Search

Ireland Newbies

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2005, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland Newbies

My boyfriend and I are both of Irish decent, but have never been to Ireland!We are planning a trip to Ireland in August. We have about 10 days, with the first 2 nights already booked in Dublin. We then pick up our rental car and leave (eight days later) from Shannon. Any recommendations? Must sees? B& B suggestions? We would appreciate the help!
Old May 31st, 2005, 04:34 PM

Try reading some of the Trip reports threads, in order to get a good preliminary idea of what interests you.
Old May 31st, 2005, 05:49 PM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34464811

Katya - above is the link to my 2003 Dublin trip report. Had a whirlwind 4 days! Wonderful though. Did the day trip to Glendalough (sp? too lazy to look it up!), was a great trip aside from being stranded in the snow on the way home.

If you have more specific questions, I'll try to answer them, but am out of time right now! -Trav
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions and trip reports! I have been reading everything I can find, and now another question has come up: we booked our trip through a fairly reputable agency, and our B&Bs are supposed to be on the "voucher" system. Is this normal? Do most of the B&Bs take these vouchers? How does one know if any B&Bs don't? Should I call directly to find out?

The other question is regarding our hotel in Dublin- we are booked at the Burlington Hotel, which is supposed to be 4 star. Unfortunately, I have read some less than great reviews about it today, saying its far from the center and not up to par. Does anyone know this hotel? Is it worth trying to switch?

Thanks again for any help!!
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 02:54 PM

Dont worry the burlington is ok...a little wear and tear but very popular and mid range. If you are near Ennis in the West let me suggest "Kilmoon House" owned by friends of ours...lovely home with a family who make you very at home. They are on Kildysart Rd....and do take vouchers...tell them Marilynn sent you and you will be taken care of royally.
And anymore questions email me
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 03:01 PM

Here are two of mine:

http://www.geocities.com/obeirne_ireland_2002/index.htm

and:

http://www.geocities.com/obeirne_ireland_2003/

Just got back yesterday so the next installment is months away.

Bill
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 05:43 PM

Here's mine from Last year:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...llian_Chauffer

Bill: Glad to hear you're back. We leave Friday.

Bob
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 07:27 PM

Bill,

Welcome back. How did you like Donegal Thatched Cottages? Hope the weather was okay.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 02:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the information. After a mixed bag of reviews, we contacted our travel agent and are switching hotels. It's only 2 nights, but still...
I'm so glad that there are so many helpful people on Fodors!! It makes planning a trip fun. Thanks again!