Ireland in Late Sept?

Search

Ireland in Late Sept?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland in Late Sept?

Is late September too late in the year for a week in Ireland? We would like to be outdoors as much as possible, walking through towns and villages and along the cliffs. Thanks for the help!!
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 05:43 PM

We went to Ireland Late September and early October a few years ago and had a great trip. We did have VERY good weather when we were there. If it had rained more it may have slowed us down a bit but if you dont mind the rain...no problem. There were far fewer tourists than the high season which for us seemed great. It meant a few places were closed especially up North in Donegal and the Anterim coast but we found more than enough to keep us busy for 3 weeks. Truth be told we would have loved more time. My advice is...there is no bad time to visit Ireland if you dont mind the weather. Have fun and keep us posted with your planning!
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Panhandle. Taking out the travel time to/from, we'll only have 5 days on the island. How should we spend the 5 days?
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 06:22 PM

Great time of year to go to Ireland. I've been those months at least 3 or 4 times. My opinion, anytime of the year is great. Have fun. Joan
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:44 AM

hi mcgrigg - may and september are usually the two months of the best weather in ireland. it is normally sunny and warm (well for us anyway!) plus you have the added bonus of not so many tourists around (depending on where you go of course).

as you are only on a 5 day trip, i would suggest you pick one base and then do day trips from there rather than run yourself ragged trying to see too much.

where you go all depends on what you like to do. city? countryside? you should give further details so that people can help.

wherever you go, have a wonderful time in ireland.

catherine
www.welovedonegal.com

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:51 AM

we were in Ireland over late September in 2004. everyone said to go to Kerry, but it was shrouded in mist and rained pretty much the whole 5 days we were there, so we didn't see anything. Apparently that's not unusual, so seems a bit hit and miss as a destination at the time. However inland and south seemed to be much better in terms of being able to take in the beautiful green of Ireland. The area around Kilkenny was particularly memorable.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 02:08 AM

mcgrigg writes: "Is late September too late in the year for a week in Ireland? ..."
I think late September is perfect for Ireland. If you are so disposed you might even participate in the Matchmaking festival in Lisdoonvarna (County Clare, near Lahinch & Doolin). I played golf in September at Spanish Point (Co. Clare) and Carne Golf Links (Belmullet, Co. Mayo). Those were 2-different visits (2001 & 2003). I went back to Carne in May, 2004 and the weather was not nearly as nice; but that's just the luck of the draw.

In Sep. 2001 I was seated next to an Irish couple from Galway who planned their honeymoon in San Francisco. They had missed their connection to SFO the previous afternoon - stayed at one of the airport hotels. Their flight left Newark the morning of 9/11 as they were climbing out they saw rhe first plane crash into the WTC Tower. They spent most of their honeymoon in Grand Rapids, MI.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again...sounds like the timing will work well. I know it's going to be tough to cram things into 5 days. Must-sees are Dublin and the Cliffs of Mohrer but would prefer to spend only a day in Dublin. We're not into golfing but would love to roam on foot through picturesque villages and along the coast line. We would love to stay in a castle for 2 nights if there is a good option centrally located relative to the things we'd like to see. Ideas?
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 07:28 AM

I am with WELOVEDDONEGAL as that is my favorite county and town as well but if Dublin and The Cliffs of Moher are priorities to you they would be manageable. I would try to book a flight either into Shannon and out of Dublin or the other way around as it would take too much of your time to backtrack to catch your flights. I would also really listen to those who have and will tell you to concentrate on one base to stay for the whole or most of the trip. Ireland is very slow to travel around and packing up your things each day to move to a new area just takes up too much time. It is so tempting to try to see as much as you can in Ireland and you will really miss the charm if your spending all your time in a car.
Having said that...I would look at several places to stay near the Cliffs of Moher...Lisdoonvarna (the festival would be a blast if your around when its going on!), Lahinch, Doolin are possiblities. Doolin is known for its traditional music but in my opinion lacks some of the architectural charm of some other towns. Kinvarra might be another option as well.
I am just so partial to the northwest Ireland that its tough to give my opinion on Clare!
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 02:40 PM

panhandle: yep, donegal is the best!

in relation to the weather, i have pictures on my website taken in december - there are golfers playing the course in moville in their shirt sleeves! our weather is VERY unpredictable.

and remember, if it rains - then that is ok. without the rain we would not have our forty shades of green.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 03:04 PM
CU

Hi mcgrigg,
Welcome to the land of welcomes. great to see that you are coming for five days. there is so much to do and see. If you are thinking of hitting Dublin around the third Sunday of September finding a place to stay will be difficult as the All Ireland football match will be on. As big as the world series. Do you know that people keep talking about going here and going there for such a short trip. Well say you stayed in Dublin there is transport by express rail going north, south and west from Dublin and you coulds say spend one day in Galway - back to Dublin and the next day off to Belfast - Cork - and then there is Killlarney.
www.railtours.ie has it all.
enjoy.