododendrums in full bloom, kylemore abbey, part of the sky road, thru clifden, roundstone and back to westport.
church, dinner at the Stuffed Sandwich, drinks/music at matt malloys.

3-corrowmore megalithic cemetary, drumcliffe/yeat's grave site, belleek, tully castle (along lake drive between belleek and enniskillen) past donegal, to dunkineely/St. John's point to our favorite B&B of trip (actually made our favorite everything list), Castle Murray House-WOW and do splurge on the dinner,well worth it.

4-along donegal coast with stop at glencolumbkille, on up scenic coast roads to glenveagh national park/castle then to our stay, silver tassie, just outside of letterkenny... great pub grub

5-derry/fantastic guided tour of derry walls to the apprentice boys headquarters then into bogside for tour of murals...very detailed with a lot of person memory stories, past city hall
on to dunluce castle and giant's causeway, then to dungiven to visit a local bodhran maker...well worth the effort. then back to the silver tassie

6-headed back south with stop in knock and coastal burren to cliffs of moher-very,very windy and construction detour is steep walk. stayed in doolin at cullinans...pub grub/music at mcgann's, was an easy 5 min. stroll...gets our award for best mussels, stew, and good dessert...cullinans best breakfast...love the honey/lemon pancakes, eggs benedict, choc. chip scone.

7-took ferry across shannon to dingle-various activities planned by parts of group-horsebackriding (if you want to do beach, schedule for early morning), golf, pitch/putt, shopping. dinners at Paul's, Smokehouse, Doyles...all report good. pub music-small bridge

8-gap of dunloe-beautiful day, perfect. loved the ride/walk/and boat trip. toured ross castle. to kenmare for evening...great dinner at davitt's. music at landsdown arms/bold thaddy quills, stayed at hawthorn house...good location.

9-beara peninsula, healy pass-wow, glengariff-garnish island tour of gardens, nice. church at Holy Cross-pretty stained glass and wooden ceiling/angels. dinner,OK, at foley's, stayed for music...finally got to hear that old Irish favorite (heard almost every night last trip)...take me home country roads!

10-thru moll's gap, stop at ladies view, thru killarney to adare...OK, wouldn't stop again, not much, around limerick. to bunratty castle/folk park-pleasantly surprised...enjoyed ability to explore castle and touch...unusual. the fold park was enjoyable. came back in evening for a quick drink at mac's pub and really enjoyed the banquet, especially the entertainment...food "interesting", did love the soup, bread, and mead...if anyone has a recipe for that soup...spicey...it was great!
easy 10 min. stroll back to our B&B, Bunratty woods.

11-shopping at woolen mills, taxi to airport...duty free shopping and home...well almost...to boston, overnight then spent the rest of the next day with delays...home the next morning at 1:30am
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 12:21 PM

Sounds like a fun trip! Are you planning on listing reviews of the B&Bs? (please
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 12:21 PM

Chip, thanks for the quickie version of trip report! I enjoy longer reports too, especially if they have space between short paragraphs (easier to read.)

Out of all of those wonderful places, where do you really yearn to spend more time?
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Texas...here is ranking of B&B's for this trip...

#1 Castle Murray House/St.John's Point,Co. Donegal- great views, service, food, a destinations holiday, I could stay here and look at that view forever! posh...updated rooms with unique theme decor, great bathrooms with spa toiltetries...stay here...donegal is wonderful!

#2 Olde Railway Inn/Westport, Co Mayo-victorian, unique rooms, nice antiques and collections, pretty views from rooms. good breakfast. great location, can be noisy in front rooms on weekends.

#3 Hawthorn House-Kenmare, Co Kerry-great location on Shelbourne street , close to everything. nice breakfast, smaller rooms, but fine

#4 Silver Tassie hotel-outside of Letterkenny, co. donegal- larger hotel with personality. standard hotel rooms. nice pub and restaurant-great pub food-family award for best seafood chowder and chips with variety of toppings

#5 Cullinans/Doolin, co. Clare- good locations, easy 5 min. stroll to mcgann's or mcdermotts. nice rooms...request main floor room, large with hot tub. no dinners on wed (when we were there, but good reputation)-family award for best breakfast-honey/lemon pancakes, chocolate chip scones, eggs benedict,+ other choices. comfy, quiet, good back room views of fields...comical mules. there is currently a lot of contruction across street, soon to be large shopping, hotel, etc. complex...I see as a negative.

#6 Doyles/Dingle,co. kerry- good location, good dinners, good breakfast, OK rooms, request main floor, hike up to 3rd floor, but cute room...in need of an update...too shabby to be quite chic.

# 7 Bunratty Woods-nice rooms, small showers, very homey...great common rooms, nice gardens,easy 10min. stroll to bunratty , 15 min. to woolen mills/shopping. have ground floor rooms, ok, but least favorite breakfast.

all had coffee in rooms, bunratty woods had coffee station downstairs available, all but olde railway had hair dryers (may have had, but did not see), all supplied ample towels, shampoo, soap,etc.

Old Jun 30th, 2006, 05:54 PM

chip,

It is good to know that the Olde Railway Hotel in Westport is still around. I recall some time ago a posting about it being sold and perhaps being torn down to build something else. I guess it is still being maintained as a hotel now. It is a landmark in Westport.
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Melissa-
must return to Castle Murray House again...stay 2 nights spending one day exploring paths, catch the dolphins, and hang out at the B&B, and definately enjoying dinner there again.

the whole county of donegal needs more time for exploring all of those scenic drives.

also enjoyed healy pass/beara pen.

next visit we would like to see more of the antrim coast and midland lake areas

IrishEyes-
we are glad the Olde Railway is still there too..perfect 1st night in Ireland...great start to a wonderful trip
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 04:26 PM

Hi Chip,
We spent part of a day on St. John's Point last year and I too want to go back. Good to know about the B&B there. I loved that entire area.

You all did lot of driving! Did that work out overall for your group?
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 05:17 PM
TravelBerry

Great trip and B&B reports, although I would've loved to hear more about your days. Ireland has always fascinated me ever since I went there when I was 10, and I hope to return someday in the near future.

Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

rosetravels--
note that we hired a private driver/guide...just had to sit back and relax and listen to wonderful stories and jokes(half my journal is full of Paddy's witty comments!) as we traveled all those scenic roads...

some people did choose to nap in our very comfy coach along the way, so was perfect for everyone!

travelberry--
long version is "Ireland trip report-ceol agus craic"

slowly adding day by day...
hope you enjoy

hopefully someday soon I will get pictures online...have to weed thru a couple of hundred pics from digital camera (I really need to take a photography class before my next trip!)

Hope you get there soon...has changed so much since our last trip just 3 years ago.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 06:17 AM

Next time, carve out some time to visit Belfast. It's a gorgeous old Victorian city that deserves a day's touring.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

mahlquist--
thanks for the tip, Northern Ireland will definately get more time for exploring on our next trip.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 03:57 AM

Wondered about your driver/guide. How did you find him and how much did it cost?

Thanks
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

topping for rahab69

hope this helps

we pretty much had our itinerary set...DI tours gave some input and suggestions for accomodations but I found most because we wanted B&B's and since I had previous experience I kind of knew what I was looking for...plus help from this site.

they can help set itinerary and get accomodations (they actually made all reservations, I just told them what I wanted). they were very flexible, by the time we made downpayment we had everything pretty much in place, but were able to make some changes...mostly in sights we wanted to visit.

we had them include travel, accomodations, the banquet, gap of dunloe tour, and some of the sight entrances in our price. a friend went on a tour for the same length and the price was about the same...so for the price of a big group tour you can go on your own private tour.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 09:25 AM

Thanks for the list of B&Bs! I've put them in my Ireland notebook
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 01:40 PM

Chip,

I didn't see how much your driver cost? It's an option I'm seriously considering at this point. Just need to figure out how much.

Thanks!
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

sunnyside-

we packaged everything together-accomodations,driver/guide, sights, gap of dunloe tour, boat to garnish island, private tour of derry, bunratty banquet...for 10 days/10 people it came to approx. 1300Euro per/person (we had a much better exchange rate than today).

with air-it was just under what a friend paid for a CIE tour for the same amount of days.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 08:56 PM

Thanks Chip. Appreciate it!
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 07:25 AM

Your trip sounds wonderful! We just got back from 2 weeks in Italy and I'm now thinking of Ireland for our next trip. How did you find DI tours?
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 05:53 AM

Glad you enjoyed Donegal.... St John's Point is truly lovely.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

hi fluff-
you will love Ireland...it is beautiful.

I found searching sites. Did lots of comparisons and got info and quotes from a couple of independent guides/drivers.

DI was most timely and professional and had great references. One was actually from near my home so that made me feel better and I talked to one guy from Chicago on the phone...all rave reviews. I have since given several references for them as well as reccommended to some friends.

With a small group...it is realy a great option.