Ireland Question 2nd Time

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Posted this yesterday and can't find it?? Once again, planning a Sept or Oct 2008 (10 day) Ireland trip arriving Shannon, departing Dublin. Does either month take preference over the other for best time? Also, travelling from Kenmare, should we travel via Glengarriff, Bantry, Skibbereen, Clonakilty, Kinsale to Blarney. Are these areas to be seen or going out of our way? Appreciate any advice!
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 07:52 AM

hbo-

I found your original post by clicking on your name. Here is the one response you received:

Author: Padraig
Date: 11/14/2007, 03:07 pm
There are no certainties with weather in Ireland! That said, late September is often a good bet, probably better than the second half of October.

The Cork coast is well worth seeing, especially if you are lucky with the weather. The towns you list are all worth seeing. I am no fan of Blarney, which is set up to separate tourists from their money.

Have a great trip!
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 07:53 AM

days get dramatically shorter in October than Sep and weather may be worse as well but it can be any month

I'd go sooner in the fall rather than later
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 09:22 AM

I second Padraig...Blarney isn't worth seeing. If you want to see a lovely castle, cottage and grounds, go to Cahir in Tipperary. Then for a lovely drive to Dublin, up through Kilkenny...great town. I would go in September. More apt to have all heritage sites, etc. open.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Oops. Sorry. I clicked on my name and it did come up. Thanks for teaching me something and for the feedback. Anyone else?
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 12:37 PM

We were just there this past late September and the weather was great! We only had 2 days with rain, the day we arrived and the day before we left. The drive you describe through those towns is very nice, Kinsale is a very cute village. Never went to Blarney, heard it was too touristy.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 01:49 PM

We visited Mizen Head on our way from Kinsale to Kenmare. It adds some time to the drive but well worth it.
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 11:37 AM

We are off to Ireland in Sep 2008 also. We are flying into Dublin and out of Shannon. I was in Ireland in July 2006 with my sister and we both loved the Blarney castle. The grounds were pretty and we climbed up to kiss the stone. My sister kissed the stone but no stone kissing for me; I gave a little peck on the cheek to the man who helped you kiss the stone. The view from the top was amazing. Contrary to what everyone says Blarney was not crowded and it was July.

I also loved Dublin; most people on Fodor’s don’t seem to like Dublin. Kinsale was a wonderful town. But I think my favorite town was Dingle and the area around Dingle.

Ireland was better than I dreamed of and I had some high expectations. I can’t wait to go back and show my husband. Have a great trip!
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 07:38 AM

Although we are Irish , we have toured our own country. For ideas about distance/time taken and hidden features, I can direct you to our Munster driving tour:

http://www.hidden-dublin.com/tours/munster_index.html

remember to leave plenty of time to enjoy your drive! Oct this year (2007) had excellent weather but September not so good. Whatever the weather, it wil be worth the time and trouble for your visit. You will have great memories and meet some super people in Munster (I'm Dublin-born BTW!).

We did visit several of the places you mentioned plus some more that you have not yet discovered. The effort to visit Dursey Island is well worth it, plus you can do Mizen Head the same day.

Peter